Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:00:50 PM
713356 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The Olympics..... « previous next »
Poll
Question: Do you feel that the Olympics is just letting anything in anymore (no rules, boundaries, or set standards)???
Yes I do and is the committee on drugs? - 2 (18.2%)
Yes and I am fine with that. - 0 (0%)
I think I will boycott the Olympics this year and maybe forever! - 1 (9.1%)
What are the Olympics??? - 1 (9.1%)
No, every sport in the Olympics is a sport. - 0 (0%)
No, but they may be starting to slack a little. - 0 (0%)
I never pay any attention to the Olympics. - 7 (63.6%)
Total Voters: 11

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: The Olympics.....  (Read 13776 times)
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2008, 08:57:28 AM »

Good points Ulthar.  The way too much talking thing sticks out when Bob Costas hosted it years ago.  For some reason he kept bringing up the worst history in each nation's entry into the stadium.  I really think Costas like the sound of his own voice.

As for professional athletes, yeah that is ridiculous.  Especially with the original Dream Team who didn't bother to hide they were cats playing with mice during their games.   Lookingup

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2008, 09:33:24 AM »

Or maybe Olympic sport fishing.

Yes, Olympic bass fishing...I can see it clearly now.  Perhaps you could parlay that into Olympic hunting.  Which would parlay into fish fillet and wild game prepping competitions. 

Olympic barbecue competitions! Or even chili cookoffs!

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2008, 09:49:15 AM »

It's become commercialized like everything else. I remember when it was all amateurs. Back before the 84 Olympics, we had a genuine Olympian visit our class. He wrestled in the 76 Olympics but was, in 1984, a dentist practicing in a nearby town. That was cool. Your country's greatest athletes were regular people, living and working in their communities. I've met a number of Olympians and they've generally been regular folks with day jobs, unless they were successful enough to get into public speaking.

Let professionals into the Olympics (which is all about getting viewers and sponsorship dollars), and it just puts athletic excellence - or at least recognition for it - that much further of of most people's reach. A great athlete, today, must be a highly-paid professional, a celebrity, a member of the elite who must distance himself from his adoring fans. What a crock.

---------------------
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2008, 10:06:17 AM »

Ya'll ever see the movie COOL RUNNINGS?

John Candy has a great line in that movie - one of the best lines anywhere of any time.

Speaking of an Olympic Gold Medal:

"If you are not good enough without it, you'll never be good enough with it."

I paraphrase that to my wife and children all the time..."If you are not pretty enough without makeup, you'll never be pretty enough with it," etc, etc.

The Olympics used to be about personal (or team) excellence, the ability of ordinary people to rise to incredible heights.  Now it's about who spends the most money on training and technology to push human achievement beyond what is "natural" and into what is "engineered."  At least in some sports, the "pop" ones that are televised.

Used to be not so much about "winning" and how many Gold Medals (the Medal Count is a new phenomenon I think) as just being there was a privilege.  I think the degradation of the Olympics is part of the same "me" culture that has spawned such things as parents getting into fights at Little League games or high school football coaches getting fired after one losing season.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2008, 11:09:54 AM »

Reminds me of a news report I heard about Speedo's new swimsuit that is so form-fitting it takes 20 minutes to wriggle into. And swimmers are so crazy for the perceived edge it provides that some of them are trying to dump their present sponsors so they won't be left behind. That kind of kills the whole "Olympic spirit" thing for me. There's no honour in clamoring for the latest bit of technology and weaseling out of deals to get it. Screwing over people who supported you, just so you can gain a few hundredths of a second, that's something to be proud of. A$$holes.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 05:51:21 PM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2008, 11:22:22 AM »

Olympic DDR!
Olympic Pillowfighting!
Olympic Drinking!
Olympic Typic!

and...
Olympic Candy Bar Selling!

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2008, 01:15:38 PM »

How about an Olympic event with girls in bikinis jumping up and down? 

Oh, never mind...they've already got that.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2008, 02:51:15 PM »

Olympic overclocking.

Come to think of it, that would be an interesting downside to Olympic videogaming. You'd see some team stripped of their medals after officials discover they were using overclocked computers. Oh the scandal! Oh the disgrace!  TeddyR

---------------------
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2008, 05:23:14 PM »

The Olympics used to be about personal (or team) excellence, the ability of ordinary people to rise to incredible heights.  ...
Used to be not so much about "winning" and how many Gold Medals (the Medal Count is a new phenomenon I think) as just being there was a privilege.  I think the degradation of the Olympics is part of the same "me" culture that has spawned such things as parents getting into fights at Little League games or high school football coaches getting fired after one losing season.

Indeed.  Making the team was an honour and a privilege.

We used to get excited and inspired by a good performance; who did it and what country they were from were just details.  It was about sport and human achievement.  Greatness.  Funny how we had a much more 'global' attitude back when we were less connected.

As for the amount of interest: I think that has a great deal to do with whether one is actively involved in a sport that is represented. (And yes I do take offense at what is classed as 'sport' these days.)  Maybe that is why they are so eager to include so many ah, 'new' activities?  Just for the viewer numbers?

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2008, 06:06:14 PM »

Now that I think about it, that Olympian who visited my class nearly 25 years ago wasn't an Olympic medalist or anything. But he was there in 76, and that was impressive enough. It was extra cool that he was sort of local, and he took time out of his workday to come and tell us about the Olympics from the point of view of someone who was proud just to have been there.

Nowadays, if an Olympian visits a school, more often than not its a gold medalist who was front-page news and now gets paid to talk to people as a full-time job. You get the same "proud just to be there" speech, but the big win is still the focus, and everybody gets to touch the gold medal. Nothing wrong with it, but the dentist who didn't win at the Olympics was impressive enough to us kids, and maybe a bit more meaningful.

---------------------
JPickettIII
A BAD MOVIE IS A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE!
Bad Movie Lover

HELP! WE ARE STUCK IN A GOOD MOVIE!!!

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2008, 08:51:47 PM »

I have a few gripes with the Olympics in the modern era.

First, the biggest, is that they changed the 'rule' and started letting professional athletes enter.  I remember a time when you had to be an amateur, just some schmo who ran, or high jumped or swam or whatever.  Nowadays, it is people who 'what they do' is their sport to the point of the NBA sending a team a few years ago.

In my opinion, that single rule change completely destroyed the spirit of the "Games."

Second, when they changed it to every two years - summer/winter cycle.  When I was a young, I remember the Olympics being "special" because it only came every four years, and it was on/talked about pretty much from January through the summer.

Third, all the yakking.  JUST SHUT UP and let me watch some (the few that are left) otherwise ordinary people achieve greatness in what they love to do.  Man, I just don't really care about ALL this backstory...some, a comment or two, is cool.

Ulthar - You touched on some great points.  I totally forgot about having, overpaid profession athletes playing in the Olympics.  It should just be average joe schmoes who have excelled in what they love to play, not what the get paid to play.

I remember when it was every four years two, why did they change that?  Maybe it was for the money, the almighty $$$ is a big driving force or a Juggernaut.

And the commentators yakking it up.  I wish they would just give the pertinent facts and move one.

I was talking to my wife and mother in law about the Olympics (the paper mentioned Teakowndo, Softball and Power Lifting, to list a few) and I said why have Teakowndo and Softball???, they both said that I was just jealous because I could not do those things.  But I one upped them, I did both when I was younger.  There is nothing special about those sports.  I said to them, someone lifting all that weight (Powerlifting) is something special, not everyone can do that.

At the end of the conversation, my mother in law made a good point.  With out all of the filler sports and yakking it up, the Olympics would be very short.  How true she is.  Maybe we should make the Olympics shorter and just streamline it.

Sorry about the rambling.  I found my little soapbox.

Later,

John

\\\\\\\"Freedom is not free\"\\\\\\ or ///\"Where ever you go, there you are!\"///
JPickettIII
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2008, 08:55:33 PM »

Olympic overclocking.

Come to think of it, that would be an interesting downside to Olympic videogaming. You'd see some team stripped of their medals after officials discover they were using overclocked computers. Oh the scandal! Oh the disgrace!  TeddyR

What is overclocking??????????????????????????????????

\\\\\\\"Freedom is not free\"\\\\\\ or ///\"Where ever you go, there you are!\"///
JPickettIII
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2008, 08:59:01 PM »

The Olympics used to be about personal (or team) excellence, the ability of ordinary people to rise to incredible heights.  ...

We used to get excited and inspired by a good performance; who did it and what country they were from were just details.  It was about sport and human achievement.  Greatness.  Funny how we had a much more 'global' attitude back when we were less connected.

As for the amount of interest: I think that has a great deal to do with whether one is actively involved in a sport that is represented. (And yes I do take offense at what is classed as 'sport' these days.)  Maybe that is why they are so eager to include so many ah, 'new' activities?  Just for the viewer numbers?

You made some excellent points there Newt.  Karma for you.

JPickettIII
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2008, 09:11:56 PM »

I appreciate the maturity that has been expressed in this thread.  I honesty thought that complaining about a subject like the Olympics would get some mud slinging going.  I am glad that did not happen.  I also love the suggestions for the new sports,  Cheers, my favorites are the Olympic Bingo and the Farting one.  Great stuff.  I am glad to be a part of a forum that can give great insight as well as be light hearted to.

Long Live Badmoives.org!   Cheers

JOHN
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 06:47:47 PM by JPickettIII » Logged

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2008, 10:19:41 PM »

What is overclocking??????????????????????????????????

Overclocking is changing (usually increasing) the CPU and/or bus clock on a computer from the "factory" settings.

The way it works is that the CPU clock runs at some multiple of the system bus clock.  Let's say the system clock is 100 MHz and the multiplier is 12.  That gives a CPU clock of 1200 MHz, or 1.2 GHz.

Some main boards, especially those designed/marketed toward "high end gamers," allow these parameters to be changed.  So, you can increase the CPU speed by either changing the system clock or the multiplier.

It's a good way to destroy your CPU unless you are sorta know what you are doing.  Most of the time, the speed increases are marginal and it is more about "Bragging Rights," but sometimes they are pretty incredible - doubling the speed of the computer from it's 'advertised' speed in extreme cases.

Olympic Overclocking would be a GREAT spectator sport, especially if the games used to 'evaluate' speed and stability were fun to watch.  There'd be a lot of DNF's though, watching folks fry the systems they spend big $$ on.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 12:29:43 PM by ulthar » Logged

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The Olympics..... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.