Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:07:19 PM
714241 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Hey...Clock « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Hey...Clock  (Read 6659 times)
Menard
« on: June 29, 2008, 10:53:55 PM »

Perhaps I missed a reply somewhere, but how is the job hunting going?

Last time you said you had an interview and seemed positive about it, but not too expecting. Have you heard anything back?
All Saints Day
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 11:01:05 PM »

Perhaps another victim of our political discussions... or perhaps religious...?? 
Menard
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 11:23:21 PM »

Perhaps another victim of our political discussions... or perhaps religious...?? 

Nyah.

I've been in a debate with Clock and seen him get into it heavily in political discussions. He can more than hold his own.
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

It's neVer over!

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 09:46:40 AM »

You mean Clockwork Canary? I just got a PM from him today and he sounds content, says he might get a very well-paying job, even though he's also mentioned some living conditions that sound very rough.

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
clockworkcanary
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 09:59:50 AM »

Hello all:

Thanks for the concern; I appreciate it.  Sorry I haven't been frequenting the forum as much as I'd like lately...and also been trying to stick with just bad/good movies when I do get the time so I haven't been checking the political folder here (aka off topic) :)

The interview I spoke of last time went rather well; they made me an offer about an hour after it was over!!  Can you believe that?! I've been interviewing at least once a week for the last couple months and I get to the point where I don't even expect to get it and I get the offer -go figure.  Not only that, but yet another place wants to interview me this week (before I start) and are offering me quite a bit more $$$, however I probably wouldn't accept it since it's only a 6-monther.

Anyway, just got back from the hair test and awaiting all the background checks, test results, and credit checks.  It's a lot to go through for this year long contract, but work's hard to find.  Anyway, if all goes well, and I expect it will, I will start my new job next Monday!  I worried about my credit check (since I haven't had good employment for a few months, the credit starts taking dings) but found out as long as I don't have anything over 2k in collections, I'm fine.  Last I checked, I'm only a couple hundred behind and it's not even in collections. 

More about the position: I'll be writing instruction manuals for a software application that's used in government medical related cases (hence all the background checks)...it's decent money and more job security than the last contract I had (which was only 3 months).   I really wish I could find a fulltime perm job but I'll take what I can get, especially in this region of the country; I'm just lucky I'll have a job period.

Of course, I won't be getting any income for a couple weeks but once it starts coming in, I can get everything caught up within a month, so I'm feeling good about things.  I'll also have a stable place to stay at least 'till I get my savings built back up.

Thanks for the concern folks - sorry I didn't respond to that one post with an update; at first I thought it was too good to be true.  But it's not on until it's on; I won't feel 100% about it until I'm actually there and working :)  But damn, it feels good to know I got something in the works.

How's everyone else's job situation?

Join us as we discuss all things schlock at Three Knock Theater podcast:

Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/197572800347267/

Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrLYkyXabfSwpcRQjhUMErQ
I am Kirok!
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 10:19:02 AM »

Hey Clock, that's good news!!  

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 10:20:16 AM »

Nice to hear all is well with you, clock.  Thumbup  Smile

Just one question: what is a hair test?  Question

My work situation: same job, different day. It seems I've always been a film archivist and always will be: next year, I'll have been doing this for twenty years!  Buggedout

The one thing that keeps me going is that the work is never the same: next week, I'll be at a film festival, presenting the films I look after. You would like to be in the cinema when the people there see someone in the audience get up and start chatting to them about the films coming up. Their expressions are quite priceless, I can tell you: hopefully I can borrow a video camera this time.  TeddyR
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 10:22:19 AM by Trevor » Logged

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 10:22:11 AM »

Good news Clockwork !!

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Menard
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 10:54:26 AM »

It's another invasive form of drug testing. With the hair test, they can check for drug residual that goes back further than what a urine test will confirm.

Like the credit check, it's another thing that is none of their business.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 04:54:54 PM »

Good grief, why don't they just ask for a spare set of keys to your house so they can stop by and go through your stuff whenever they want?

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 01:44:03 AM »

It's another invasive form of drug testing. With the hair test, they can check for drug residual that goes back further than what a urine test will confirm.

Like the credit check, it's another thing that is none of their business.

Buggedout Buggedout Thanks, Dr M: it might be winter here but I'm going to go have my head shaved. Now.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
clockworkcanary
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 07:02:10 AM »

Thanks all!  Hopefully a week from now I'll be at work instead of posting right now hehe.  But yeah, all these hurdles are quite intrusive.  I was stunned when they told me I had a hair test.  But it almost p**ses me off more about the credit check.  I mean, I hope it doesn't work out that I won't be able to get the job  just because I haven't had a job (hence the credit issues).  But I think I'll be ok.

Damned pleasure police.  I mean, I'm well-behaved now, but I had heard those tests go back several years and I wasn't always a good boy back in college all those years ago.   Anyway, I did some research and found out that most hair tests only go back 90 days so I'm definitely good there. 

So anyway, I'm 99% sure I'll have the job: no criminal record of any sort, no recent drug use, and only minimal credit damage. 

Join us as we discuss all things schlock at Three Knock Theater podcast:

Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/197572800347267/

Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrLYkyXabfSwpcRQjhUMErQ
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2008, 07:36:47 AM »

Hair tests are really discriminatory when you think about it - quite a few people have their head shaved these days.  Probably a bunch of wild party animal types too.  Maybe they would ask for a sample of hair from someplace else  Lookingup  And credit checks?  Egads...whatever. 

Anyhow, good luck with the job and hope to see more of you here!

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 08:16:45 AM »

Years ago I applied at a job that wanted to do a credit check on me, I told them fine I'd need a copy of the financial statements, assets and balance sheet etc. before hand that seemed fair.
Since they wanted to a credit check on me to see if I'm a reliable, bill paying, kinda guy. Then I need to know that the company had the financial stability and liquid assets to pay me and stay in business. Which I heard they weren't.

Well long story short they didn't hire me, and they ended up closing down within a year. Not because they didn't hire me, but I had heard before going in that they had money problems. So I wasn't going to take the job anyway if offered. To many places want to know to much, and I think if they are going to ask a lot of questions then they need to answer a few. Granted it's hard when you need to get a job, but in my "work for somebody else" days I just wouldn't let employers walk all over me.
Guess that's why I work for myself now.

Well good luck Clock on the new job and mo' money, mo' money.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 12:35:06 PM »

Congrats and good luck, Clock.

I think the credit check is more offensive.  It's reasonable to presume someone who uses drugs is going to be less reliable than someone who doesn't.  If I was hiring two close candidates and one failed the drug exam and the other didn't, there's no question who I'd choose.  It's not like you have a legal right to use drugs, and there's no expectation of privacy issue because it's just a contractual setting.

It's hard to see the relevance of the credit check.  All I can think is they're looking for people who have really BAD credit and lots of debts, assuming that they'll work harder and knuckle under because they really need the money.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Hey...Clock « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.