Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:57:27 PM
714237 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  the RAVEN (1935) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: the RAVEN (1935)  (Read 7303 times)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« on: July 27, 2008, 09:35:28 AM »

I watched this movie again (I watch it almost on a monthly basis,actually) last night.

Most of Lugosi and Karloff's films together regulate Bela in the supporting role. The BLACK CAT , BLACK FRIDAY,the INVISABLE RAY,and the BODY SNATCHERS come to mind. I won't include SON of FRANKENSTIEN,as I feel Bela stole the film as the looney and evil Ygor. Ah...but in the RAVEN,Lugosi has his revenge!
  Though Karloff is top billed...it's Lugosi's show all the way. He starts the film as an  glowering egocentrical Poe fanatic....and  progresses into a hysterical raving maniac ,torturing people for fun. And I do mean fun. "Yes...! I LIKE to torture!".

This is,in my opinion,Bela's finest showcase. DRACULA bogs down about half through the film,and WHITE ZOMBIE ,though beautiful looking film,and a great role for Bela as M.Legendre,could have almost been a silent film. Ygor is a good role too,but here Lugosi does what he does best...he's evil,insane,and he enjoys every second of it. A classic,and a must see for all fans of classic horror.

...and if you got the cash-you could get your very own Bateman and Dr.Vollin action figures ,for hours of torturing pleasure!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 09:34:52 PM »

Just noticed this thread... THE RAVEN is a really wonderful film, that I really really disliked as a child (it was just plain too strange and creepy to me... this wasn't DRACULA or FRANKENSTEIN!)  Now, like a lot of films I saw when very young, I appreciate this one much more now.  I myself rewatched this film in the last several months when it was shown on TCM.  BELA's end there always freaks me out!!  This is one of those Universal Horrors that should be damned creaky by now (as you pointed out, DRACULA comes to mind, but also the 1931 FRANKENSTEIN) but instead, this one gets more interesting.  The sets alone are worth at least one look! 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 03:41:18 AM »

What's sad, is that Lugosi never really got the lead in too many "A" pictures afterwards. Universal kind of snubbed him....I believe it was because Bela would moonlight,so to speak,for the smaller companies,doing serials and smaller films,such as MURDER BY TELEVISION,and CHANDU. After the GHOST of FRANKENSTEIN,and his disaterous portrayal of the Monster in FRANKENSTEIN meets the WOLFMAN (not entirely his fault...as his part was edited to rubbish),he was snubbed. Bela should have played Alucard in SON of DRACULA, the Count in the HOUSE  OF films....I dunno...it's a crying shame he never reached that height again,as in the RAVEN.  Bluesad

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 09:10:30 PM »

What's sad, is that Lugosi never really got the lead in too many "A" pictures afterwards. Universal kind of snubbed him....I believe it was because Bela would moonlight,so to speak,for the smaller companies,doing serials and smaller films,such as MURDER BY TELEVISION,and CHANDU. After the GHOST of FRANKENSTEIN,and his disaterous portrayal of the Monster in FRANKENSTEIN meets the WOLFMAN (not entirely his fault...as his part was edited to rubbish),he was snubbed. Bela should have played Alucard in SON of DRACULA, the Count in the HOUSE  OF films....I dunno...it's a crying shame he never reached that height again,as in the RAVEN.  Bluesad
Hollywood was certainly unfair and stupid with many of the great talents it discovered, but it was all a very long time ago and here we are still talking about BELA

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 10:11:14 PM »

True....ask a little kid to act like Dracula...and he doesn't do Gary whats his name or even Christopher Lee...he does LUGOSI! The voice,the weird hand gestures....SCRAM! No...not you...the stoopid kitten jumping on my key board! ACH!
 ok...where was I...oh yeah, Lugosi....seems like a lot of roles would have been tailor made for him,like that of Count Zarnoff in The MOST DANGEROUS GAME, the doctor in the BODY SNATCHER, or the role given to Stanley Ridges in BLACK FRIDAY. Who the heck is Stanley Ridges,anyway?
  I just wish that he'd have lived long enough to  to have seen the old films brought back to life via Shock Theater and Famous Monsters.  I like to think that someplace he's looking down and smiling....or laughing hysterically.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 11:47:25 PM »

True....ask a little kid to act like Dracula...and he doesn't do Gary whats his name or even Christopher Lee...he does LUGOSI! The voice,the weird hand gestures....SCRAM! No...not you...the stoopid kitten jumping on my key board! ACH!
I love the kitten jumping on your keyboard; the kitty wants to be near you because it senses your gentle, affectionate nature.  That's the reason.  Unless Kitty really is STOOPID and you're an evil kitten drowner. 
ok...where was I...oh yeah, Lugosi....seems like a lot of roles would have been tailor made for him,like that of Count Zarnoff in The MOST DANGEROUS GAME, the doctor in the BODY SNATCHER, or the role given to Stanley Ridges in BLACK FRIDAY. Who the heck is Stanley Ridges,anyway?
  I just wish that he'd have lived long enough to  to have seen the old films brought back to life via Shock Theater and Famous Monsters.  I like to think that someplace he's looking down and smiling....or laughing hysterically.
Bela Bela Bela!  I don't know if I remember BLACK FRIDAY, though I looked it up on IMDB and it sounds very interesting and familiar... I'm a bit of a fan of BORIS KARLOFF as you are of BELA... I love THE MAN THEY COULD NOT HANG and THE BLACK ROOM and THE MAN WITH NINE LIVES...

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  the RAVEN (1935) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.