Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:34:03 PM
714380 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  So . . . anybody else here raise livestock? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: So . . . anybody else here raise livestock?  (Read 5812 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: July 12, 2008, 09:43:15 PM »

I was just wondering.  My wife and I have been raising Boer Goats for about three years now, and we love it.  They are curious, gentle creatures and really don't stink like goats are supposed to.  These are meat goats . . . many of our young ones we sell probably wind up in fajitas . . . but the permanent breeding herd we keep are all named, and they are our pets.  Here they are moving through the pasture . . .

And here is our mighty stud goat, Leon the Magnificent.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
CheezeFlixz
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 10:39:06 PM »

Growing up on a farm, it never left my blood I have several acres and have raised a few things, chicken and cattle mainly. Hogs stink, use to have sheep and goats, I think we've raised it all, even had buffalo, beeffalo, emus, peacocks etc.

Looked at putting in some commercial catfish farm ponds and crawdads. I have a neighbor that does freshwater shrimp.

Right now my work load prohibits really do much farming, a couple of large gardens and a few animals is all I can manage right now.

In a few years when I'm to tired to build houses I'm going back to full time farming, always enjoyed it always will.

Matter of fact got my first sweet corn today, Candy Corn and Peaches & Cream usually have had it for a few weeks but had to replants do to flooding. And let me tall you, just plain without anything on it, it's fantastic ... frankly some of the best I've ever grown. Last year we had a drought, this year has been nearly perfect my garden is running over, big time.   

Menard
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 10:53:50 PM »

Growing up on a farm, it never left my blood...   

Hey Indy

Did you know that Cheezey majored in animal husbandry in college?

...till they caught him at it

(try as I might, I couldn't resist working that one into this conversation)
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 11:03:43 PM »

Virtual karma to Menard for that one!!!!! TeddyR

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 11:09:28 PM »

The only livestock I ever raised was children....

I still have two left,though. (cue weird horror movie music: Oooooooooooooooiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeoooooo.....)

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 11:47:15 PM »

Hey Indy

Did you know that Cheezey majored in animal husbandry in college?

...till they caught him at it

(try as I might, I couldn't resist working that one into this conversation)

Looky there more high intellect from Little Bopeep.

Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 12:50:13 AM »

Horses.  Since the early 1970's.  We currently have 17 of them, 6 of them 'homebreds'.  Horses may be in a sort of grey area when it comes to being livestock; they're more like pets if they are not for eating (and mine aren't) but all the requirements for raising and keeping them put them in the livestock category.  Close enough?

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
sprite75
The Cat Herder of Badmovies

I'm a Mac...

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 02:17:45 AM »

My dad and a couple of his brothers own dairy farms together with Holstein cows.

God of making the characteristic which becomes dirty sends the hurricane.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 07:21:29 AM »

On a more serious note....I live in farm country. To smell pig sh1t is to smell the country. When I was young I helped feed cows and pigs (mostly pigs). I would help butcher them too. And trying to catch a loose pig is quite a trick. Butchering them was a job I knew how to do...but wasn't wild about.

I like chickens,though. Messy nasty critters,but for some reason I think they're cool. Except for mean roosters...My neighbor Charlie....(quite a long time back,) had a real mean one. If you got too nosy he would attack you.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 07:44:32 AM »

I grew up next door to a dairy farm and used to spend all my time hanging out with the kids over there, riding out little Honda dirt bikes around.  I've always admired the peacefulness of that lifestyle.  A lot of my daydreams involve owning a little dairy farm out in rural Minnesota.  Almost thought of buying one once, but my wife let me know - in no uncertain terms - that she was not a farm girl. 

Youv'e got a beautiful farm Indiana - just one question:

What the hell is on that goat's butt?

It looks like he's been drinking laundry detergent and now he's having a little trouble peeing.   TeddyR

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 08:26:53 AM »

I grew up on a farm, and as a small child was chased by calves and turkeys (mean buggers), scratched up by rabbits, and was probably overly cruel to chickens. I don't think I was cut out for raising livestock. I'd love to live in the country again, with the nearest neighbor about 10 miles away, but I doubt I'd do too well with raising anything but my kid and my cat. Still, very nice looking place you've got there, Indiana. I've got some friends west/northwest of Austin that raise emus and goats (or at least they used to; I've lost touch with them), but I have never felt that desire myself.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2008, 08:28:00 AM »

That is another white goat behind him, Jack!!!!!

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2008, 10:00:26 AM »

Oh, okay.  Sorry, I get a little confused sometimes  TeddyR

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Menard
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2008, 10:04:52 AM »

What the hell is on that goat's butt?

Just think of the worst possible reply I could make to that and sign my name to it.

You get extra credit if it involves mention of Cheezey. BounceGiggle
Eyesore
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2008, 10:05:36 AM »

I was raised on a ranch. My Dad and Granddad ran a few hundred head of cattle, mostly Limousin and Angus. I don't know much about goats though, but I do like birria!
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  So . . . anybody else here raise livestock? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.