Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:09:01 AM
713384 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Bottled Water Faces Rising Tide of Criticism « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Bottled Water Faces Rising Tide of Criticism  (Read 11695 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2008, 09:40:48 AM »

Evian to me is pure liquid sh*t.  Give me water out of the garden hose any day.

Aquafina and Dasani (Pepsi and Coke products, respectively) taste the worst to me. These supposedly ultra-pure products are actually bitter! Water isn't supposed to be bitter. I didn't think it was supposed to have any flavour at all.

Both of these products are run through charcoal filters and reverse osmosis membranes. Armies in the field use this process to pull good drinking water out of any old swamp that happens to be handy. In Singapore, they use similar technology to send sewage right back to the taps! And yet tapwater that is already clean comes out bitter when Coke or Pepsi run it through theirs. Something isn't right.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2008, 09:48:33 AM »

I do have one, tiny, itty-bitty little question.

Since plastic has only been around for about 60 years, how do they KNOW that it takes 1,000 years to decompose?  Do they have a time machine?  And if they do, why can't they use it for useful stuff instead of going into the future to see if all the plastic has rotted yet? Question

This question is actually a can of worms.

One, part of the "it takes x years" is based on decay rates that can be measured.  Decay is usually exponential, so if you only have a few data points, you can generally know the function.  Think half-life type measurements.  It's pretty basic, Chemistry 101 type stuff.

Two: Some of it is overblown pap...depending on the 'environment' of the plastic.  Plastic is actually VERY susceptible to ultraviolet light, so these dire predictions of how long it will last hinge solely on it being in the dark.  Here's a fun experiment.  Put an empty gallon milk jug on your back porch in the sun....in a year, it will be a crumbled mess - ESPECIALLY down in Texas.  :)

Three: Even if it does NOT take 1000's of years, some effects are measurable now.  Small bits of plastic getting into the ocean closely resemble the natural food for a lot of plankton eating critters, and they thus eat the plastic.  And then they die.

This video

Small | Large

has some alarming footage, though when I saw it I did have some questions regarding the 'science.'  It's clearly put together to make the MOST alarming visual impact, but let's not let that take away from the underlying point - plastic IS being dredged from the open ocean.

I was particularly struck by the dead baby albatross with the shampoo bottle cap lodged in its throat.

So, whether it lasts 1000 years or more in the landfill has become immaterial to me.  The fact that it is causing problems NOW has made me at the very least become VERY aware of just how much of the crap I put in the garbage can every day.  And most of it is unnecessary waste (like useless packaging).

Finally, a couple of months ago, I drove from the east coast to Colorado.  I do this every year.  Never before this year had I noticed the sheer number of plastic grocery store style bags lining the sides of teh highways, blowing in fields, caught in trees and fences.  Aside from being ugly (which all litter is), this was just mind boggling.  Those things are EVERYWHERE.

We've since gone to re-usable canvas bags purchased at our grocery store for 89 cents each.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 10:40:02 AM by ulthar » Logged

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2008, 05:03:47 PM »

I do have one, tiny, itty-bitty little question.

Since plastic has only been around for about 60 years, how do they KNOW that it takes 1,000 years to decompose?  Do they have a time machine?  And if they do, why can't they use it for useful stuff instead of going into the future to see if all the plastic has rotted yet? Question

This question is actually a can of worms.

One, part of the "it takes x years" is based on decay rates that can be measured.  Decay is usually exponential, so if you only have a few data points, you can generally know the function.  Think half-life type measurements.  It's pretty basic, Chemistry 101 type stuff.

Two: Some of it is overblown pap...depending on the 'environment' of the plastic.  Plastic is actually VERY susceptible to ultraviolet light, so these dire predictions of how long it will last hinge solely on it being in the dark.  Here's a fun experiment.  Put an empty gallon milk jug on your back porch in the sun....in a year, it will be a crumbled mess - ESPECIALLY down in Texas.  :)

Three: Even if it does NOT take 1000's of years, some effects are measurable now.  Small bits of plastic getting into the ocean closely resemble the natural food for a lot of plankton eating critters, and they thus eat the plastic.  And then they die.

This video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpaSewyddd4

has some alarming footage, though when I saw it I did have some questions regarding the 'science.'  It's clearly put together to make the MOST alarming visual impact, but let's not let that take away from the underlying point - plastic IS being dredged from the open ocean.

I was particularly struck by the dead baby albatross with the shampoo bottle cap lodged in its throat.

So, whether it lasts 1000 years or more in the landfill has become immaterial to me.  The fact that it is causing problems NOW has made me at the very least become VERY aware of just how much of the crap I put in the garbage can every day.  And most of it is unnecessary waste (like useless packaging).

Finally, a couple of months ago, I drove from the east coast to Colorado.  I do this every year.  Never before this year had I noticed the sheer number of plastic grocery store style bags lining the sides of teh highways, blowing in fields, caught in trees and fences.  Aside from being ugly (which all litter is), this was just mind boggling.  Those things are EVERYWHERE.

We've since gone to re-usable canvas bags purchased at our grocery store for 89 cents each.

Which goes back to my original point what's wrong with glass, aside from the weight. Glass is silica, which is sand and when glass breaks down (actually crushed down) it's back to silica again, right? It's 100% renewable and it's handy in a bar fight.
I can't stand those plastic bags at stores, if given the choice I'll murder a tree and take paper. A canvas bag would never work for me, because I'd never remember to take it with me.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2008, 07:34:04 AM »

Plastic grocery bags are virtually useless these days anyway. They're so flimsy, they can't even hold the groceries in when you set them down. If I put a couple of bags of cans and bottles in the back of my van, they just roll all over the place the first time I turn a corner. The bag just obligingly gives way when the cans start to roll. Useless things, and then I have to open the door very carefully to keep my groceries off the driveway. The attraction of reusable bags, for me, is that they don't have so much give in them. They actually hold stuff in.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 03:16:08 PM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
the master
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2008, 01:24:20 PM »

where i come from the water is not bad out of the tap
so i consiider bottled water a rip off heck i could start a company
1.get old bottle
2.rip the labels off
3.fill with water
4.????
5.PROFIT!
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2008, 10:37:45 PM »

I've been wishing for years that they'd switch back to glass.
Beverages taste different in a plastic container.  And not for the better.  Thumbdown

Especially when it comes to soda.  I remember those old vending machines that dispensed tall glass bottles of ice cold pop.
My uncle had a machine just like the one below in front of his auto repair business for years and I remember every time I visited when I was a kid he'd give me 50 cents to buy a soda.
We'd stand out front, each of us drinking a soda, talking and watching traffic go by.  And I always remember how filthy his hands were holding that soda bottle because he had been working on a car just minutes before. 
Glass bottles aren't just about the taste...they also evoke strong memories of my childhood.

An ice cold Mt. Dew, Pepsi or Coke tastes 10 times better when drank out of a glass bottle.
Why is that?  Anyone know?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 04:27:59 AM by Ash » Logged
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2008, 12:00:06 PM »

I don't know exactly why, but I agree drinks do taste better out of glass than they do out of plastic or metal. I'd say a glass bottle tastes best, followed by a can, and then a plastic bottle.

I also have memories of glass bottles. My parents used to buy the 750mL glass bottles of pop (now considered a single serving) in the days before two-litre plastic bottles. Mainly, though, they would just buy flats of cans. I used to look at the little individual bottles of Coke at the local variety stores and want one. They are such a classic image of drinking pop. Just picture Santa with his bottle of Coke or any number of old TV shows and movies - always that little bottle of pop that looks so refreshing. It was more expensive than cans or large bottles (a fraction of what a can costs today), so my parents never bought them. Wasn't until I was old enough to ride my bike to the store and spend my own money that I started to enjoy a bottle of Coke now and then.

---------------------
Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2008, 01:27:34 AM »

An ice cold Mt. Dew, Pepsi or Coke tastes 10 times better when drank out of a glass bottle.
Why is that?  Anyone know?

I bet small pieces of plastic come off and you can taste it, just not see it.  You never hear of glass being stripped apart.

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
BTM

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2008, 12:58:04 PM »

Speaking of bottled water, anyone see that ep of Penn and Teller's Bulls**t that they did on bottled water?  They had a segment where the crew took over a posh, expensive (ie overpriced) restaurant and offered customers samples from a "water list" (yeah, like a wine list, except with water) telling the customers they could get free samples of exotic (and expensive) waters from around the world, imported to the restaurant. 

Anyway, they gave the customers samples of various "exotic" waters, and the customers (even those you had tasted multiple samples from "different" bottles) insisted each had a unique taste to it.  Turns out ALL the water came from the back of the restaurant from a GARDEN HOSE.

Also, you gotta love how a lot of bottled water companies put pictures of pristine mountain steams and whatnot on their bottles as though

Now, to be fair, I do buy distilled water on occasion, but that's only because it's the best type for my CPAP machine.  When I'm done with the empty gallons, I filled some of them with tap water and keep in my refrigerator so I always have cold water on stock. 
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 09:21:31 AM by BTM » Logged

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2008, 01:14:11 PM »

We keep 2 cases of bottled water on hand, but soley as emergency supplies.  I drink water from the tap all the time.  When we bought a fridge we got one with water in the door, so that it could go through a filter and remove any odors.  Honestly, the water from the aquifer at our new house (it's a small company that supplies homes in our area) tastes great to me.

The thread timing amused me, because I was working on the second installment in the zombie plan series a few weeks ago and mention bottled water.

I only drink bottled water.

Stockpile a few cases of Aquafina in the basement. Once that runs out, drink tap water. It's what you have been drinking all along.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Saucerman
Opinionated Blowhard Par Excellence
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Hypnotic, ain't it?

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2009, 06:30:34 AM »

I remember those old vending machines that dispensed tall glass bottles of ice cold pop.

Thank you.  Pop, not "soda"!

Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2009, 10:17:15 AM »

When I travel or am forced to eat out of vending machines and or convienance shops, I tend for bottled water.   I get so sick of drinks  that have corn syrup as the first ingredient or fake falvorings, and I don't much like juices.  So on that front I'm glad its there. BUt day-to-day I drink tap water, though its not easy where my folks live, they have some NASTY water in Omaha.  I tend to re-use water bottles until they almost crumble to fake-plankton (thanks Ulthar).
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Raffine

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2009, 10:30:02 AM »

A dentist friend of mine told me there has been a dramatic increase in tooth decay since the rise in popularity of bottle water because folks don't get the benefit of the fluoride from tap water any more.

That's his theory, at least.

I bought a bottle of water months ago and constantly refill it with both filtered and plain tap water, and I keep it in the freeezer. A certain plan for brain cancer, rumor has it! 

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2009, 02:03:34 PM »

I get bottled water when I stop on a long drive, and never else. The only reason I get it is that it's not nearly as bad for you as soda is. If I had my s**t together, I'd bring a bottle of water with me, but, that would be a miracle. Other than that, I either drink from the tap, or filtered tap water. In the Penn and Teller's BS episode mentioned earlier, it was said that glass was the only recycling effort that actually made sense or was worth the money.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Jim H

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2009, 11:53:02 AM »

I don't know exactly why, but I agree drinks do taste better out of glass than they do out of plastic or metal. I'd say a glass bottle tastes best, followed by a can, and then a plastic bottle.

It definitely does.  In fact, if I pour tap water that's been in some plastic bottles long enough into a glass, it still tastes bad.

I might add that some higher quality plastics don't affect the taste this way.  For example, those red pebbled texture bar cups never seem to alter the taste.

But yeah, I'm with Cheeze here...  I want glass to make a come back, especially for the occasional pop I drink.  You can get it in glass, but it costs a lot more and is usually in those tiny bottles.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Bottled Water Faces Rising Tide of Criticism « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.