Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:38:57 PM
714351 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  What do you buy? (Country of origin.) « previous next »
Poll
Question: Do you look for 'native' brands or products first?
Yes, I try to buy products of my home country.
Sometimes, but not that much.
I buy what I want from where ever it's from.
No, never look at the 'Made in .." label

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What do you buy? (Country of origin.)  (Read 3416 times)
CheezeFlixz
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pathetic Earthlings

« on: July 07, 2008, 08:48:14 AM »

I tend to be a country loyalist, I'm American and I try to buy "Made in USA" first. I know we have member of other countries so I don't want to 'disclude' them.

I find that if I can't find it "Made in the USA" I tend to buy from other English speaking countries before others. With the exception of Japan and Germany which tend to believe in quality. Granted I don't see a lot of products made in Australia or New Zealand or the UK for that matter.

Why? Maybe that makes me a 'groupist' but I don't care.

I know I'm sick (no pun) of dangerous and poison toys, goods and food from China, not to mention ripoffs, bootlegs and faulty products from them. Fish raised in unhealthy conditions from Chili, tainted vegetables from Mexico and central America.

I don't want junk made from child labor in India, Indonesia, Taiwan (China), Honduras, or any other of a number of countries.   

Now I have no problem with the people of these countries, but for many, many years I worked for a big Japanese Machine Tool Company going all over the world installing assembly lines until they moved and I took a buyout. Traveling to China, Mexico and everywhere else really opens your eyes to who cares about quality and who doesn't.
Mexico and China just want the line running first and meeting spec's (quality) second, safety third.  So I avoid there products when ever I have a alternative which is becoming harder and harder to find at time.

But that's why companies go there to operate, few rules and regs, cheap labor and big profits. Just look at all China is doing to "clean up it's act" for the Olympics I've read they've temporarily closed over 400 factories around the Olympic site to improve the air and water quality, but it might be to little to late.

So do you try to buy from your home country or pay little attention to it?

Menard
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 02:00:25 PM »

There's only one label I can afford to look at right now, and that's the price sticker.

If I don't buy something, it has nothing to do with the country in which it's made, to me, it has to do with recognizing a brand name with which I have had poor service.

Usually, in the past when I could afford to make more choices, I would be more brand loyal when I found a good item at a good price. This isn't the past anymore and my car consumes more of my budget than I do.

Sorry if I'm not selective enough for you, but there are plenty of people who are just trying to make it till the end of the week. I would guess that many of us don't give a damn if a gook, spic, darkie, or whatever other designations you may want to place on people, put their hands on it before we got it.

BTW....

(You never tire of that, do you?) TeddyR
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 02:31:21 PM »

I love you Menard (no, not that way!)

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 02:48:32 PM »

Other than trying to avoid Chinese stuff, I guess I don't really pay attention.  Of course, the wife just bought two fans made in China:  One makes a high pitched noise, the other is out of balance and vibrates a lot when turned to any speed other than the lowest.  If they even turned the freakin' things on before they left the factory, it would be impossible to miss.  I guess I'll put them next to the made in China microwave that died after 8 months, and the made in China wall clock that died after about 36 hours.  Just hanging on the wall, it's a clock.  It lasted a day and a half.  Whatever.  At least the cat is still alive.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 04:54:41 PM »

There's only one label I can afford to look at right now, and that's the price sticker.

If I don't buy something, it has nothing to do with the country in which it's made, to me, it has to do with recognizing a brand name with which I have had poor service.

Usually, in the past when I could afford to make more choices, I would be more brand loyal when I found a good item at a good price. This isn't the past anymore and my car consumes more of my budget than I do.

Sorry if I'm not selective enough for you, but there are plenty of people who are just trying to make it till the end of the week. I would guess that many of us don't give a damn if a gook, spic, darkie, or whatever other designations you may want to place on people, put their hands on it before we got it.

Perhaps you wanted just be trying to make it to the end of the week if you supported your local economy. Perhaps you have a better job in a more secure job market, but this buy it as cheap as I can mentality is exactly why you get what you pay for as Jack noted.
You get what you pay for and you end up replaces some cheap piece of crap 5 or 6 times when you could have bought a higher priced item of better quality once and in the end you've spent more money buying garbage. But people would rather go to Wal Mart and buy some crap 10 times for $10 than to go to a local store that supplies quality goods and pay $75 once.

But if folks want to tolerate rolling back the quality along with rolling back the prices and watch their jobs go overseas it's there business, just don't be surprised when you buying habits of shopping sticker verses quality lands you in you in the unemployment line, because those good manufacturing jobs have gone off shore.

I don't expect you to agree because your to stubborn and hardheaded to admit your own buying habits have had a direct impact on your quality of life.

I love you Menard (no, not that way!)
Lookingup

Other than trying to avoid Chinese stuff, I guess I don't really pay attention.  Of course, the wife just bought two fans made in China:  One makes a high pitched noise, the other is out of balance and vibrates a lot when turned to any speed other than the lowest.  If they even turned the freakin' things on before they left the factory, it would be impossible to miss.  I guess I'll put them next to the made in China microwave that died after 8 months, and the made in China wall clock that died after about 36 hours.  Just hanging on the wall, it's a clock.  It lasted a day and a half.  Whatever.  At least the cat is still alive.

Why shouldn't they keep making cheap crap, most people will just go buy another one ... it's job security for the Chinese.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 05:42:49 PM »

Zombie movies from Italy. Kung Fu from Hong Kong. Giant rubber monsters from Japan,and good ol' US of A Expliotation!
Oh yeah...and Hammer Gothics from the UK! OH-OH-Mexican wrasslers vs. monsters! And Coffin Joe from Brazil! Silent horrors from Germany! And lotsa other junk I forgot or have yet to see!

As far as food goes....I shop SAVE-A-LOT. Cheap canned and dry goods. Not sure where they all originate from...though I like Mexican hot sauce more than US brands (sorry Lousiana). Michigan has the best horseradish,though.  Philly cream cheese. Basically...if it's affordable and good,that's what I buy.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 08:42:37 PM »

Zombie movies from Italy. Kung Fu from Hong Kong. Giant rubber monsters from Japan,and good ol' US of A Expliotation!
Oh yeah...and Hammer Gothics from the UK! OH-OH-Mexican wrasslers vs. monsters! And Coffin Joe from Brazil! Silent horrors from Germany! And lotsa other junk I forgot or have yet to see!
BounceGiggle  I love you BELA.   BounceGiggle

I buy Neo-realist Italian films, and some of the French New Wave, British HAMMER Horrors... I like Australian movies and have been eyeing Brazilian CIDADE DE DEUS (CITY OF GOD ) for a while, as well as COFFIN JOE flix...   BounceGiggle

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
dean

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 09:25:23 AM »

You know what I really would like to hear from? People who live in non-first world countries.  I think their perspective would add quite an interesting side to the discussion. 

I really want to get into this discussion, but it's almost midnight here, and my brain doesn't seem to be making all the connections necessary.

Vague argument in loose dot points: 

Ideally, countries would be self-sufficient.   Buy local and support local.  That way the wheel spins alot more close to home.

Add complaint that here in my country something that would cost $1 in the US, even if manufactured locally, will invariably cost alot more, let's say $1.50, yet our economy is booming, and our Australian dollar will buy .95 US cents.  Go figure that one.  Why should I buy something locally when I can get it for half the price over the internet?  Cost of production may be the same, the only person making the profits are the companies, and I don't see them passing it down to their employees over their own pockets.  [BTW I do realise this isn't indicitive of all things, just certain products]

How many times will people say that cost is going up because of things like weak economy, drought killing crops [a big one here] and fuel prices, yet if our dollar is going so well stacked up to the US based on a commodoties boom here, why aren't prices of imports coming down??  They're very quick to raise them if things are going bad, but very slow to go down when things are going good. 

The way I figure it: even if you buy local, companies are all about profits, and the reality is the rich countries use the poorer ones for cheap labour.  Add to that, the traditional first world problem of a basic skills shortage, and sometimes you have no choice but to bring in foreign talent.  Again, you need to encourage local business, but if you can do something for 20 cents in China that would cost you $1 locally, well, it's tough to argue with that.  As an employer, you need to do what you can to keep the company afloat, but this is easily abused for 'easy profit at the expense of the "little guy".

Funny thing is, cost of products in other countries aren't so much.  Eg go to China and buy a shirt that cost you $5, yet the exact same shirt gets exported, and marked up and sold for $30.  So sure, they're making things cheaply but their cost of living is cheaper so I'd think that theoretically it would even out for them right? 

If so, why can't a Tomato cost the same in China as it does in the US?  Or a piece of plastic?  EH, this s where my brain starts hurting...

In this situation, do you think the exporter severely marks up the price and the importer is just having to mark up to maintain profits?  I don't think so...

Eh this was all way to vague and I'll look at this tomorrow and edit severely, realising I was talking total s**te, but mmm, we'll see.  I ain't know economist.  Clearly.

So yes, I'd like to buy locally, but I hate clearly being ripped off.  It annoys me enough that most things cost me more here than they do in other countries for no apparent good reason.  I just wish we could all press a reset button and have everyone start at square one again.  Maybe the Europeans don't have such a bad idea after all with the Euro... 

ONE WORLD ECONOMY!   TeddyR

[Apologies again for the very vague, uninformed rant.  Even when my brain can't turn on properly, it spews forth without stopping anyway]

I'll be more 'with it' in the morning...  One of these days I'll enter a political off topic discussion with intelligent points in hand and a clear head...
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 09:44:32 AM by dean » Logged

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 04:49:31 AM »

I tend to be a country loyalist, I'm American and I try to buy "Made in USA" first. I know we have member of other countries so I don't want to 'disclude' them.

I find that if I can't find it "Made in the USA" I tend to buy from other English speaking countries before others. With the exception of Japan and Germany which tend to believe in quality. Granted I don't see a lot of products made in Australia or New Zealand or the UK for that matter.

Why? Maybe that makes me a 'groupist' but I don't care.

I know I'm sick (no pun) of dangerous and poison toys, goods and food from China, not to mention ripoffs, bootlegs and faulty products from them. Fish raised in unhealthy conditions from Chili, tainted vegetables from Mexico and central America.

I don't want junk made from child labor in India, Indonesia, Taiwan (China), Honduras, or any other of a number of countries.   

Now I have no problem with the people of these countries, but for many, many years I worked for a big Japanese Machine Tool Company going all over the world installing assembly lines until they moved and I took a buyout. Traveling to China, Mexico and everywhere else really opens your eyes to who cares about quality and who doesn't.
Mexico and China just want the line running first and meeting spec's (quality) second, safety third.  So I avoid there products when ever I have a alternative which is becoming harder and harder to find at time.

But that's why companies go there to operate, few rules and regs, cheap labor and big profits. Just look at all China is doing to "clean up it's act" for the Olympics I've read they've temporarily closed over 400 factories around the Olympic site to improve the air and water quality, but it might be to little to late.

So do you try to buy from your home country or pay little attention to it?

I do try and buy South African if I can, but the reality is (unfortunately) that so little is made locally and all the good stuff goes for export, so I have to buy what I can and what i can afford.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  What do you buy? (Country of origin.) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.