Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:07:46 AM
714234 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  So it started with a short review for Get Smart, but... « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: So it started with a short review for Get Smart, but...  (Read 4713 times)
dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: June 26, 2008, 09:14:37 AM »

Ok so first things first, Get Smart.  I enjoyed it, and as a big fan of Steve Carrell and Alan Arkin, I got the nice relaxing movie experience that was fairly solid all the way through.  Rarely did it peak into brilliance, but it was a fun movie, with good set pieces and a good ensemble, including Dwayne Johnson who, after being the only good thing about Be Cool and a good role in the otherwise befuddled Southland Tales, is certainly growing on me as an actor rather than wrestler.

It very much seemed like they cast Carrell and wrote around his acting style, and the movie was much better for it.

And so overall it was a good way to pass some time: Not an all time classic and all out laugh fest but something easy to enjoy and just watch.

Now I must admit I can't give it a 100% review because of the following reason:

Went into cinema, sat down, and watched what seemed to be a never ending slew of ads and previews.  Being a new film they tend to tack on the ads so I figured we'd be in for a long wait.  Finally the film starts and slowly but surely a sickening terror starts to grip my soul...

And, as the creeping terror climbs and climbs it dawns on me.

I am in the wrong cinema.

And then the terror becomes reality as I realise that the movie I am about to start watching is none other than Sex and the City.    Buggedout  Buggedout  Buggedout

AH THE HORROR!!!!!!

Argh!

Anyway, my girlfriend didn't shanghai our movie going experience [she bought the tickets] but it turns out the teller misheard us and thought we said Sex and the City instead of Get Smart.   Go figure.  He just told us Cinema 1 and without even checking we just wandered in and sat down.

The cinema is notorious for being very quiet, but I should have twigged when only about half a dozen people were in the cinema, since as the first night of Get Smart I figured it would at least have some sort of crowd.

So after figuring out what happened, and staying my hand from my girlfriend's face [I'm not the type to get violent but Sex and the City DOES provoke reactions of an otherworldly nature] we went to the desk, found out where Get Smart was playing, and took a chance we hadnt missed much.

Seems like we missed about 20 minutes, so I must admit I can't give you a full review, but the good thing about big budget movies that are well written is that you can pretty much figure out what you've missed.

So in sum:

Get Smart- good film that was an enjoyable way to have a few laughs without switching my brain off way too much.

Sex and the City-  The 30 seconds I saw had Sarah Jessica Parker.  I'll proceed to my bed and the inevitable nightmares will be with me very soon.

TeddyR

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 11:42:15 AM »

You poor poor soul, there can be nothing worse than seeing any amount of Sex and the City.

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 12:29:39 PM »

I saw GET SMART right from the beginning, and I pretty much agree with Dean.  It was a good movie, but didn't have enough hilarious moments to be great.  Probably 1 belly laugh every 10 or 15 minutes, and a variety of minor chuckles in between.  I'm glad Steve Carrell retained the essence of the Maxwell Smart character without making the mistake of trying to impersonate Don Adams.  Even the artist formerly known as "The Rock" was decent in his supporting role.  Unless you are a die-hard fan of GET SMART (or Steve Carrell) you might wait for the DVD or cable realease of this movie.  There really isn't a need to see it on the big screen.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 02:25:13 PM »

I went on a date last week and the girl I went on a date with wanted to go see a movie so we were trying to figure out what to see so she says to me "How about Sex in the City?"  My answer to that was a NO.  So we get to the theater and we get there early so we sit on a bench that was by where the movie was playing so she goes how about we sneak into another film and I said "what do you want to see?"  My date points to a sign about 20 ft away that says "SEX AND THE CITY" and said "Do you want to see that Anthony?"  Again I answered with NO.  I also told her that I would have to be drunk to end all drunkenness before I even watch that film. 

I'm tempted to see Get Smart, but I have trouble with sitting in a movie theater so I will probably wait until it comes out on DVD before I watch it.   
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 04:07:35 PM »

What the heck is wrong with you guys?  You had a chance to watch with your dates a movie about sex and you passed it up?  Are you TOTALLY INSANE?

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
the master
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 04:11:15 PM »

im giving him karma because no one should watch sex and the city Bluesad
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 07:24:37 PM »

Sarah Jessica Parker and Sex is a oxymoron. The woman is not attractive in the least.

If I had a ticket for Sex in the City and the ticket person screwed up I'd be demanding a refund and free passes or I'd sue for cruel and unusual punishment.

dean

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 11:55:07 PM »

Funnily enough I wouldn't have cared too much if I saw the movie, I just wasn't in the mood, and the girlfriend didn't want to see it with me so all up that train wreck dodged reasonably well.

Could have got the money back, but figured since we didn't miss anything crucial and for the sake of driving to the cinema, might as well stay on board.

Only problem is after I got home I realized I should have got them to change the ticket stubs over to Get Smart so as it stands Sex and the City grossed two more tickets than it was supposed to.  Thumbdown

Ah well...

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 06:54:19 AM »

Finally the film starts and slowly but surely a sickening terror starts to grip my soul...And, as the creeping terror climbs and climbs it dawns on me.

I am in the wrong cinema.

And then the terror becomes reality as I realise that the movie I am about to start watching is none other than Sex and the City.    Buggedout  Buggedout  Buggedout

AH THE HORROR!!!!!!
Argh!
 TeddyR

Karma, Dean: that made me laugh.  Smile

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  So it started with a short review for Get Smart, but... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.