Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:17:55 AM
714358 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Bottled Water Faces Rising Tide of Criticism « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Bottled Water Faces Rising Tide of Criticism  (Read 11898 times)
CheezeFlixz
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pathetic Earthlings

« on: July 23, 2008, 07:09:39 PM »

I said it a year ago here that bottled water was causing more waste than originally thought and was a racket.

So now ... http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,389362,00.html

Now here's the thing when I was a kid (a million years ago), cokes/soda/pop came in glass bottles, you paid a 3 cent deposit for those glass bottles and returned them to the store for a refund, you didn't have this landfill problem with plastic bottles. The metal caps on the glass bottle was lined with cork, 100% renewable, under the cork on some bottles you had a chance at winning big money! Like 5 or 10 cents, sometimes a quarter or half dollar and or rare occasions you'd win a dollar.

So if people want to waste money on bottled water, do it.  But why not sell it in returnable glass bottles? People are more likely to return glass bottles to the store for money than to recycle plastic bottled for nothing and have to pay money for gas to drive them to a recycling center. Sure it'll cost more to ship, but back in the day they had regional bottling companies and most soda's were produced locally, saving on shipping and producing jobs and product loyalty.

Where I live people drink SunDrop by the gallons, why? Because years ago there was a bottling plant here and supported many families, those folks still drink it today, as do there kids and their kids etc.

I say bring the glass bottle back! Made from sand! Plastic ... hmmm made from that evil oil. 

Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 10:10:23 PM »

I don't know about everyone else, but where I live we have what's called a glass and there's a magical water making device called a sink you never have to throw anything away!  Amazing!  We need to distribute these things to every homeowner in the world!  But how?

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
Torgo

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 10:14:21 PM »

I used to drink bottles water but I've switched a few months ago to just drinking out of the tap again.    Don't know why actually I started to buy bottled water to begin with...............

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 10:24:01 PM »

I used to drink bottles water but I've switched a few months ago to just drinking out of the tap again.    Don't know why actually I started to buy bottled water to begin with...............

You were brain washed in bottled water ....

My wife use to buy it and I was like WHY? WHY? WHY? We have filtered spring water at our tap, she's finally stopped too, I think mainly to stop having to hear me gripe about it.

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 10:48:08 PM »

My wife drinks a fair bit of bottled water.  FWIW, we DO reuse a lot (not all) of the bottles before taking them to the recycle bin.  I guess the vending machines/cafeteria at her work only offers soft drinks and bottled water, so she gets the water.

We use bottled water on trips.  She buys a flat, and that's what we drink.  We often put those little drink powder singles into them.

For around the house, she says she doesn't like the taste of our tap water.  I drink it all the time and don't mind it.  But, we DO have a filter.  It's not inline; you have to fill it up.  So, she drinks the filtered tap water.

We drink virtually no soft drinks - probably less than 10 2L bottles a year.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 10:52:20 PM »

I've imagined the Evian bottling plant as some fat, balding guy in a dirty undershirt filling bottles with a garden hose.

Seriously, the more expensive the water, the worse it seems to taste. And it's always the ones that emphasize their purity that have the foulest taste. How can something be filtered five or six times and taste like it came straight out of a pond?

Nothing wrong with our tapwater here. We're on an artesian well that has some really delicious water, and it's always nice and cold.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 11:03:26 PM »

And it's always the ones that emphasize their purity that have the foulest taste. How can something be filtered five or six times and taste like it came straight out of a pond?

It's what they don't tell you, what did they filter it through? Old socks? Soiled underwear? Sweaty t-shirt? Septic tank? Old gym bag?

akiratubo

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 01:11:54 AM »

I've never been a fan of bottled water.  I could see ot if homes in the United States had trouble getting clean water from the tap but we're not at that point yet.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 02:53:45 AM »

And it's always the ones that emphasize their purity that have the foulest taste. How can something be filtered five or six times and taste like it came straight out of a pond?

It's what they don't tell you, what did they filter it through? Old socks? Soiled underwear? Sweaty t-shirt? Septic tank? Old gym bag?

Buggedout but definitely also  BounceGiggle Smile TeddyR

Or perhaps Trevor's famous underpants? No, nooooooooo!  Buggedout

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 03:01:34 AM »

This story also started in South Africa last year: the mineral water companies were accused of ripping off their customers not only by the prices but also by the claim that their water was bottled at a mountain spring. Most of the complainants stated that the water was more likely bottled at a tap / faucet somewhere in Johannesburg, so now all bottles carry the label "Prepared Water".  Question

I'm actually as much a fan of mineral water as Captain Haddock is, so I drink my water out of the tap.  Smile

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 03:27:10 AM »

I've imagined the Evian bottling plant as some fat, balding guy in a dirty undershirt filling bottles with a garden hose.

asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 06:09:22 AM »

I use bottled water mostly at my job since I don't feel like to keep refilling a Styrofoam cup every time I need water.  We get cheaper water more or less for when we go on trips or go some where and we want to drink water while getting there.  I use our tap water now since we have a filtering system put in a few years ago, but it just to mainly fill up my empty bottle of water.  I used to get water out our water cooler but the cold button stopped working and now it's just hot and tepid, and I can't stand tepid water.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 06:51:36 AM »

Bill does fit the bill all right. I was kind of visualizing Paulie from the Rocky movies.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 08:56:45 AM »

The wife buys a ridiculous amount of bottled water.  I drink it out of the tap mostly.  We claim the bottle deposits on our soda cans (along with our neighbors), unfortunately there aren't too many places that have a deposit return on bottled water.  Perhaps that would inspire people to go down and claim their nickle which does add up after awhile.  You're right Andy C about water tasting worse as the price goes up. Evian to me is pure liquid sh*t.  Give me water out of the garden hose any day.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 09:23:16 AM »

I do have one, tiny, itty-bitty little question.

Since plastic has only been around for about 60 years, how do they KNOW that it takes 1,000 years to decompose?  Do they have a time machine?  And if they do, why can't they use it for useful stuff instead of going into the future to see if all the plastic has rotted yet? Question

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Bottled Water Faces Rising Tide of Criticism « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.