Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:19:27 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Phobias « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Author Topic: Phobias  (Read 44637 times)
Saucerman
Opinionated Blowhard Par Excellence
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hypnotic, ain't it?

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2008, 08:00:39 AM »

So, the centipede with really long legs, was it a regular one or one of those house centipedes:

Used to get these in an office where I used to work. We'd actually gather around and stare at the things. Had no idea what they were at the time. It's almost hypnotic the way they walk.

*squirms* Yes...that's the one...make it go away now please.

Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2008, 09:02:11 AM »

Ah yes, the running mustaches.  Had lots of those in the house I grew up in.  Ugh.

I am not a big fan of spiders, but it must not be a full-fledged phobia because I have been able to consciously overcome it.  Mostly.

Heights caught me by surprise: on a horseback riding trip in the Rockies.  OOPS.
We were at a stop to climb a short rock face up to a glacial lake and I froze.  Horrible feeling.  My arms and legs simply would*not*comply.  Full body revolt.  I finally made it up, but between the shock and embarrassment it was terribly distressing.

I don't drive.  Just sitting behind the wheel brings on hyperventilation and elevated heart rate.  Yup: it's fear.  Tractors are OK; cars and trucks for road use...forget it.  Might have something to do with my Dad breaking his back in a car racing accident when I was eight or so...don't know.  Could be (and likely is) completely irrational.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2008, 11:49:49 AM »

Hard to say whether I'm afraid of heights. I don't like walking around on a roof very much, or standing on top of a tall ladder, but I love tall buildings and I love flying. I won't hesitate to take a bumpy ride in a little single-engine plane that gets tossed around by the slightest air current. Done it many times, and I might have lined up an opportunity to do it again soon.

Likewise, I have a great time visiting high observation decks. Went up the Sears Tower in Chicago once and loved it. Been to the CN Tower in Toronto lots of times, and even have no difficulty standing on the glass floor and looking down at a thousand-foot drop. And I've visited lots of shorter towers over the years. Basically, if I visit a place with a really tall building that's open to the public, I want to go up and see the view. Just don't ask me to shingle the roof on a house.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2008, 12:02:11 PM »

Germophobia (Wash my hands 90 times a day it seems.  Worse in winter, when they get cuts, raw, bleeding, etc. from being chapped.)

That's EXACTLY haow it happens to me.  I got scolded by my biology teacher last winter because of the whole MRSA thing and open blood.  TongueOut

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2008, 01:12:46 PM »

If talking about phobias and the like and not more of OCD-type-things, I consider myself overall close to a hypochondriac. I hear of healthy people dying of the most minor stuff, or mentally ill people totally oblivious to their disorders, and it gets to me... Every so often I find symptoms in myself that resemble deadly signs, but hesitate to visit a doctor for the fear that it'll be overreaction, and so on and so forth :P ...

And teenagers are supposed to think they're invincible... Lookingup

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2008, 09:23:49 PM »

Germophobia (Wash my hands 90 times a day it seems.  Worse in winter, when they get cuts, raw, bleeding, etc. from being chapped.)

That's EXACTLY haow it happens to me.  I got scolded by my biology teacher last winter because of the whole MRSA thing and open blood.  TongueOut
It's even worse for me, for two reasons.  First off, I use a cup only once, and if something even comes near it, I wash it.  Something is near a fork, I wash it.  Mind you, they don't even touch, but the IDEA they're near each other, I wash it.  Same with food.  I'm so picky about who handles and touches it, I don't even eat at friends houses, and I've known them for YEARS.

Secondly, about hand washing, I work in the food industry, so I'm doubly washing my hands.  At work, and then at home.  It's at the point where even lotions and gloves don't help the scarring.  I really should see a doctor.

I'm very obsessive compulsive about things.  But that's not a fear.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
akiratubo

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2008, 11:34:57 PM »

Needles.  I can't even look at a needle -- I can't even look at a DRAWING of a needle!  To have blood drawn, I typically have to take a tranquilizer by mouth, else they have to put me in a chair where they can strap me down.

People being tortured with needles is a recurring theme in my horror stories.  Imagine that.

I'm also pretty afraid of heights.  You just *won't* get me near the edge of anything over a couple of feet high.  Once, when I worked at Lowe's, I had a panic attack on the cherry picker.  I just crouched on the platform, hyperventilating, holding onto the side rail for dear life.  I don't remember much of it, really, aside from being scared out of my mind.  Someone else actually had to come up on another one and take mine down.  I'd even start sweating on the ladders.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2008, 11:56:27 PM »

Needles.  I can't even look at a needle -- I can't even look at a DRAWING of a needle!  To have blood drawn, I typically have to take a tranquilizer by mouth, else they have to put me in a chair where they can strap me down.

So then I guess you'll love this scene.   Wink

Small | Large
akiratubo

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2008, 12:04:24 AM »

So then I guess you'll love this scene.   Wink

Made it to 1:48.  Bluesad

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2008, 12:45:59 AM »

...As I age, I seem to be developing a mild fear of heights. It's not debillitating, but I get uneasy too close to the edge of a high place. And I hate, hate, HATE driving over high flyaways (really, seriously, I don't like 'em). I get occasional vertigo, and it happened once on a 60'-80' high flyaway, and I only made it over by sheer force of will. I talked like a retarded Jerry Lewis for about two hours after; I couldn't help it.

I don't think I have any fears, spiders don't bother me I saw about 100 or so Brown Recluses today, as I do every day. Well I do have one phobia it's Broke-aphobia, fear of being broke ... so I avoid it.
I, too, am afraid to be broke and avoid it. 
I used to be afraid of spiders, still am, but always save the lives of spiders I find in my house (though if bigger than a pea they are banished to the out of doors.)  Spiders do good work and I want them to prey on them ugly things AndyC posted!!   Drink

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2008, 12:48:23 AM »

It's even worse for me, for two reasons.  First off, I use a cup only once, and if something even comes near it, I wash it.  Something is near a fork, I wash it.  Mind you, they don't even touch, but the IDEA they're near each other, I wash it.  Same with food.  I'm so picky about who handles and touches it, I don't even eat at friends houses, and I've known them for YEARS.

Secondly, about hand washing, I work in the food industry, so I'm doubly washing my hands.  At work, and then at home.  It's at the point where even lotions and gloves don't help the scarring.  I really should see a doctor.

I'm very obsessive compulsive about things.  But that's not a fear.

Wow, that's pretty bad, at least I know there's one person who can trust when I shake their hand.  Wink

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2008, 07:27:36 AM »

I used to be afraid of spiders, still am, but always save the lives of spiders I find in my house (though if bigger than a pea they are banished to the out of doors.)  Spiders do good work and I want them to prey on them ugly things AndyC posted!!   Drink

Unfortunately, I think the predator-prey relationship for those two is the other way around.

---------------------
Sister Grace

I found my mind in a brown paper bag...

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2008, 07:34:11 AM »

The Mailman! he literally freaks me out. If I'm out in the yard and I see him coming; I'll dash into the house till he has finished his round on my street. There is something unnatural about him and the fact he knows so much about me gives me the heebie jeebies...

Society, exactly as it now exists is the ultimate expression of sadomasochism in action.<br />-boyd rice-<br />On the screen, there\\\'s a death and the rustle of cloth; and a sickly voice calling me handsome...<br />-Nick Cave-
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2008, 08:13:12 AM »

Yes, Allhallowsday, that is, indeed, the object of my revulsion. And it's just about life-size, too! Pictures of them don't bother me, just them dive-bombing me. A guy I knew who owned a dental lab caught one once and cast it in dental filling material. Every leg spur, recreated in metal. It was fascinating, but also pretty repulsive.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2008, 10:01:42 AM »

The Mailman! he literally freaks me out. If I'm out in the yard and I see him coming; I'll dash into the house till he has finished his round on my street. There is something unnatural about him and the fact he knows so much about me gives me the heebie jeebies...

I do the same thing with the garbage men, but only because I expect to get hassled about having too many bags, really heavy or drippy bags, or some recyclables mixed in. I dash out of sight to avoid the dirty look or disparaging remark I'm expecting to get.

Probably comes from when I lived in the city, and they were really picky about garbage. They'd leave bags behind without explanation, or slap stickers on cans that didn't explain much for the effort it took to get them off. In three years, I never once succeeded in having a bag of yard waste picked up, no matter what bag I used or what day of the month I put it out. Still, it was better than the dump, where somebody actually searches through your load like some kind of border guard, then directs you to 25 different bins that you have to remember, and the attendant acts like you work there and gets PO'd if you don't know all the procedures. Never saw a place that took its garbage as seriously as the Regional Municipality of Waterloo.

The dump here is organized but laid back (and sometimes has bears), nobody's ever been rude and nobody's ever refused to pick up a bag of garbage. Still, I have this sense that anyone in waste disposal is going to be a fussy, judgmental prick. It's not a fear, really, but I make myself scarce just the same.

---------------------
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Phobias « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.