Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:02:20 PM
713368 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  Atlanta to Be Stripped of 'Men at Work' Signs After Complaints of Bias « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Atlanta to Be Stripped of 'Men at Work' Signs After Complaints of Bias  (Read 15881 times)
CheezeFlixz
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2008, 01:57:18 AM »

Yes, you should "clam" confusion...

Oh clam up.

frank
Bad Movie Lover

"I'm a big boy now, Johnny."

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2008, 02:34:44 AM »

Pretty soon we'll have to change the term woman to woperson,
The latest one on campus here (UC Santa Cruz - hippy central) is "wymyyn"

With three y's.

I have no idea.

But three is wrong, and y doesn't make sense either. It should be two X, like womxxn, or wxmxn, or woxmenx. Accordingly, "men" should be myxn then, or mxyn, or x-myn! Hey, I like the last one!

......"Now toddle off and fly your flying machine."
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2008, 07:38:33 AM »

In Minnesota, we've got two seasons:  Winter and highway repair.  I've seen hundreds and hundreds of work crews, and in all that time I've seen two women working on those crews.  Both times they were holding the sign that says "slow" on one side and "stop" on the other.  So the signs need to be changed to reflect the fact that the crews aren't 100% male, but only 99.9% male.  Yup, that's important.  I can just imagine a couple of total idiots patting each other on the back for making the world a better place.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
dean

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2008, 09:03:07 AM »

Pfft, whilst it all seems a little silly to bother with something like this, I find it funny that all the signs here say 'workers ahead' and have for as long as I can remember [which admittedly is getting more like a goldfish these days...]

Is "men working" a common sign in the states as opposed to this new option?  From the vague mention in the article it seems like it is.  Isn't a sign saying 'men working' kind of an oxymoron when referring to roadside workers?

Reminds me of Cuba where you'd see people working on buildings/roads and you'd have ten people on site: 8 standing\around while 2 do all the work [this was fairly common as far as I saw at least.]  Thumbup

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2008, 10:13:31 AM »

Here is the BLACK HOLE STORY ...

Texas County Official Sees Race in Term 'Black Hole'

What do "black hole," "angel food cake," and "devil's food cake" have in common?
They're all racist terms, says a Dallas County, Texas, official.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,380143,00.html

John Wiley Price is a idiot. The day BLACK HOLE becomes a racist term is a RED LETTER DAY. I mean I'm trying to WHITE WASH the story, but to be this easily offended is just YELLOW. I know next we'll offend aliens if we feel BLUE or even GREEN with envy.

Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2008, 05:50:24 PM »

Or we could just mark the doors XX and XY.

What about people with chromosomal diseases where it's XXY or XXX or sometimes XO and that sort of thing, we can't have a miscellaneous bathroom because that's discrimination.

Here is the BLACK HOLE STORY ...

Texas County Official Sees Race in Term 'Black Hole'

What do "black hole," "angel food cake," and "devil's food cake" have in common?
They're all racist terms, says a Dallas County, Texas, official.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,380143,00.html

John Wiley Price is a idiot. The day BLACK HOLE becomes a racist term is a RED LETTER DAY. I mean I'm trying to WHITE WASH the story, but to be this easily offended is just YELLOW. I know next we'll offend aliens if we feel BLUE or even GREEN with envy.

Seriously, with all the racism in the world you would think this guy has better things to do than eliminate the usage of color in names.  You know what, nobody can be green with envy anymore because green is the color of Ireland.  And Yellow by Coldplay, let's just delete that song from our memories because it's obviously an Anti-Asian song.  Don't even get me started on Goo Goo Doll's Black Balloon or the term Yellow-Bellied Coward.  actually, does anybody know how we got the term Yellow-Bellied, because that might actually be referring to Asians considering how old it was.  Still, I think this guy is just paranoid.

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2008, 09:00:27 PM »

Yes, repainting signs will destroy us all!!! Lookingup

I don't think he's talking so much about this one example, but rather about the routine wasting of limited time, money and resources on superficial and sometimes awkward changes to spare the feelings of the easily offended.

I'm with you, as long as you concede that the anti-Political Correctness crowd has become just another easily offended constituency, expending righteous indignation over superficial changes, regardless of whether their sensible or not.   

John Wiley Price is truly an idiot and has no business being involved in government at any level.  He is also the man responsible for getting Drive-In movie critic (and permanent Rev. Powell signature fixture) Joe Bob Briggs fired from his job at the Dallas Times Herald (read story here).   He's the first guy I thought of when I heard "black hole", "racist"  and "Dallas county commissioner" mentioned in the same sentence.  Then I thought, there's no way this could be the same guy; even Dallas couldn't re-elect this guy for 20 years.  A quick trip to Google proved that I vastly overestimated the collective intelligence of the voters of District 3.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2008, 09:14:14 PM »

I'm with you, as long as you concede that the anti-Political Correctness crowd has become just another easily offended constituency, expending righteous indignation over superficial changes, regardless of whether their sensible or not.   

I'll give you that, but that seem to be the only language the PC, loony far left crowd understands is loud and indignant so since I have to learn more than one language (Nobama) I'll learn the language of loud and in your face, because sensible logic is just not working.

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2008, 09:19:00 PM »

Actually, ol' Price was NOT the one who demanded an apology.  Of course, he couldn't keep his mouth shut once the meeting was over, either.  He has been arrested for illegal protests more times than I can count.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2008, 09:27:41 PM »

Actually, ol' Price was NOT the one who demanded an apology.  Of course, he couldn't keep his mouth shut once the meeting was over, either.  He has been arrested for illegal protests more times than I can count.

You're right: my bad.  Apparently he has a lapdog that's just as insane as he is.

Do you live in the Dallas area?  I lived there from 1986-1992, and I remember Price making headlines a few times.  I'm a bit shocked that he's still around. 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2008, 10:29:47 PM »

I agree, and I think it demonstrates the utter futility of trying to be completely inoffensive. The very act of doing so is offensive to some people.

Of course, that offense doesn't seem to be taken as seriously either.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2008, 10:42:28 PM »

I agree, and I think it demonstrates the utter futility of trying to be completely inoffensive. The very act of doing so is offensive to some people.

Of course, that offense doesn't seem to be taken as seriously either.

Now I'm offended by that and I a want, nay DEMAND and public apology and 24 hours new coverage and analyst with at least a minimum of 15 pundits, 6 for, 6 against and 3 indifferent. Perhaps a pie chart and some sazzy graphics too. oh and one call in show for public opinion and maybe a talk show ... somewhere in Canada, a new one.
Damn people are so insensitive.

Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2008, 06:22:48 PM »

...  actually, does anybody know how we got the term Yellow-Bellied, because that might actually be referring to Asians considering how old it was...

Patient7: Yes it is old.  It was once thought that the seat/source of courage was the liver (in the belly).  If your liver is not functioning properly, you become jaundiced which = yellow.  So: if you did not have the nerve (belly) to do something, you could be called 'yellow-bellied' since obviously your liver was falling short in courage production.

(Now back to our regularly scheduled discussion:  )

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  Atlanta to Be Stripped of 'Men at Work' Signs After Complaints of Bias « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.