Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:14:07 AM
713333 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  Giant plastic fish: tourist magnet? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Giant plastic fish: tourist magnet?  (Read 10342 times)
frank
Bad Movie Lover

"I'm a big boy now, Johnny."

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2008, 10:03:51 AM »

I've once taken a half-a-day detour (one way - well almost) to visit the one and only boll weevil monument in Enterprise, Alabama.

So, I consider all of the afore mentioned masterpieces well worth a visit. If nearby, I would consider a detour time between 2.7 minutes (driving by the painted walls) and 6/8th of a day (the mule) appropriate.

I also enjoyed the thoughts of Bill Bryson on this topic in, I think, "In a sunburned country" (the bull with balls!).

......"Now toddle off and fly your flying machine."
CheezeFlixz
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2008, 11:19:05 AM »

I also enjoyed the thoughts of Bill Bryson on this topic in, I think, "In a sunburned country" (the bull with balls!).

Quite possibly my favorite author, having traveled most of my life I completely relate to everything he write. I even tried hiking the Appalachian Trail, a few years before he wrote his book "A Walk in the Wood" and I died laughing because so much of it I could really remember going through my mind at the time. I will finish the trail before I die... anybody want to go?

"The Lost Continent" would be good reading for this topic. Talk about a blast from the past, traveling back roads America.

There might be one or two books of his at most I don't have. Defiantly one of the few authors I can buy a book from and know I'll enjoy it.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2008, 11:28:11 AM »

It's supposed to be a heron.  Local business owners are encouraged by the board of gaudiness to purchase these things and paint them anyway they want.  The picture above shows what "anyway they want" means.  They're probably 8' tall.

Toronto did the same thing with moose in the 90s. Those actually turned out quite nice, at least the ones I saw standing near businesses and attractions in the city.

Looking up a little background, I guess they had over 300 of the things, sponsored by businesses and painted by local artists. Apparently, they did influence tourists, and are credited with adding hundreds of millions of dollars to the local economy, while also raising a couple of million for Olympic athletes. Of course, there was a major amount of promotion by everyone involved, moose tours were offered, and the international media gave it a fair bit of coverage.

Close to half of the moose were later auctioned off for charity in 2001.

Here's a link to a listing with photos:
http://www.toronto.ca/moose/moose_moosellaneous.htm

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Raffine
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2008, 02:34:35 PM »

Nashville did that with guitars - much more boring than mooses. I think Memphis did catfish or something.

I've visited the Boll Weevil monument in Enterprise. It's a sight I'll never forget!

One place which couldda/shoulda been a mecca for tacky tourist traps is Dayton, TN - site of the world-famous Scopes Monkey Trial. I visited there on business (!) several years ago fully expecting to enjoy a meal at The Monkey Trial Cafe and load up on Monkey Trial teeshirts and postcards. It seems the good folks of Dayton are not only not proud of their spot in history, the folks I spoke to got downright persnickety when I asked about it. There is a rusty plaque on the courthouse and that's about it.

Dayton was in the news again a few years ago when Rhea county decided to officially ban gays from the area. Needless to say, Dayton briefly was overrun by protesters until they threw out the law.

Official website!
http://www.daytontn.net/
See pictures in the History section of the big 60's ice-storm, but not a word about the monkey trial!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 02:38:19 PM by Raffine » Logged

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
frank
Bad Movie Lover

"I'm a big boy now, Johnny."

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2008, 01:44:00 AM »

.... I even tried hiking the Appalachian Trail, a few years before he wrote his book "A Walk in the Wood" and I died laughing because so much of it I could really remember going through my mind at the time. I will finish the trail before I die... anybody want to go?

So cool! Hiking the trail would be something I defenitely would like to do, unfortunately I live on the wrong continent, so it would take lots of preparation. At least I have walked a couple of yards on it when I was in the Great Smokey Mountain National Park a couple of years ago...

......"Now toddle off and fly your flying machine."
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  Giant plastic fish: tourist magnet? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.