Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:52:38 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Foywonder: Namer of Sci-Fi Channel Movies « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Foywonder: Namer of Sci-Fi Channel Movies  (Read 4676 times)
Foywonder
Bad Movie Lover

« on: July 07, 2008, 03:16:48 PM »

I got an email the weekend before last from Leigh Scott, a former director of Asylum movies who has since escaped The Asylum along with a bunch of other ex-Asylum employees who finally got sick of the whole mockbuster nonsense and the guy in charge constantly meddling with their films. Scott and company have gone on to form a new production company. More creative freedom. Bigger budgets.

Anyway, he'd previously sent me some info about their first film, a Lovecraft adaptation starring Jeffry Combs. You can read about it here. This time he sent me word that production had just begun on a new movie called WOLVESBAYNE that's sort of a werewolf HELLBOY co-starring Marc Dacascos as a Nazi vampire cult leader and Yancy Butler as his "Evil Lynn". You can read about it here.

But the one that stuck out to me was an extra little blurb he included in the email about a Sci-Fi Channel disaster movie they recently completed.

"We just wrapped an end of the world disaster film starring Gigi Edgely from Farscape and Stephanie Jacobson from Battlestar Razor and the upcoming ABC show LIFE ON MARS. The film is heavy duty sci-fi stuff (in concept, not the network) and involves cool stuff like time travel, quarks, strangelets etc. Justin Jones directed."

I asked him in a follow-up email what the title was and told me JUDGMENT DAY, but the network didn't care for it. I replied with:

"Sci-Fi probably doesn't like it because it lacks a colon and a subtitle. Bet if you called it JUDGMENT DAY: QUANTUM APOCALYPSE or COSMIC CATACLYSM: JUDGMENT DAY they'd go for it in a heartbeat. I don't know what their obsession is with titles like that."

If you've paid any attention to the Sci-Fi Channel and their original movies you'd know it to be true.

CAVED IN: PREHISTORIC TERROR
DISASTER ZONE: VOLCANO IN NEW YORK
GARGOYLES: WINGS OF DARKNESS
HAMMERHEAD: SHARK FRENZY
MAGMA: VOLCANIC DISASTER
NYC: TORNADO TERROR

Those are just a few examples. Heck, a few years ago Sci-Fi had a giant squid movie called DEADLY WATER. That may have been the worst title ever. That's probably why Sci-Fi decided to hold an online contest to come up with a new title. The winning submission was KRAKEN: TENTACLES OF THE DEEP.

My theory about it is that the first part before the colon has to be some sort of statement of fact, something basic regarding the film's premise. The second half after the colon is the hyperbole part that should make people think "Oh, ****!"

Minutes after I sent that reply he wrote back:

"Can I suggest Quantum Apocalypse if I give you credit somewhere? That is ridiculous enough to work."

An hour later I get this email:

"Oh, man. I just ran QUANTUM APOCALYPSE by the big guys....they love it!!!!

Congrats. You are now part of sci-fi channel history!"

So there you go. After years of watching and reviewing Sci-Fi Channel original movies I've now gone and named one. I tossed QUANTUM APOCALYPSE out there as joke and now it's the new title of the movie. Too bad they'd already filmed it because I would have told Leigh Scott if he really wants to credit me somehow for the new title he should name a character "Foy" and kill them in the apocalypse. Guess I'll just have to settle for a "Special Thanks" in the closing credits you won't be able to read when it airs on Sci-Fi because of how they squish the end credits to run promos.

Ah, well.

New Foyeurism is up with the third and I think best installment of my obsession with failed TV pilots from the depths of obscurity. Also have a great new Foycast up to. Links are in my sig.

NOW SHOWING IN FOYEURISM:
GOLDEN BAT - Feast your eyes on the wildest, wackiest, funkiest, Chiba-est Japanese superhero movie you've probably never heard of
B-WARE THE BLOG! - My blog devoted to the schlocktastic!
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 06:41:43 PM »

Suggesting a title that gets used in a Sci-Fi original movie is perhaps cooler than anything I've ever done in my entire life.  I salute you, sir!

Oh, and everytime I read your screen name I can't help but see "Foxywonder."  It brings to mind an image of Pam Grier.   

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 06:45:49 PM »

LOL, good title!  I'm always up for anything with Gigi Edgeley in it.  And an apocalypse, involving the word "qauantum" in some way, that's gotta be exciting!   TeddyR

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 07:45:10 PM »

Neat story, Foywonder.  Hopefully the title will remain intact - that is an astounding combination.

I guess it would be too late to suggest "Target: Mayonnaise" as an alternate title.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 09:49:47 PM »

I got an email the weekend before last from Leigh Scott, a former director of Asylum movies who has since escaped The Asylum along with a bunch of other ex-Asylum employees who finally got sick of the whole mockbuster nonsense...

...This time he sent me word that production had just begun on a new movie called WOLVESBAYNE that's sort of a werewolf HELLBOY
------------------------------------------------
...More creative freedom. Bigger budgets...

...But the one that stuck out to me was an extra little blurb he included in the email about a Sci-Fi Channel disaster movie they recently completed...

Smells suspiciously like disaster to me, Foy Wonder...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 09:52:21 PM by Mr. Briggs Inc. » Logged

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 12:35:42 AM »

Congrats on a moment of serendipity in the movie name game.

Might I suggest you run this title by them for there next film ....

Gigi Edgeley: Stripped Nakkid

They can figure out the plot and content on their own.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 05:07:27 AM »

Right on. That is so cool.

Also interested in that Wolvesbayne movie. Nazis, vampires and Yancy Butler. Sounds like a winning combination.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Foywonder: Namer of Sci-Fi Channel Movies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.