Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 12:02:40 AM
714253 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  VANTAGE POINT « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: VANTAGE POINT  (Read 4899 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: July 08, 2008, 07:35:35 AM »

I had been intrigued by the trailers for this one while it was in theaters, and I finally got to watch it last night.  It is an incredible, entertaining, confusing work with multiple twists along the way.

While giving a speech in Spain, the President of the United States is shot in the chest by an assassin.  Moments later, an explosion occurs in the lobby of a hotel about a mile away.  Then, as the scene of the shooting is still racked by confusion and panic, the stage the President was speaking on is blown up by a bomb.

A veteran Secret Service agent, who has already taken a bullet for President Ashton a year earlier, leads the investigation to find out who shot the President and why, and to apprehend the shooter.

Numerous eyewitnesses saw and filmed the event from different angles.  Each one of their cameras holds different clues.

This movie was very intense from start to finish.  The main event - the assassination - is shown about five times from five different VANTAGE POINTS, hence the title.  And without giving  away too much, you discover about 20 minutes into the film that the man who was gunned down on the stage was not the President but a double.

The movie certainly kept you sucked in, and didn't let you up for air until it reached its denouement.  The only disappointment was the lack of explanantion as to who was behind the attack.  You are left with hints of some big neocon conspiracy (of course), but it is never really fleshed out.  But all in all, this movie passed the big E-test I demand of all films . . . it ENTERTAINED me.

So what did everyone else think of this one?

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Monkeyface
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 08:36:48 AM »

I wanted to see this one too since seeing the trailers but just haven't had the chance.  Everyone I know who saw it said they liked it but that it gets confusing in parts.

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 12:16:56 PM »

I was thoroughly disappointed by this movie.  Dennis Quaid's character is very one-dimensional.  I couldn't relate to him and I didn't care if he caught the bad guys or not.  The concept of the movie is great, but the execution was lousy.  It turned into a typical "I've seen this 1,000 times" car-and-foot chase through the crowded city streets.  I wanted to see this when it was in theaters, but I ended up not seeing it.  So, I bought the DVD the first day it was released and watched it that night.  I couldn't get into it and my mind kept wandering.  So, a couple days later I watched it again hoping I would like it better the second time.  Nope.  Total disappointment.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 03:17:18 PM »

The trailers did make it look more interesting than it was, but my disappointment was more in the lack of resolution than in the overall execution of the film.  I thought the suspense and multiple angles worked.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Torgo

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 03:38:40 PM »

I've been aiming to catch this one on DVD but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Some friends of mine who have seen it said that they didn't like how many plot threads it supposedly leaves hanging at the end.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Neville

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 11:44:36 AM »

Hated it, but had a great time laughing at all its WTF moments.

Where to start? Well, at first they give you the same minutes several times from multiple perspectives... and then, when they reach a dead end, they just go "aw, forget it" and turn it into a normal movie. That's why I had to sit through all those repetitions?

And the whole last segment look like a cheapo copy of any Bourne movie. And the ending? WTF? Do all the streets in Salamanca end in the exact same spot?

So I say, crappy movie, and a wasted effort.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 04:09:18 PM »

Do all the streets in Salamanca end in the exact same spot?

Neville is right on target with this comment!  Amidst the running, car chases, panic, mayhem, explosions, shooting, screaming, crying, and general carrying on . . . just about every major character somehow ends up in the same spot on the same street at the exact same moment.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Monkeyface
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 09:14:33 PM »

And the ending? WTF?

Isn't it retarded how one inconsequential character can foil the months of planning from some obviously pretty smart, but ridiculously caring, terrorists!

CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 10:35:50 PM »

I thought it was ok, the constant repeat from each vantage point got a little annoying ... I was like ok I've seen that, no need to repeat it, show me the new stuff.

Knowing US secret service security I don't think it's very plausible plot. Roughly 400+ agents travel with the President, 380 you never see. So while something could happen, it's not likely.

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 08:47:36 AM »

We watched it last week.  I was a little disappointed in VANTAGE POINT as well.  We didn't really dislike it, just was not over-awed by it. 

Another run-of-the-mill flick that the makers think is SO CLEVER due to some trick (and I too was tired of seeing the same things after about the second time) - a variation on the washed-up-has-been saves the day (almost single handed), etc.

I think it could have been so much more.  Perhaps if the makers had gone for a more intellectual approach (rather than 'too fast, too furious' action), and focused on putting the pieces together during an investigation or some such, it might have worked better for me.

That said, it's certainly not a bad way to burn 90 minutes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  VANTAGE POINT « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.