Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:09:40 AM
713335 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Graphics Cards « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Graphics Cards  (Read 4150 times)
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« on: July 09, 2008, 11:44:45 PM »

I ordered a PC yesterday (this PC to be precise) because I've been needing a new one for a while and it seemed a reasonable deal.

The main problem I foresee is that it only comes with an integrated graphics card, which I want to update as soon as possible. Problem is, I'm not down with the kids today as to what I should be looking for.

Ideally I would like something for under $100, although I can easily bump that up to $150 or so. Anything more seems a bit much, unless you really think I should go for it. Keep in mind, I payed less than $500 for the whole system.

Some specs (also check above link):
PCI, PCI-E and PCI-Ex16 slots available.

I also like the idea of that SLI tandem card stuff. I can easily buy a card now and buy another card later when prices drop.

Let me know any suggestions, and I'll start scouring for deals.

Thanks.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 01:38:33 AM »

Try this ...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130317

It really depends on what you are going to do, graphics, gaming, animation, Solitaire and Mine Sweep.

This cards need at least 500-600W or larger power supply the spec on your system didn't say the size of the power supply. I put one of these in my kids computer and I had to up the Power Supply to keep everything running smoothly. It's a PCI-Ex16 slot which is a faster slot, but I'd say this is a good all around card, runs a tad hot, and is a power hog, but it's cheap (inexpensive).

I use a XFX GeForce 9800 really nice card the support excellent high res on multiple monitors, but not that cheap.

Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 02:26:29 AM »

Yeah, I noticed (later) that the power supply wasn't specified. I'd love to run good gaming on the computer, but it's not a powerhouse. It should arrive tomorrow so I can check it out.

Thanks for the input.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 08:56:52 AM »

This is what I'm currently using:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130334
An excellent card for the money at $149.99 ($129.99 with the rebate). That's quite a bit less than I paid for mine a few months ago.

PCI-Ex16 appears to be your only option. It is rapidly replacing AGP, which I see your computer does not even have.

There are still a few PCI video cards available, but trust me, you don't want one.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 09:00:20 AM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 01:33:31 AM »

Thanks to both of you for the input. I believe I'm going to go with CheezeFlixz' suggestion, although I am also going to have to up the power supply, since this computer came with a 300W supply.

Thanks again.

CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 01:55:34 AM »

Thanks to both of you for the input. I believe I'm going to go with CheezeFlixz' suggestion, although I am also going to have to up the power supply, since this computer came with a 300W supply.

Thanks again.

300W!! OMG! You did tell them you were going to actually USE the computer didn't you?

Make sure on upping the PS you it's not priority, some are like Dell and Compac which is now owned by HP are. You could end up with one that doesn't fit. (***cough**** like I did *** cough***)

One of the hardest things I bought was a PS, to get the fit, the right priority plugs etc etc ... all in the same unit. It was a pain.

I'd look at at least 750W or higher might be a tad large, but will handle expansion. The card should have recommend  PS size, but they tend to be the minimum. NewEgg's site has nothing on it, but the company website or user manual might, that and user reviews.

Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 08:36:59 AM »

Here is what I am using:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130319

I have two of these in an SLI mode which is a bit of overkill at the moment, but it certainly does run Crysis at a nice clip!

300W, Mofo!?  I can't imagine running a basic PC with a 300W PSU.  I have this one in my PC at the moment:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182087

It is by no means a monster PSU, but it handles both video cards, my dual-core processor and a couple of hard drives without any issues.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 11:31:22 AM »

Yup, 600 should be more than enough. I'm running a system with three hard drives, a couple of optical drives, a number of cards, several fans and a bunch of devices powered by the USB, and a 550w supply is doing me just fine. Just remember to get a decent brand.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 02:11:00 AM »

Thanks to everybody for the input. I purchased a 650 watt power supply from a company called Ultra. Everything has arrived and while installation was definitely a bit of a hassle, it was all pretty straightforward.

It's all up and running now. I installed Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, turned all the visuals up to max, and it runs solid as a rock. I'm pretty satisfied.

Only problem now? I have no games that will use even a fraction of what the card is capable of, other than Oblivion. Every game I have bought is at least a few years old, if not more.

Thanks again, everybody!

Mr_Vindictive

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 11:43:59 AM »

Thanks to everybody for the input. I purchased a 650 watt power supply from a company called Ultra. Everything has arrived and while installation was definitely a bit of a hassle, it was all pretty straightforward.

It's all up and running now. I installed Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, turned all the visuals up to max, and it runs solid as a rock. I'm pretty satisfied.

Only problem now? I have no games that will use even a fraction of what the card is capable of, other than Oblivion. Every game I have bought is at least a few years old, if not more.

Thanks again, everybody!

I quite like Ultra's products.  I've used their RAM in a few machines, a few of their cases and a few of their PSUs.  For the price, they are great products.

As for not having any games that will use the card's full potential, I highly recommend Crysis.  I have yet to see a piece of hardware that can handle that game with the settings cranked all the way up.  Even the developers say it will be a few years before we get to that point of technology.  Otherwise the game is a blast and looks gorgeous at even middling settings.

May I ask which card you ended up choosing?

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 02:08:15 PM »

May I ask which card you ended up choosing?

I went with CheezeFlixz suggestion, the GeForce 8800 GTS.

Yeah, I know all about Crysis, but never even attempted to try and install it. There's a couple interesting zombie games coming out, Left 4 Dead and Dead Island. I'll probably end up buying Fallout 3 when it comes outl

Mr_Vindictive

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 04:33:28 PM »

Left 4 Dead looks like an absolute blast.  Anything that Valve touches seems to be pure magic and this looks to be no different.

Fallout 3 from what I've heard from quite a few people that played it at E3, is basically a copy of Oblivion in the Fallout universe.  I've heard that the world is not nearly as large but then again you have to walk everywhere you go in this game as you don't have a horse or any other type of transportation.  Everything else, gameplay wise, seem to be ported over from Oblivion, including the graphics.  I had one person tell me that the looting mechanic in the game is the EXACT same as Oblivion.  I guess when you have pure gold, it makes sense to continue it on.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Graphics Cards « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.