Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:00:31 AM
714147 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7732 Members
Latest Member: Larryfiste
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Street Fighter (1974) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Street Fighter (1974)  (Read 3820 times)
Monkeyface
Dedicated Viewer

« on: June 30, 2008, 08:38:26 AM »

When you think of a Street Fighter movie, do you think of that s**ttastic Jean-Claude VanDamme film from the mid-80’s? If you do, clear that preconceived notion of garbage out of your head, because for our movie to kick off our July Ninja/Martial Arts theme week, we’re talking about the 1974 Sonny Chiba fightfest THE STREET FIGHTER (aka Gekitotsu! Satsujin ken)! The one question you need to ask yourself before watching this is… Are you ready to get your guts kicked out?

Splattered HeadChiba plays as Terry Tsurugi - a mercenary master martial artists for hire who uses his own unique style, and will do almost anything for money. He gets hired to break Tateki Shikenbaru, a convicted murderer of of jail, and he decides to do it by using an ancient technique known as the “oxygen coma punch”, which makes Shikenbaru appear to have a heart attack on his way up to his pending execution. As they rush the felon to the hospital, Chiba and his sidekick Ratnose ambush and hijack the ambulance and deliver the murderer to safety. Back at his home, Tsurugi is confronted by Shikenbaru’s brother and sister asking about his whereabouts. When he refuses to tell them, a fight breaks out and the brother ends up jump kicking himself out of the highrise, splattering on the ground below. Tsurugi sells the sister into sex slavery, and finds out that he was hired by Yakuza to break Shikenbaru out of jail. They now want him to assassinate the daughter of a recently deceased oil baron, but the money isn’t right. Tsurugi decides that it’s time for him to protect the oil baroness now that the Yakuza wants him dead for refusing to work for them. The bodies pile up as Tsurugi kicks multiple asses and breaks piles of bones, and proves he’s the ultimate badass.

Read the rest at Internal Bleeding: The Street Fighter

asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 09:09:40 AM »

When you think of a Street Fighter movie, do you think of that s**ttastic Jean-Claude VanDamme film from the mid-80’s? If you do, clear that preconceived notion of garbage out of your head, because for our movie to kick off our July Ninja/Martial Arts theme week, we’re talking about the 1974 Sonny Chiba fightfest THE STREET FIGHTER (aka Gekitotsu! Satsujin ken)! The one question you need to ask yourself before watching this is… Are you ready to get your guts kicked out?

Splattered HeadChiba plays as Terry Tsurugi - a mercenary master martial artists for hire who uses his own unique style, and will do almost anything for money. He gets hired to break Tateki Shikenbaru, a convicted murderer of of jail, and he decides to do it by using an ancient technique known as the “oxygen coma punch”, which makes Shikenbaru appear to have a heart attack on his way up to his pending execution. As they rush the felon to the hospital, Chiba and his sidekick Ratnose ambush and hijack the ambulance and deliver the murderer to safety. Back at his home, Tsurugi is confronted by Shikenbaru’s brother and sister asking about his whereabouts. When he refuses to tell them, a fight breaks out and the brother ends up jump kicking himself out of the highrise, splattering on the ground below. Tsurugi sells the sister into sex slavery, and finds out that he was hired by Yakuza to break Shikenbaru out of jail. They now want him to assassinate the daughter of a recently deceased oil baron, but the money isn’t right. Tsurugi decides that it’s time for him to protect the oil baroness now that the Yakuza wants him dead for refusing to work for them. The bodies pile up as Tsurugi kicks multiple asses and breaks piles of bones, and proves he’s the ultimate badass.

Read the rest at Internal Bleeding: The Street Fighter

A simple correction the Street Fighter film that most people think of came out in the 90's.  It's bad but it's so bad it's good.  I think I'll have to watch it again one of these days.  I've been trying to get my hands on this film for a long time.  Netflix has it but they only have the R rated version and I want the uncut version.  When I buy some more movies instead of anime and video games I will probably see if I can get it.
Monkeyface
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 09:55:50 AM »

A simple correction the Street Fighter film that most people think of came out in the 90's.  It's bad but it's so bad it's good.  I think I'll have to watch it again one of these days.  I've been trying to get my hands on this film for a long time.  Netflix has it but they only have the R rated version and I want the uncut version.  When I buy some more movies instead of anime and video games I will probably see if I can get it.

There are some redeeming qualities to the 90s movie (in the form of cheese), I was just upset that it focused on Guile instead of Ken and Ryu who we all know are the main characters.

Here is a great Sonny Chiba collection that has the uncut Street Fighter.  It has a lot of great Chiba movies.

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 03:46:22 PM »

I have a Sonny Chiba boxed set that has uncut, widescreen versions of:

* THE STREETFIGHTER
* RETURN OF THE STREETFIGHTER
* SISTER STREETFIGHTER
* THE STREETFIGHTER'S LAST REVENGE

Pure heaven . . . this is a very entertaining series and some of the violence is really over the top.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 06:48:15 PM »

Street Fighter and Return Of Street Fighter are classics in every sense of the word.  I started out my love of Chiba with Street Fighter and I can honestly say that it is one of the best dude flicks of all time.

There are two major scenes in Street Fighter that deserve absolute applause and praise:

1.  The karate chop to the head seen in x-ray vision!

2.  The testicle ripping scene.  I remember yelling vehemently at my TV when I first saw that.  Chiba sealed his place in Bad Ass Hall Of Fame with that!

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 07:08:26 AM »

There are some redeeming qualities to the 90s movie (in the form of cheese), I was just upset that it focused on Guile instead of Ken and Ryu who we all know are the main characters.

Yea that was pretty lame that they did that.  It was cheesy but that's what makes it funny to watch.

I have a Sonny Chiba boxed set that has uncut, widescreen versions of:

* THE STREETFIGHTER
* RETURN OF THE STREETFIGHTER
* SISTER STREETFIGHTER
* THE STREETFIGHTER'S LAST REVENGE

Pure heaven . . . this is a very entertaining series and some of the violence is really over the top.

I need to save some money and I'm probably going to buy my first non anime dvd order in several months here in the near future (Probably September or late august).  I'll have it on my order.

Torgo

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 10:27:56 PM »

I like in Return of the Street Fighter where Chiba smacks a bad guy on the back of the head so hard the bad dude's eyeball pop out of his head in a most funny manner.

BTW, if I'm not mistaken, I think that the 1st Street Fighter film was the first to be rated X just purely for extreme violence.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Street Fighter (1974) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.