Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:38:58 AM
713408 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Other (1972) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Other (1972)  (Read 2287 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« on: July 21, 2008, 07:21:15 PM »

I've been wanting to see this movie for a few years now, and finally got around to tracking down a copy. The Other is a story of two identical twin brothers, Niles and Holland, set in the summer of 1934 or 35 (Bruno Hauptmann is front-page news). The boys get into all sorts of mischief together, usually instigated by Holland. And a lot of people seem to have unfortunate accidents right after p**sing off Holland. Holland, it appears, is the 'Evil Twin.'

Possible spoilers follow, so be warned.

The big twist in this story is not difficult to guess, especially when it's been used many times in the 36 years since the movie came out. But it's still fun to wait for the big reveal, and Niles/Holland is such a scary kid, particularly when he's being the good son. He's so loving and gentle and cheerful, its freaky when you know that he's as nutty as a fruitcake.

Uta Hagen, as the old Russian grandmother, gave a superb performance. A young John Ritter plays a small part. And Diana Muldaur really does a good job of playing the boys' emotionally-fragile mother, who is just barely clinging to sanity herself, and tortured by both personal tragedy and the horror of what she suspects.

No on-screen gore, but the climax and ending were about as disturbing as you can get, probably really shocking to 1972 audiences. Nice foreshadowing throughout, particularly with the pregnant sister, the fascination with Hauptman, the story of the Changeling, and a weird scene with a pickled punk at a carnival sideshow. Left me with a nagging sense of dread. I had some idea where the movie was headed, but I just assumed they'd never take it all the way. I'm sitting there through the big search scene, thinking "He didn't, no, he didn't, he didn't, holy crap, he did!" And then the old grandmother pulls a surprise that is both horrifying and satisfying at the same time. And then, after all that, the twist ending comes out of nowhere, makes you go WTF?, but makes perfect sense.

All in all, it left me with a nice creepy feeling, and stayed in my thoughts for some time after. What more could you want from a horror flick?

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 10:52:25 PM »

Lester started a thread about this topic some months ago: 

http://www.badmovies.org/forum/index.php/topic,115927.0.html

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Other (1972) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.