Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:12:56 AM
713326 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  Giant Turtles! « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Giant Turtles!  (Read 16393 times)
Ed, Ego and Superego
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: July 01, 2008, 02:27:30 PM »

I was reading the local paer and saw this:
Giant snapping turtles cropping up in mid-valley

http://www.gazettetimes.com/articles/2008/07/01/news/community/6aaa04_snappingturtle.txt

I'm going to start building my maser cannon now.  This is why I went into science!

-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 03:42:53 PM »

Man, if they are that freaked out by a regular snapper, I wonder what they would do if one of our good old Southern Alligator Snappers made its way up there . . .?  Those guys can weigh ove 200 pounds!!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 05:45:15 PM »

About 20 years ago, I encountered a snapping turtle stopped in the middle of the road, perhaps resting as he crawled across the quiet but high-speed road, and I pulled over to assist the bugger across...  At first I was unsure what it was, but Oh, that was a BIG UGLY turtle, he must have weighed 50 lbs., and as he snapped at me and my friend, he jumped in the air... I imagine he maybe jumped 8 inches or so, and we sure jumped back!!  The thing was extremely aggressive.  My friend and I found a branch and carefully nudged the turtle into the shallow ditch he seemed headed toward, and wouldn't yah know if he didn't immediately start climbing back toward the road.   Hatred   Question  We left.  

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 06:27:36 PM »

Man, if they are that freaked out by a regular snapper, I wonder what they would do if one of our good old Southern Alligator Snappers made its way up there . . .?  Those guys can weigh ove 200 pounds!!

Alligator snappers. I remember getting a good, close look at one of those at the zoo. Not something I'd want to meet without the barrier between us.

But that snapper in the picture looks no bigger than any I've seen. Looks like a nasty little bugger, but hardly a monster.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 06:46:51 PM »

Hey, in Oregon we are blessed by a lack of bad weather or nasty critters (minus hippies).   So we have to take what we can get!
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 07:01:09 PM »

Quote from: STUPID NEWSPAPER
Tom Carroll laughed that he had screamed like a little girl when he first picked up the turtle. But who could blame him? After all, the amphibian was 20 inches long and weighed 20 pounds. And it was trying to bite him.

Since when the hell was a turtle a amphibian? On my planet it's a reptile! Morons! Does this paper not have a fact checker?

Snapper are common around here, both the common regulars and alligators.

Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 07:32:10 PM »

OH NO!  IT'S GAMERA!!!

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 10:32:16 AM »

Buggedout

Yikes: that mouth! I DO NOT want that thing to bite me.  Buggedout

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Raffine

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 10:37:26 AM »

Man, if they are that freaked out by a regular snapper, I wonder what they would do if one of our good old Southern Alligator Snappers made its way up there . . .?  Those guys can weigh ove 200 pounds!!

Yeah, my first thought when I saw the photo was "Aaaw. Lookit the cute baby!"  TeddyR

We have a huge alligator snapper that lives in our creek. He crawls up to the yard when ever there's a heavy rain to wait it out. He's at least twice as big as the one in the photo, if not larger. It drives the dogs crazy, but they've learned to keep their distance. Everytime I see him the ten year old in me comes out and I have to try to make him bite a stick - which he always obligingly does.

We were always told if one bit you it wouldn't let go until it thundered, even if you cut its head off. We later wondered where all the people were wandering around with snappers attached to their hands waiting for a thunderstorm. We finally concluded they must be too embarrassed to go out in public like that.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 11:15:29 AM »

These are the guys you don't want to play with ... these guy looks to be about 100 lbs.

Not me, just a google image. I seen bigger at Reelfoot Lake and the swamps around here ... no I'm not going to catch one.

I just re read that article and in addition to not knowing a amphibian from a reptile. I don't think there biologist know the diet of a snapping turtle, they claimed it ENDANGERS ducks and ducklings ... I snapper lays on the bottom with its mouth open and has a little appendage in it's mouth that looks like a worm and fish swim into it's mouth to get the worm and BAM the mouth SNAPS shut soon as it feels a bite on the worm like appendage.

If I recall ducks eat mainly shore grasses and algae. The snapper is a opportunist not a stalker. Never heard of a snapper eating a duck, but it is Oregon and things are different out there.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 11:28:29 AM by CheezeFlixz » Logged

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 01:55:55 PM »

Tom Carroll laughed that he had screamed like a little girl when he first picked up the turtle. But who could blame him? After all, the amphibian was 20 inches long and weighed 20 pounds. And it was trying to bite him.

Since when the hell was a turtle a amphibian? On my planet it's a reptile! Morons! Does this paper not have a fact checker...?
Now you know why my "head explodes" when there is no editing.  "Fact checking" would be an editor's job, or a job the editor would delegate. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 04:29:55 PM »

That pic should go over to Humorous Captions. Very inspiring.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 05:11:56 PM »

That pic should go over to Humorous Captions. Very inspiring.

Get in my belly!

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
Raffine

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2008, 05:21:42 PM »

"Alright, wiseguy. YOU tell him to turn his head and cough!"

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2008, 08:11:36 PM »

Since when the hell was a turtle a amphibian? On my planet it's a reptile! Morons! Does this paper not have a fact checker...?
Now you know why my "head explodes" when there is no editing.  "Fact checking" would be an editor's job, or a job the editor would delegate. 

I wrote the writer of the article and this is the reply ...

I said  ... "A turtle is NOT a amphibian, it's a reptile."

Yep.

What can I say except that I didn't make that error, and our copydesk
now is well aware of this interesting bit of wildlife biology.

ko

I replied ...

You wrote the article, you own the error. Don't pass the buck.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  Giant Turtles! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.