Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:50:09 PM
714221 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Within The Rock « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Within The Rock  (Read 2091 times)
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« on: July 16, 2008, 07:56:18 AM »

Just watched this last night on my home-recorded DVD I made from the VHS tape.  It's about a group of miners sent to a "rogue moon" (big orange meatball that's doing about warp 1,000) that's on a collision course with earth.  They're supposed to drill tunnels in it, after which the reactor will be blown up, the explosion routed through the tunnels, and the moon knocked off course.  The plot sort of sounds familiar, but I just can't quite place it  TeddyR  We start with the scientist, played by Caroline Barclay (who actually looks pretty hot in her IMDb photo, but not so much in this movie).  She's arguing with some military guy - he wants to nuke the thing, but we have to listen to the explanation that's required in every movie of this sort about how nuking it will only make it worse.  It'll blow it into a bunch of pieces that will all hit the earth.  I've got a bit of a problem with this - the moon is still six months away.  Nuking it that far out would be like firing a shotgun at something 10,000 yards away:  the shot would spread out into such a huge pattern that it would be a miracle if a single piece actually hit the target.  But never mind. 

The scientist is sent to the rogue moon, where the drilling crew is already halfway done with their job.  We immediately learn that this is one of those movies where the "good" character, the scientist, is a cast iron b***h and the "bad" character, the drilling foreman, is actually pretty cool and quite likable.  I guess that's what happens when you put one good actor (Xander Berkeley as the foreman) in the middle of a mess like this.  He shines.  The rest of the crew aren't bad, ranging from a tough-on-the-outside but delicate-flower-on-the-inside chick named Nuke Em, to a few likeably grizzled veterans, and a few regular guys.  They're all pretty lazy and unmotivated.  Xander's got 'em all worked up about the company getting paid a whole lot by the government to save the earth, and none of that cash trickles down to them.  And their equipment is old and worn out, blah blah blah.  Apparently earth is completely unconcerned with this whole "rogue moon gonna destroy the planet" thing.  I found that odd, but decided to just go with it.  I couldn't tell if they were trying to put some anti blue collar working man message in this movie, or just desperate to fill 90 minutes with some sort, any sort, of dialog.  So the scientist chick starts b***hin' and b***hin', the foreman responds by hitting on her, she has a rather bizarre heart-to-heart with the Nuke Em chick, straight out of an episode of the Oprah show (I thought maybe they were gonna start making out), and then they find something buried deep within the moon.  A vanadium box, full of skeletons and platinum.  And the remains of some long dead monster.  So the miners go crazy over the platinum, the scientist b***hes at them, and they call it a day. 

Of course, while they sleep that night, the monster comes back to life, and over the remainder of the movie it does the usual "pick them off one by one" thing.  This could have been good, as the atmosphere was nice and the characters were, for the most part, likable enough and I sort of cared about them.  The monster really wasn't that bad either.  But of course there's the whole b***h b***h b***h thing that distracted me from any prospect of having fun watching this.

Overall, it had potential, but due to a bad script and over reliance on black-and-white, good vs. bad characters, it wound up being only average.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 05:03:41 PM »

I kinda like Within the Rock.  I saw it just about the first day it hit the shelves, because I'd been reading about it in some "upcoming attractions" magazine and was pretty excited about it.  A brand-new monster movie!  Woo-hoo!

Aside from the pointless bickering, which is bad but I've seen much worse, the biggest drawback for me were the awful "monster" sound effects.  Like most monster movies from the 90s (or even today to an extent), they used what sounded like piggy squeals laid over the monster roars from Doom!  It was really distracting to be watching the monster sneak up on somebody and, all of a sudden, ZOMBIE SPACE MARINE GROWL.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 06:52:27 AM »

Yeah, for all my complaining, I guess I must not dislike it too much - I've watched it about three times in the last year  TeddyR

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
JJ80
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 01:30:45 PM »

This is one of those films that I've only ever managed to see the end of. It did look like fun, if not a out-and-out classic in the vein of "Alien" crossed with "Armageddon". I seem to remember that the monster was actually pretty cool looking in a sub-Geiger way.
WingedSerpent
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 08:43:08 PM »

Ahh..some of the first Sci-Fi originals.  Bad B-movie fun even before they became synonomis with laughable movies.  I remember "Evolver"  I really annoyed my brothers by constantly quoting "Evolver-Want to play?"

I'd say more about this movie, but I don't really rember much of it.  Just the scene where, they explain where the monster came from and what the "moon" actually was.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Within The Rock « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.