Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:13:58 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Mamma-Mia, more like Mamma-Mia this movie's going to suck. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Mamma-Mia, more like Mamma-Mia this movie's going to suck.  (Read 13458 times)
Patient7
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« on: July 15, 2008, 08:04:14 PM »

I can tell right now that this movie is bad, and not good-bad the way we all love but just a pitiful attempt to lull us into a They Live style of dullness.

I have not seen it nor will I ever watch it even if you tied me to a chair and taped my eyelids open.  Why?  Because it's pointless!  Even if by some miracle someone decided they would want to see this they'd watch the play.  But no, let's take this pathetic excuse for a premise and make a blockbuster extravaganza from it!  Seriously, I have 3 possible daddies that I never met before, should I take a DNA test to figure out who it is?  NO!  That's easy and simple, let's have a crazy scheme to pick out my real father.  Not only that but pretty much every person in this movie is uglier than The Elephant Man, and the previews want to make me shoot myself with a nail gun.  I'll stop now for fear of my head exploding.

Don't watch this sad excuse for a movie! EVER!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 08:07:14 PM by Patient7 » Logged

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
Underbelly
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 09:01:28 AM »

Hey, I wouldn't be so quick to judge this film.  Movies like Citizen Kane and Casablanca were both panned by the critics when they first came out. Even It's a Wonderful Life was never a classic until it began being shown on TV. A movie like Mamma-Mia . . .

Oh, who the hell am I kidding! Of course it gonna suck! It's Abba music for Christ sake! I'm old enough to have lived during Abba!'s hayday It wasn't pretty! God help us all . . .

But for the record, Abba made a film called Abba: The Movie (1977) that is just bad enough to be laughable (If you can deal with the music)

Sister Grace

I found my mind in a brown paper bag...

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 10:42:49 AM »

oh god! these previews are making me have flashbacks of Rent and From Justin to Kelly; oh the perils of having a fouteen year old niece....  hot

Society, exactly as it now exists is the ultimate expression of sadomasochism in action.<br />-boyd rice-<br />On the screen, there\\\'s a death and the rustle of cloth; and a sickly voice calling me handsome...<br />-Nick Cave-
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 12:02:17 PM »

I saw it on Broadway and survived...barely.  Of course Broadway shows are going to be made into movies eventually.  However, the ongoing trend seems to be reversing.  Taking films like Legally Blonde and Dirty Rotten Scoundrals and making them into Broadway shows.  The whole thing is lame IMHO.   

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
JJ80
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 01:45:57 PM »

I don't think that Abba are too bad a band, if a little dated. I seem to remember that Elvis Costello cited them a as influence. (Just listen to the piano motif on "Oliver's Army".) However the move itself looks like the stuff of nightmares for someone like myself who hates musicals (even "The Forbidden Zone"). All that winsomely energetic, over drilled song and dance dross does my head in every time.
Captain Tars Tarkas
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 02:05:00 PM »

I liked the musical play, but I am not too sure on the film.  Though I think my wife may make me take her.

Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 04:10:57 PM »

Hey, I wouldn't be so quick to judge this film.

I really thought you were serious there, what a relief.

oh god! these previews are making me have flashbacks of Rent and From Justin to Kelly; oh the perils of having a fouteen year old niece....  hot

I am so sorry for your turmoil.

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 05:05:49 PM »

Actually Sister there is nothing worst than From Justin To Kelly when it comes to movie musicals.  I reviewed it, it was awful. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
dean

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 03:49:22 AM »

My girlfriend was a big fan of the play and went and saw the movie the other day.  I'm glad to say I participated in neither of them, but her feedback was the movie was horrible.  Something about you shouldn't get the director of the play be the director of the movie... 

Anyways, one of her biggest complaints was that some of the musical numbers weren't even Abba songs.  Seems a bit silly doesn't it?

So score one for the anti Mamma Mia movie poll.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 06:32:55 AM »

Last week I saw a commercial for this film on TV and my oldest nephew who is 4 was in the living room when it was on and said to me "Mommy sings songs from that all the time".  I'm not really huge on musicals so I will most likely not watch this movie.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 08:36:13 AM »

Actually Sister there is nothing worst than From Justin To Kelly when it comes to movie musicals.  I reviewed it, it was awful. 
Unless you count High School Musical, but I suppose that shouldn't really count, as it's a tv movie made for kids.

But damn is it terrible.  Only high point of that is it stars Ashley Tisdale, who I find attractive (she's in her 20's, so it's okay to say that.)

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
GLKnight
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 02:31:14 AM »

I can't wait for Evil Dead: the Musical: The Movie! Lookingup

And, yes. It is FREAKING hilarious. And full of cursing (both Candarian style and bad language) and gore galore (we're talking first three rows soaked in fake blood, Gallagher-style). If you're a straight guy, female, or just a gore hound, go see it live.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 02:35:06 AM by GLKnight » Logged
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 03:45:37 AM »

I saw the trailer, heard Merryl Streep and Pierce Brosnan "sing" and went  Buggedout Buggedout Buggedout Buggedout Buggedout

On the poster, Stellan Skarsgard is smiling as if he knows what was in that case in RoninTeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Hammock Rider

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 03:21:22 PM »

I saw the trailers and thought that there was no way I'd ever see this movie (and with the same conviction as Quint saying he'd never wear a life jacket again). I don't know why but then I started thinking that maybe I would see it IF Ed O'Neil aka Al Bundy was in it as one of the "Dad Candidates", as Al Bundy. He could just walk around and Bundy up the joint while all the colorful,winsome, sincere and well scrubbed cast memebers looked on in horror. I can't explain my reaction, that's just what happened. But I bet it'd make for a better movie.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
the master
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 03:51:17 PM »

(still waiting for manos musical)
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Mamma-Mia, more like Mamma-Mia this movie's going to suck. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.