Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:59:03 AM
713335 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  What Was That Film?  |  Solved  |  Seeking bad giant squid movie... « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Seeking bad giant squid movie...  (Read 15898 times)
Jess
« on: June 28, 2008, 07:50:33 AM »

I've been looking everywhere for this movie and it must be a really bad one because I just can't find it. It's one that I absolutely loved when I was a kid.

It's an old island movie (black and white, I'm pretty sure) with the old style rubber suit monster and it's in english.
A giant squid comes up from the ocean and walks around on the island and tentacles people to death. It always leaves suction cup marks on its victims from the tentacles. I don't remember the end, but I know I watched it a million times when I was a kid and I can't seem to find any hint of it anywhere. Anyone seen this old movie?
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 08:10:33 AM »

My guess would have to be It Came From Beneath the Sea, about a radioactive six-legged octopus (because I guess calling it a sextopus back then would've been too risque...) that starts eating people in San Francisco until its showdown with the military atop the Golden Gate Bridge.  TeddyR

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 05:29:17 PM »

Guy in a rubber octopus suit running around on land? Could it be Octaman?

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 08:02:58 PM »

Guy in a rubber octopus suit running around on land? Could it be Octaman?

I was thinking of Octaman too, but if the movie Jess is thinking of was in black & white, it would've been something else.

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 08:47:51 PM »

Ye, but he also said the octopus comes up onto an island, walks around on land and leaves sucker marks on its vixtims.  Those are absent really from It came from beneath the sea.

The movie he's thinking of is a rubby guy in a suit-ICFBTS has Harryhausen's spfx.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 10:10:46 PM »

I was thinking of Octaman too, but if the movie Jess is thinking of was in black & white, it would've been something else.

I wondered about that too, but he wasn't completely sure about the black and white.

---------------------
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 02:59:29 PM »

Actually, this sounds a lot like "Yog" which recently was released on DVD under the alternate title "Space Amoeba."

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 03:24:14 PM »

Actually, this sounds a lot like "Yog" which recently was released on DVD under the alternate title "Space Amoeba."

Just looked it up. I really have to see that one.

---------------------
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 03:47:36 PM »

Wasn't Yog a colored film too though?

I'm sorry, "African-American" film...  TongueOut
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 03:49:40 PM by AnubisVonMojo » Logged

Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 04:31:44 PM »

Yes, but quite often I have encountered films that people remember as being B&W because their family owned a B&W television.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Undead
Dedicated Viewer

Time to play.

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 12:11:55 PM »

Okay. I must see that movie. I'm all about the Giant Killer Squid goodness but "Space Amoeba" is quite possibly the best weird alternate title ever. 

Can you yell "Movie!" in a crowded fire station?
Raffine

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 12:21:50 PM »

Yes, but quite often I have encountered films that people remember as being B&W because their family owned a B&W television.

And even after we had a color set, our local Shock Theater often aired color films in B&W, particularly Japanese giant monster films. I was surprised to discover much later almost all of the Godzilla and Gamera films were in color!

This was well into the 70's; I'm guessing they were airing old B&W prints left over from the days when most homes still had b&w sets. The same channel also aired all of the Popeye cartoons in b&w, even the later Paramount color ones.

I remember a friend who had moved away calling me very excited to tell me their local station aired Popeye cartoons in COLOR! I never dreamed such a thing was possible.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 02:36:22 PM »

I would have found that confusing if all the Popeye cartoons I saw as a kid had been aired in black and white. It's the easiest way to identify the good ones. BW=good.

---------------------
Raffine

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 02:52:55 PM »

I would have found that confusing if all the Popeye cartoons I saw as a kid had been aired in black and white. It's the easiest way to identify the good ones. BW=good.

We quickly realized Popeye's wardrobe had a lot to do with the quality of the cartoon.

Black shirt: Good
White shirt: Bad

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Hammock Rider

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 09:34:58 AM »

If you haven't seen it for awhile is there a chance it's not an octopus? If you substitute Giant Leeches for Octopus then it sounds alot like Attack of the Giant Leeches. It took place in the Everglades and it was B&W and there were big sucker marks. Plus Yvette Vickers was slinky white trash perfection. I'm just thinking out of the box a little. I know in the past I was absolutely sure that a beloved movie from my youth happened in such a way and then when I see it after some years it's almost entirely a different movie. But let us know if you find it, the world can always use a good giant squid movie.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  What Was That Film?  |  Solved  |  Seeking bad giant squid movie... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.