Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:24:01 AM
713336 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  Huge Volcanoes May Be Erupting Under Arctic Ice « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Huge Volcanoes May Be Erupting Under Arctic Ice  (Read 7242 times)
CheezeFlixz
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pathetic Earthlings

« on: July 03, 2008, 12:56:22 AM »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,374542,00.html

With news this week that polar ice is melting dramatically, underwater Arctic pyrotechnics might seem like a logical smoking gun.

Yes logical, but global warming environMENTAList's wackos aren't logical ... let us read further ... shall we? We shall.

Scientists don't see any significant connection, however.

"We don't believe the volcanoes had much effect on the overlying ice," Reeves-Sohn told LiveScience, "but they seem to have had a major impact on the overlying water column."

Volcanoes have no effect on ice  Question ... this is a new science to me. See if you say volcanoes; which by the way are a tad warm, melted the ice above them, being that heat rises. It would kill a entire alarmist industry that has sprung up at the alter of Al Gore and all those scientist would lose million$ and million$ in funding to "study" global warming. The trick to government funded studies is to never find a answer, as soon has you have a answer the money stops. No answer, mo' money ... it's a no brainer.

I guess I'm old school, I'm going with the theory that  .... are you ready? ....

Volcanoes melt ice, but it's just a theory I'll need additional funding to substantiate it.   

dean

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 03:37:32 AM »

Didn't read the article since it all seems a bit non-sensical too me and I try and avoid things that hurt my brain after work.

Water puts out fire if you have enough water and not enough fire. Vice versa if you have too much fire and not enough water.

Same theory should hold true, so theoretically if I have enough ice, I should be able to put out a volcano.  Once that bad boy lava hits a massive shelf of ice, everything cools and solidifies, thereby plugging a hole like me without enough fibre.

One would assume that some ice would be lost in the process of course.

So yeah, if I have more lava than the ice, then bye bye ice, hello water.

I don't see this being any sort of smoking gun really for either side.  Unless there's thousands upon thousands of volcanos specifically under every ice shelf on the planet... 

Maybe we need a vulcanoligist of some sort to verify the process eh?

Wink

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
frank
Bad Movie Lover

"I'm a big boy now, Johnny."

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 05:06:20 AM »

First a few words on the foxnews article. I find a science related article stating that one mile equals 2000 meters highly dubious. If an article additionally includes a hyperlink of the phrase "lengthy crack", I usually quit reading.

I did, however, skim through the original nature publication mentioned. As I understand it, the position of the volcanic area is way off the pole area, meaning the ice is thin enough to use an icebreaker, which they did. Additionally, between this thin layer and the ocean ground are up to 4000 m ocean water. The volcano eruptions on the sea ground appear (logically) not to be the same as on the surface. Meaning, they accumulate solid matter on a top chamber which occasionally bursts. This is indeed a "hot" eruption, but no liquid magma shooting through the water. They calculated a eruption height of max. 2 km. Meaning the solid matter, pretty much cooled down when arriving at the maximun height, has barely made it half way up to the ice layer. Plus, the volcanic area is pretty small compared to the total area of ocean covered by ice.

I'm by no means a geologist, but I tend to agree that such events are likely to have no to little impact on the average water temperature in the oceans or the temperature at the ice layer of this specific region. It's not like throwing a bulk of ice into an active surface volcano.

Anyhow, they have cool names for the volcanoes: Loke, Thor, Oden, all of them germanic gods!

......"Now toddle off and fly your flying machine."
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 06:51:18 AM »

"We don't believe the volcanoes had much effect on the overlying ice," Reeves-Sohn told LiveScience, "but they seem to have had a major impact on the overlying water column."

The eruptions discharge large amounts of carbon dioxide, helium, trace metals and heat into the water over long distances, he said.

That just seems extremely contradictory.  If they're discharging large amounts of heat into the water over long distances, how could that possibly not have much effect on the overlying ice?  I'm no vulcanologist, but if they're having "explosive eruptions" as he says, the pressure wave from that could certainly have some effect on an ice pack above it, especially if it's thin enough for an ice breaker to get through it.  Water doesn't compress, you have an explosion someplace, the full force of it is carried through the water until it hits something.  One would assume it would cause the ice to break up, at least somewhat, or maybe a lot, and of course a lot of that ice would float away to the south and melt. 

That guy isn't nearly as bad as some NASA scientists who found that the Earth's oceans cooled significantly between 2003 and 2005, and nearly wet their pants trying to disprove their own data. 

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.cfm?release=2006-112

I wonder, if the data would have showed what they wanted it to show, how many of those numbers would have gotten double-checked?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 06:56:25 AM by Jack » Logged

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 09:34:56 AM »

First a few words on the foxnews article. I find a science related article stating that one mile equals 2000 meters highly dubious. If an article additionally includes a hyperlink of the phrase "lengthy crack", I usually quit reading.

I did, however, skim through the original nature publication mentioned. As I understand it, the position of the volcanic area is way off the pole area, meaning the ice is thin enough to use an icebreaker, which they did. Additionally, between this thin layer and the ocean ground are up to 4000 m ocean water. The volcano eruptions on the sea ground appear (logically) not to be the same as on the surface. Meaning, they accumulate solid matter on a top chamber which occasionally bursts. This is indeed a "hot" eruption, but no liquid magma shooting through the water. They calculated a eruption height of max. 2 km. Meaning the solid matter, pretty much cooled down when arriving at the maximun height, has barely made it half way up to the ice layer. Plus, the volcanic area is pretty small compared to the total area of ocean covered by ice.

I'm by no means a geologist, but I tend to agree that such events are likely to have no to little impact on the average water temperature in the oceans or the temperature at the ice layer of this specific region. It's not like throwing a bulk of ice into an active surface volcano.

Anyhow, they have cool names for the volcanoes: Loke, Thor, Oden, all of them germanic gods!

I would say the volcanoes eruption is like pillow lava, or some other sub ocean volcanoes ... it's not shooting lava up through the water. Being that warm waters can travel from the southern oceans to the northern oceans then it's not a leap to think water heated to several 100 degrees 4000 meters below the arctic could heat the water to above 32F degrees and cause melting.  Since the ice acts as a insulating blanket and the warm water rises it will gather and cause melting, more heat more melting and so on, granted the melting water will cool the warm water, but the continuous flow of warm water will re heat it and the cycle continues 24/7.

Pointing being there are great forces at work, greater forces then little old man can produce. It is highly arrogant of man to think they can change the entire climate of a planet.

But in my opinion the ironically liberal George Carlin said it best ...

It goes without warning it has language in it.

Small | Large

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 11:58:05 AM »

Carlin is brilliant, but his view of humanity and our purpose is very depressing.  "Just another failed mutation . . . "

I have a somewhat higher opinion of humanity.

Still, he makes the point very well.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  Huge Volcanoes May Be Erupting Under Arctic Ice « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.