Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:51:52 AM
713331 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Turning down a promotion offer « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Turning down a promotion offer  (Read 2368 times)
Susan
« on: July 25, 2008, 06:01:46 PM »

How common is this? I've been seriously stressed this year and because of it had medical problems. My manager died over the holidays, new management came in and with a swoop made drastic changes. My supervisor was putting all her responsibilities on me, I finally moved (after 5 friggin long years) to a new supervisor which i LIKE and he is jumping ship. Apparently he can't take the burocracy anymore and coudn't get away fast enough.

So my manager is probably freaking out with my supervisor leaving so quickly and is looking for a replacement. Which leaves me. I'm next in line, but the thing is i've never wanted to be in management. In my company you can make money and move up and around without being in management. I think not everyone can do it, it takes a person with certain characteristics and drive - you seriously have to love it. My manager was pep talking me into applying and I had to let himk now today i wasn't going to pursue it. The hardest part was letting him know that without him thinking i had no desire to advance or having a stigma put on me because of it.

I have no desire to manage 15 people, some of them are VERY difficult to work with including the lady next to me who's paranoid and insists everyone is after her. Having to give speeches at meetings and micromanage, I just don't enjoy that. I am a hands on person, I like diving into the work, I love research and computer systems and figuring stuff out. I like working one on one with people. So I have no idea what the face to face meeting on monday will be like with the manager now that i've so eliquently told him via email since he pretty much refused to hear me saying no verbally.

The problem is also dealing with everyone at work who thinks I should do it, because my old sup was an idiot and they figure anyone can do it better. But it's my life and if I make a decision I want people to support me and understand, not talk about what they'd do.

I almost wanted to relate the situation to him like the making of a movie. Sometimes it's not the directors or actors who make the movie great. It can be the editing, the scriptwriting, the cinematography or supporting actors who realy make a film something special...not always the people at the helm. Why should I be penalized for recognizing this? Mother of GOD!

I pray this new management doesn't have an 'up or out' motto i'm not aware of. If so - may i find greener pastures because it's been a hell ride the past 5 years
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 07:35:36 PM »

It could be worse.
They could have this sign hanging up...

Susan
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 08:00:42 PM »

this is my life, and ironically a lot of it was filmed right here

Small | Large
CheezeFlixz
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 09:58:38 PM »

I don't think it's common for people to turn down a promotion. Most company operate on the principle of promoting people to their highest level of incompetence. (Your highest level might be CEO)

Generally speaking good managers are good delegaters and wise enough to surround themselves with competent people. The more competent the people around you, the more you can delegate, the more you can delegate the less you actually have to do. It's a 2 way street, they make your job easy, you make theirs easy.

So good luck with what ever choice you make, but the path to mo' money is usually up.

Susan
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 11:13:17 PM »

mo money mo problems..lol

But, my company is one which has lots of growth opportunities that don't always go the managerial route. in fact those positions are least coveted. i could move over to the sales area or It and make good money..in fact more than the supervisors make. And moving to those areas is fairly easy, on the job training and internal hiring is preferred - plus it's who you know. I just don't wanna get stuck in a dead end supervisor job, its not utilizing my skills
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Turning down a promotion offer « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.