Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:51:38 AM
714338 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  100 essential SF B-movies, as chosen by you! « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
Author Topic: 100 essential SF B-movies, as chosen by you!  (Read 51382 times)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2008, 12:06:05 PM »

Not sure I agree with Metropolis, The Day the Earth Stood Still or even Quatermass and the Pit being on a B-movie list but hey's, that's subjective I guess. All 3 would be on my essential good SF movies list.

I nominated DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL and I'd be willing to withdraw it if others agree it's inappropriate for the list.  It was made by 20th Century Fox, although I bet that it being 1951 and sci-fi that it was done by the B-unit.  I thought that in the Hollywood studio system up to some point in the 1960s, pretty much every science fiction movie that was released was a "B" picture!

I would agree with that. Most "A" pictures were of the  religious "epic" type,or dramatic. John Wayne,Victor Mature,and big name stars. Micheal Rennie and a robot? Nah...! More of a 'sleeper" of the times. . Sci-fi was still very much an fringe audiance....comprised of teens and geeks. Yet these are the films that stood the test of time. Ironic,eh?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 01:18:01 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2008, 01:09:47 PM »

66. Invasion of The Saucer Men (1957): Unforgettable Paul Blaisdell alien monsters invade and of course the adults are all complete incompetents when it comes to dealing with said threat meaning the teens have to do it themselves. See the Saucer Men in all their hideous glory!

Too bad there's right issues keeping this classic from getting the release it truly deserves.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Patient7
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2008, 03:46:50 PM »

65. The Phantom Planet!

A classic Sci-fi b-movie, people shrink from different oxygen types, a primitive society with beyond advanced technology, a planet that can move throughout the whole universe, gravitational weaponry, aliens from a sun (did I get that part right?), 'nuff said.

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2008, 12:30:39 AM »

64. It Conquered the World: the antithesis one could argue of THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL as here Roger Corman gives us a manipulative, decidedly non-humanoid alien bent on achieving world domination by whatever means it can. Who were ever forget Paul Blaisdell's vegetable like creation, affectionally named Beulah by many of its fans not to mention Beverly Garland's screaming and just how much fun all around this little film really is.

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2008, 06:41:40 AM »

63. TEENAGERS FROM OUTER SPACE

Low budget ('disintegrator gun' was a cap gun purchased for a dime) alien invasion movie.  The main monster was only shown in shadow!!

I know this one gets blasted pretty often, but I loved it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Cthulhu

« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2008, 08:12:25 AM »

The galaxy invader
Rednecks vs. the retarded cousin of the Creature from the black lagoon!
This is a truly entertaining flick. The monster look kinda good, the special effects are cheesy, ad the dialogue is hilarious.
And don't forget the infamous drooling scene...
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2008, 09:17:37 AM »

61.  A BOY AND HIS DOG

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Kester Pelagius
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Not a Time Lord!

« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2008, 09:18:44 AM »

60. Yor - The Hunter from the Future - It's Teenage Caveman meets When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth (sadly sans nudity) in an pseudo-almost Ator S&S setting using props and costumes recycled from Starcrash!  Extra points for the 'students' able to identify which movies are being ripped off.

Cosmic Cinema - SF articles and reviews.

Mise-en-scene Crypt - Rants, reviews, & more! (10% NSFW)
peter johnson

« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2008, 11:01:03 AM »

A small defense of my 2 choices:

Hammer never made an A picture during its entire existence as a studio -- While some of their pictures have an undeniable quality to them, all of them struggled with limited budgets and a make-do mentality prevailed.  The gorgeous costumes existed merely because the studio had access to an almost unlimited inventory of pre-made theatrical costumes, but 99% of what you see in a Hammer film was recycled from stage shows or some other movie/some other backlot at Shepperton, etc.  "Five Million Years to Earth" is a wonderful film, and certainly an "A" film in my book, but it was a corner-cutting "B" film in commercial terms, just as all the Hammers were.  As Keister says at the outset to the thread, these films don't have to be bad, just essential "B"'s.  2001 had been released alread when this came out, so the public was starting to gear up for "A" level science fiction, so this was already seen as an anachronistic film upon release.  As I say, I think this has to be included because it shows just how good you can be with limited resources, time constraints, and all the other factors that plague B makers to this day.

Metropolis was certainly originally conceived as an A film, but to many people not inured to the ham-fisted, stagey acting of epic silent cinema, the actions and gestures of many of the lead actors come across as peculiar and laughable in today's ouvre.  Even critics of the day thought the acting was outdated, overblown, and hackneyed at times, even while they praised its technical vision.  If we were to remake this film today, you would have to tweak the acting style considerably in order for it to work.  By 1931, Lang had turned to directing a more naturalistic style of acting, much like Eric von Stroheim in "Wedding March"(Also silent & released 2 years after "Metropolis"), and this is why things like Lang's "M" can be shown to modern audiences who don't need to make allowances for stagey gestures, etc.   Metropolis sits squarely in the B-film category for me due to this already-outmoded acting style contrasted with the ahead-of-its-time technology on display.  It's a mashing together of incongruous ingredients to create a unique, garish, lavish, baroque stew, sort of like "Flash Gordon", and hence I do consider it a "B" picture by standards of its own day as well as ours.

peter johnson/denny lang

I have no idea what this means.
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2008, 01:31:39 PM »

59. ATTACK OF THE MONSTERS (1969) (AKA: Gamera vs. Guiron/Gamera tai daiakuju Giron)

Plot: A trio of children (2 boys and a girl), intrigued by news reports of mysterious sound waves sent to Earth from outer space, star gazing spot a flying saucer!  They later discover it and and the two boys decide to investigate while the girl being more wary decides to wait outside. After entering the spaceship however, the two boys suddenly find themselves being whisked off into space. Along the way they spot and greet Gamera who tries to prevent the ship from leaving our galaxy but even he cannot keep up with its incredible speed. After the ship lands, the two boys find themselves on a strange new planet and suddenly spot another version of Gaos in battle with the planet’s guardian, a knife-headed monster with a mean streak named Guiron. Gamera all this time has still been on the trail of the boys’ spaceship. Meanwhile aliens are watching with possible evil intentions?

Comments: This was tremendous fun. The little kid in me loved every minute of it. Sure the kids are a bit annoying at times (but moreso I suspect to adult ears than to a child’s) and the effects aren’t always up to par but man do the monster battles ever deliver the goods in this one. They are knock-down drag-out affairs especially those featuring Gamera and Guiron and surprisingly graphic in terms of their brutality yet the film never loses sight of making clear just who is evil and who is good. Like the best pro wrestling of yesteryear, it manages to make the hero Gamera incredibly sympathetic while the villian Guiron comes across as little more than a nasty-tempered brute and a bully who needs to be taught a lesson in manners.

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2008, 06:59:26 PM »

58. METALSTORM: THE DESTRUCTION OF JARED-SYN (1983)... in 3D! Lookingup  Okay, maybe this should be on the SF Z-movies list... 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
peter johnson

« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2008, 08:23:11 PM »

I saw Metalstorm first-run, on the big screen, when it first came out . . .

Is there a letter lower than Z ? . . .

peter zed/denny zero

I have no idea what this means.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2008, 09:00:47 PM »

I saw Metalstorm first-run, on the big screen, when it first came out . . .

Is there a letter lower than Z ? . . .

peter zed/denny zero
I saw it in a drive-in... twice!!   (The drive-in was essential for inebriates and other activities...)  25 years ago sounds exactly right.  I certainly remember it's badness.  Perhaps it's badness converted me to realize I have a taste for low-rent trash!   (Not likely I always loved sleazy horrors).  TeddyR Thumbup
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 09:05:11 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
brooky1969
Dedicated Viewer

Give us a kiss luv.

« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2008, 10:06:33 PM »

59. The Ice Pirates

Robot fights, time warps, and space herpes. Plus the girl who shot J.R. in space!
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2008, 11:26:35 PM »

58. It Came From Outer Space (1953): Jack Arnold's classic alien invasion movie was based on a story written by Ray Bradbury.. A real spectacle in 3D at its time. One of the first, if not the first, to feature aliens walking amongst us.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  100 essential SF B-movies, as chosen by you! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.