Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:49:30 PM
713371 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Anyone seen STALKER (1979)? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Anyone seen STALKER (1979)?  (Read 3489 times)
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« on: July 21, 2008, 11:23:29 PM »

just finished watching STALKER.  What a weird film.  That's not to say I did not like it...it was just weird.  My wife hated it, but then she slept through most of its 2 hr 43 minute run time.

Helmed by Andrei Tarkovsky (who also gave us SOLARIS), I should have expected the slow slow pacing, long takes and more visual clues than dialog.

I'd be interested in hearing comments from anyone who saw it.  This is one of those films that you could talk about endlessly - the nuance, subtlety, metaphors and depth.

The plot is seemingly very basic.  There is a mysterious "zone" in which lies a special room.  This room holds the key to what it's visitors most seek.  The trick is, however, that The Zone is a also a 'special place' and not just anyone can navigate from the guarded outskirts to the room - those few people who know how to find the way are called Stalkers.  Entering The Zone is illegal, so the Stalkers are an outcast group.

The movie focuses on one such Stalker and the two men he leads into The Zone.

My reaction to this film was almost identical to that I had watching SOLARIS.  It was slow, almost 'boring' (actually, my wife said it WAS boring), yet at the same time utterly fascinating. 

I was mesmerized by Tarkovsky's story telling in SOLARIS; having watched STALKER, I am convinced of his genius.  But it's a genius that is hard to pin down because it's all pretty much "feeling."  I cannot fully articulate just what GRABS me about his films...

Sure, they are thought provoking - but lots of films are.  Sure, they include science fiction/religious elements that cause us to wonder, "just where is he going with this," just like many others.  His visuals are stunning and truly visionary, to me at least.  I think part of what I like about his work is that it is just so....DIFFERENT.

He's not Lucas, Spielberg, Bruckheimer, etc.  Tarkovsky gives us truly artistic expression in the visual medium without apology, without asking for our acceptance, without a single nod toward the American box office.  I don't have that reaction to ALL foreign films I watch, but actually quite a few.

But Tarkovsky's films stand out.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 06:00:31 AM »

It was boring.  Not the most boring movie ever, but it's right up there.  When they got in the zone, it was just long, static shots of the characters standing around, doing nothing.

EDIT:  Didn't the stalker fall asleep in a puddle or something?  I guess that's technically "doing" something.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 06:04:21 AM by akiratubo » Logged

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Wortcov
Bad Movie Lover

the High Inquisitor of bath and wells

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 02:24:45 PM »

I saw the beginning of it about 5-6 years ago I think (fell asleep because dose idiots on Swedish television showed it in the middle of the night Hatred) but I enjoyed the little I saw and can remember .

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Anyone seen STALKER (1979)? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.