Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:12:45 PM
713359 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Trouble Tickets  |  Trouble Tickets  |  Shout Box « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Shout Box  (Read 5950 times)
CheezeFlixz
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pathetic Earthlings

« on: July 27, 2008, 09:29:07 PM »

Just wondering, I know Andrew has a full plate at the moment. Moving, wifie on light duty, etc etc.

But SMF has a mod/add-on for a SHOUT BOX and I was wondering if you folks think it'd be handy. It's just the box at the top of the forum where you can post quick messages that area on the forum home. I'm sure Andrew knows what I'm talking about.

anywho ...

I hate starting a thread just to say ... "Hey this movie is come on this channel tonight, FYI!" whereas the shout box you can post that without cluttering up the forum with short threads.

Just an idea.

Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 10:37:14 PM »

This sounds really cool and helpful but if I were Andrew I would wait until things cool down a bit.  Moving, injuries, existing problems.  Take your time Andrew.

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
Menard
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 11:02:41 PM »

About the only way, IMO, to have a shoutbox on this forum would be to permanently disable the automatic refresh. With the number of connections to the forum as it is bringing it to a crawl, having a shoutbox with automatic refresh on in that many connections would bring the forum to a standstill.

If there were a way, and probably is, for someone to choose to hide the shoutbox, that would probably be better as there are enough things to slow someone's browsing experience, a shoutbox just adds to that.

I would recommend disabling guest posting in a shoutbox, if that can be done separately from the forum. Otherwise you are just going to be having people playing with it, until they get bored of it and it falls into disuse as I have seen them do on so many other forums.
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 11:19:46 PM »

This is the one I'm talking about ...

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=585

Now it says it's not designed for large forums, but what's a large forum? Some of the forum I go to will have a 1000 or more online at once. This one seems to average 150-200, big but not massive.

This mod seems to have a lot of controls, but I haven't studied it in depth. Refresh controls, turn off guest posting etc.

It's just an idea anyway, not a must have.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Trouble Tickets  |  Trouble Tickets  |  Shout Box « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.