Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:21:57 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Movie Blues « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Movie Blues  (Read 6157 times)
Sister Grace
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I found my mind in a brown paper bag...

« on: July 05, 2008, 07:44:19 AM »

I go to the video store and stare at the dusty shelves with disinterest. I get online and search through list after list made by netflix viewers in a sea of apathy. I skim over my home collection with a passing glance. In an act of desperation, I turn on the tube and flip through the movie channels.

GGRRR!! I can't find anything to watch at all. I think I'm getting 'movie blues'. I do this periodically. It seems to happen more when I'm not feeling well and sometimes after I have recently watched a really good movie. Usually I can solve the problem by renting a movie consisting of an anthology such as Trilogy of Terror or Campfire Tales. The same happens to me with books. I go through about two to three novels a week (unless i'm in mid-terms or finals) then suddenly I can't find anything to read. The suggestions that amazon.com that supplies me with is less than helpful (you read one really good romance novel about bound feet and automatically they think you are going to transition from sci-fi genre to Nora Roberts!  Hatred ).

Does this happen to anyone else? With such a lack of entertainment, the boredom is getting mighty thick around here...

Society, exactly as it now exists is the ultimate expression of sadomasochism in action.<br />-boyd rice-<br />On the screen, there\\\'s a death and the rustle of cloth; and a sickly voice calling me handsome...<br />-Nick Cave-
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 09:25:14 AM »

I get the hellish movie blues sometimes Hatred , my collection is quite small in comparison to some and not all of them are very good... It doesn't help that A: we have no Blockbusters or similar places very close by and B: That I'm apparently too young to order my own movies from the Internet.

The thing that usually saves me from movie blues is... writing my own screenplays, but that's a personal choice and can sometimes be foiled by lack of creativity.

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 09:50:14 AM »

The same thing happens to me, my solution is to read only on my lunch break at work, just finished "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein and "Odd Hours" by Dean Koontz, now I'll get the other Odd Thomas stories and read them too. I stopped going to Blockbuster for the same reason, aside from new releases they never had a great selection. What I do now is once or twice a month add some films to my Netflix, don't usually change the order they're in, every day or so I get a pleasant surprise in the mail.
Helps keep the movie blues to a minimum.

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 11:25:59 AM »

I just get regular boredom when I can't find anything to do even though I have plenty to do.  If I were you I would search review sites for a movie you haven't seen yet and watch it.  Or find a Disney movie, those are always good.

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 12:37:29 PM »

I get this way more or less with books more than movies.  I like mainly horror novels and all that come up are stuff by Steven King and Dean Koontz at the local library.  When it comes to movies, I used to get that way at video stores.  When those times hit, I usually grabbed something I kept putting off seeing over other films.  Luckily the online rental thing has offered up a variety but even that gets stale at points. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
JPickettIII
A BAD MOVIE IS A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE!
Bad Movie Lover

HELP! WE ARE STUCK IN A GOOD MOVIE!!!

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 09:34:28 PM »

It doesn't help that A: we have no Blockbusters or similar places very close by

If you don't mind me asking, were do you live that you do not have a Blockbuster or something similar?

Now back to the main part of the thread:

I get the "Movie Blues" every now and then.  I have a pretty good collection of what my wife calls "John" movies.  These are B movies mostly or movies that she has no intrest in; eventhough they might be very popular movies.  We also have a good collection of movies that we both agree upon too.  We also have the Direct TV DVR with a lot of recorded shows and movies.  Unfortunately; every now and then I get the blues, to remedy this, I spend time with my 2 1/2 year old son and wife, just pick a movie, read a good book (Way of the Peaceful Warrior is a good one to pick up), get on the best site; "Badmovies.org", or I get on Youtube and check out all of my videos in my "favorites list" (I could kill about three hours there).  Or just do all of them at the same time (lots of caffeine!).

If all the above fails, I just take some Ritalin and call my psychiatrist for an emergency visit.   Twirling Twirling Twirling

Thankfully the Movie Blues do not last a long time.

Anyone else see their therapist for the "Blues"?

Later,

JOHN

\\\\\\\"Freedom is not free\"\\\\\\ or ///\"Where ever you go, there you are!\"///
Sister Grace

I found my mind in a brown paper bag...

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 09:37:06 PM »

I get this way more or less with books more than movies.  I like mainly horror novels and all that come up are stuff by Steven King and Dean Koontz at the local library.  When it comes to movies, I used to get that way at video stores.  When those times hit, I usually grabbed something I kept putting off seeing over other films.  Luckily the online rental thing has offered up a variety but even that gets stale at points. 

I get that way too with books especially since some of the authors i enjoy are now either deceased or retired. The local library here is aweful..they don't even carry Jack Ketchum. I've been on the hunt for new authors here lately... if you are looking for some decent books (although you've probably read most of these) some of my old stand-bys are:

Tim Wagoneer (Pandora Drive was a good one)
Richard Laymond (always lots of gore)
Simon Clark
Tim Lebbon
Brian Keene
John Skip
Bentley Little (The Store is a great novel for people who hate wal-marx)
Wilkie Collins
David Morrell
F. Paul Wilson
Edward Lee (some of his stuff is good, some mediocre)
Charles De Lint
Al Sarrantonio
David Schow
Graham Masterson
Lisa Tuttle

Society, exactly as it now exists is the ultimate expression of sadomasochism in action.<br />-boyd rice-<br />On the screen, there\\\'s a death and the rustle of cloth; and a sickly voice calling me handsome...<br />-Nick Cave-
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 10:16:29 PM »

It doesn't help that A: we have no Blockbusters or similar places very close by

If you don't mind me asking, were do you live that you do not have a Blockbuster or something similar?
Well it's not as though I'm totally isolated from the world, but I do live in a well-wooded suburb, a good distance from "town". I could probably make it to the "local" Blockbuster if I could indeed drive, but it's not exactly a trip father wishes to travel to every other day to pick up or return a film that may or may not be there. Then, aside from Blockbuster I'm aware of only one good "used store" in the area, which is even farther and usually has a pretty bland selection.

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 05:25:08 AM »

SisterGrace,

Good to see someone else mention Bentley Little.  I just finished "The Vanishing" which a coworker told me that I would love.  They were right about that.  The guy has an odd style of writing but his mind is as seriously twisted as any other writer out there.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 07:21:09 AM »

When I get burned out,I try to hunt for movies in generes which I'm not into as much as my usaul....which is old horror and sci-fi. I went onna war film kick a while back,a blaxpliotation fling that lasted for about six months (a genre I still love-I really REALLY need to see BLACK SHAMPOO) or documentaries.I LOVE documentaries! Right now I'm exploring obscure 80's movies and crappy sequels (LEPERCHAUN 3, anyone?).

I read a lot to. I hunt garage sales and flea markets for old sci-fi anthologys and true crime books a lot.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 09:36:20 AM »

I think everyone gets the Movie Blues at times, I have a lot of movies, a lot and I find myself standing in front of them at times and going there is nothing here I want to watch. So I'll surf 'watch instantly' on Netflix and find nothing so I'll see whats on TV and gripe that there is 300 channels of crap on. 

So I have a few old standby watch anytime movies that I'll pop in to stave off the funk.

JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 02:15:38 PM »

I tend to do like RCMerchant, jump from genre to genre. Truth is, I'm always finding something new I like that often I didn't expect too....lately I've started watching far more classic B-Westerns and War films...some truly great Western stuff out there like THE SHOOTING and RIDE IN THE WHIRLWIND, both starring a young Jack Nicholson....war films like ATTACK (1956) starring Jack Palance in a terrific performance and HELL SQUAD (1958) starring Wally Campo. Much thanks must go to a little Canadian channel called Drive-In Classics where I've first encoutered some really underrated great little B-Movies as well as some truly bad have to be seen to be believed films. Also have starting to discover more classic TV through some of those cheapo public domain releases and find I really enjoy many of the classics especially "Bonanza", "The Lone Ranger" and "Mr. and Mrs. North". Can rarely go wrong with the classics be it in books, TV or movies.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Movie Blues « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.