Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:48:31 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Phobias « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Author Topic: Phobias  (Read 44638 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: July 25, 2008, 01:45:29 PM »

Some of you may know from old posts I've written in the past that I have an almost debilitating fear of spiders.
I think spiders are the most hideous, evil looking creatures God put on this earth.
Other than catching annoying insects, spiders have no other redemptive qualities that I can see.  They're creepy-crawly horrible things and I'm scared to death of 90% of them.

The really small ones don't bother me but anything bigger than a nickel sends my heartbeat through the roof and makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

I have arachnophobia.

Some people are afraid of snakes.  Some fear water.  Some are afraid of heights.  (I'm not afraid of heights...I'm afraid of falling and the deadly impact at the end)
Others fear leaving their home. (Agoraphobia)

How about you?
Do you have any specific phobias?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 01:49:58 PM by Ash » Logged
Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 04:11:33 PM »

I have some mild germaphobia, although it may be more of an obsessive compulsive disorder.

But what about centipedes, Ash, those are more disgusting and vile than spiders in my opinion.

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
Saucerman
Opinionated Blowhard Par Excellence
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Hypnotic, ain't it?

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 04:23:25 PM »

Oh man, I am deathly afraid of centipedes.  It's intensified since I was moved into my family's basement a couple years back (Not a "Castle Freak" scenario; we live in a small house and my younger sister needed a bedroom, so they gave her mine and built me a room in the basement), because our basement is always full of them. 

One time one fell from the ceiling over my bed while I was asleep, and landed on my face, waking me up.  It almost ended up in my mouth.  I didn't get much sleep the rest of the night.

Another time an enormous fat one, probably four inches long with really long legs emerged from behind my bookshelf...disturbingly enough, the shelf containing my Lovecraft stuff.  Once it was clear of the shelf, I hit it with a hammer. 

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 05:34:35 PM »

So, the centipede with really long legs, was it a regular one or one of those house centipedes:

Used to get these in an office where I used to work. We'd actually gather around and stare at the things. Had no idea what they were at the time. It's almost hypnotic the way they walk.

I have what could be called a mild social phobia. Interacting at a social level doesn't come easy. Kind of introverted, not comfortable around lots of people. Odd for someone in my profession, I know, but it doesn't really affect that sort of interaction. I've got a reason to talk, specific things to talk about, and usually no concern other than the finished story.

I have something of an aversion to spiders, but I wouldn't call it a fear. Strangely enough, I used to have a fear of spiders, but medication I take for other anxiety seems to have cleared it up. Weird. I've actually found myself trying to coax a spider onto my finger to show my daughter. I'm making an effort to put her at ease around all creatures, so she hopefully doesn't develop irrational fears. Hard to do when everybody else freaks out over spiders, earwigs, snakes, etc.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Susan
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 06:29:00 PM »

Me too. I used to live in arizona - kingdom of the spiders and we had black widows int he house and tarantulas outside. Once living here, i woke up to a tickle in my hand and when i gripped my palm into a fist i felt something writhing within. It was a big fat juicy bulbous spider and i hurled it into the blackness standing up in my bed, probably more awake than i've ever been in my life.

Ever since then when i turn out the lights, from time to time i lay in the dark and turn the lamp back on. Just to make sure nothing is in the bed with me. A month or so ago i opened my eyes in bed and saw what looked like a spider with a legspan of 4-5 inches was crawling on the bed. I stood up and watched it go behind the bed. I was in the midde of a dream so I'm not sure if I really saw it or i was hallucinating. But i didn't sleep well for a month. And it didn't help that my cat was so damn jumpy and skiddish everytime she got near the bed.

Small | Large

Also I had a centipede on my leg as a kid, luckily I lived and haven't seen once since.

CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 06:38:47 PM »

I don't think I have any fears, spiders don't bother me I saw about 100 or so Brown Recluses today, as I do every day. Well I do have one phobia it's Broke-aphobia, fear of being broke ... so I avoid it.

Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 06:39:51 PM »

I have phobias of most insects (the more legs the worse), clowns, certain social situations, and germs.  Fear of germs generally effect me more in the winter months where people are carelessly hacking their lungs out in my office.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Susan
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 06:44:44 PM »

I also have a fear when the guy hands me my bag of food at the fast food window and he's either looking p**sed or smiling way too hard.

i can't help but grimace and enjoy that gravy dip with my chicken strips a little bit less with just the idea some bored teenager put a boogar in it or dipped it in the toilet.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 08:22:27 PM by Susan » Logged
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 08:18:45 PM »

I have a few:
Germophobia (Wash my hands 90 times a day it seems.  Worse in winter, when they get cuts, raw, bleeding, etc. from being chapped.)

Social Phobia (for the most part.  I'm more content to not really leave my house.) Buggedout

Arachniphobia (I hate spiders, even the little ones that are barely visible.  Most bugs actually, although I can deal with most enough to kill them.  Spiders I don't even kill.  I just run away.)

A few others as well.  Heights is one.  Then again, I'm around 5', so that may be a factor. TeddyR

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 09:34:50 PM »

I'm afraid of Julie Strain . . . . Buggedout

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 09:42:20 PM »

I'm afraid of Julie Strain . . . . Buggedout

SMACK! OUT DEMON OUT!

Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 10:04:22 PM »

I don't have a fear of spiders. I don't necessarily want them crawling on me, but they don't frighten me. I'm grossed out by cockroaches/palmetto bugs, and that comes close to a phobia sometimes, like when they try to fly at me. The ones we've got around here get to be 2+ inches long, and they tend to go kamikaze when you spray them: They will climb up a wall and launch themselves at you. Or they will run directly for your feet. If that happens, I tend to uncontrollably dodge. I know they can't hurt me, but the fact remains that they are gross little varmints. The stupid thing is, I will go to greater lengths to dodge a roach than I will to dodge a wasp. Go figure.

As I age, I seem to be developing a mild fear of heights. It's not debillitating, but I get uneasy too close to the edge of a high place. And I hate, hate, HATE driving over high flyaways (really, seriously, I don't like 'em). I get occasional vertigo, and it happened once on a 60'-80' high flyaway, and I only made it over by sheer force of will. I talked like a retarded Jerry Lewis for about two hours after; I couldn't help it.

And while I do not fear Julie Strain, even the thought of Barbra Streisand makes me a touch queasy.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2008, 10:56:10 PM »

Spiders I don't mind for the most part, caught a tarantula in the wild in Texas, it was about the size of a quarter, turned him lose in the barracks and he got HUGE eating all those cockroaches. He was cool, but he went into the room next door and scared two NCOs so bad they were actually standing on their desks and one was pointing a pistol at it (had he shot at it, the bullet would have likely ricocheted and hit the other guy). They made us turn him loose.

Anyways, I also have a bit of germophobia (I understand that's not he correct term, but rather "Spermnophobia"), comes from working in a prison where some have HIV/Hepc/Who knows what.

Also, I'm not sure if it's a phobia or not, but I do find myself avoiding overweight people quite a bit lately. I don't mean someone that's 15 lbs, but rather the people well into obese territory. I've actually stood for 10 minutes longer in a checkout line to avoid an obese person that was working another, shorter line. I'm not sure what is going on there. There's a guy that works at Best Buy, he can't be but twenty years old, I would be amazed if he was over 23, and he is so big that he has that whole "Front Butt" thing going on. He's about 5'-8" or so, and EASILY 300 lbs, I wouldn't be too awful surprised if he was 400. A part of me wants to not even go near him, and the another part wants to go smack him upside the head and tell him to have some self-respect and get his crap together, else he's going to die a very young and lonely virgin. I know that's not fair, because the vast majority of the time I know nothing of the person, and thus make a lot of assumptions about their medical condition, lifestyle, family history, habits, but unfortunately, those people I KNOW and are extremely fat, are almost completely at fault for their own condition.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Susan
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2008, 11:02:47 PM »

Small | Large

and richard simmons ...lol
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 11:07:08 PM by Susan » Logged
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2008, 07:43:34 AM »

I used to have a phobia about going into public buildings, the larger the building the worse it was.  Turned out I have an anxiety disorder.  They gave me some pills and now I'm much better (well, you be the judge  TeddyR ).  Really hated bridges and overpasses on highways as well.  Don't mind them any more.  The pills even took away my insomnia  TeddyR

Don't care much for heights.  I can go about 8' up on a ladder and I'm fine, but once I get to the 10' mark I'm taking a death grip on anything nearby.  You won't find me wandering around near any cliffs either.

I used to work at a wood shop in San Diego, and they'd bring burls of manzanita wood up from Mexico.  There'd be the occasional tarantula in there.  I thought they were kind of cool.  We had a black widow out in the shed as well.  One time I bought a rubber tree to have in the house, then a few days later the whole thing was covered with these microscopic little bugs - must have been an egg sack in there somewhere.  Wasn't really "phobic" about it, but man, that thing landed in the dumpster in record time  TeddyR

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Phobias « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.