Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:39:31 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  100 essential SF B-movies, as chosen by you! « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
Author Topic: 100 essential SF B-movies, as chosen by you!  (Read 51083 times)
Kester Pelagius
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Not a Time Lord!

« Reply #105 on: August 21, 2008, 12:50:16 PM »

Hmm well I have to admit to some confusion with regards to this thread. I thought what was wanted was "so bad they're good" type films or "films you just gatta see to believe" instead of genuine good SF B-Movies.

Not merely "good" or "bad" but essential movies.  Movies you feel that others HAVE to see to fully appreciate the genre.  IOW: The sort of movie that you love so much, feel so strongly about being an essential genre flick, that you'd suggest to others.   So feel free to nominate any genre defining SF b-movie that you, personally, feel are must see flicks; even if it's a beach party movie.   Wink

EX: I put in STAR CRYSTAL because, well, it is one of those "films you just gatta see to believe" because it's an Alien knock-off with a E.T. twist.  I know, I know it's also incredibly bad.  But I plan to nominate Horror Planet (AKA Inseminoid) and Titan Find (AKA Creature), which are also, IMO, must see Alien knock-offs.  But I put in SC first because, well, it ranks lower for me as a "must see".

Why not GALAXY OF TERROR or FORBIDDEN WORLD?  Because I haven't seen them, or rather haven't watched them since the 80s.  They're AWOL on R1 DVD but I have the others and would, and have, recommended them.

If we're supposed to go that route, a lot of 1950s SF certainly qualifies even THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD (a film I thought too good to name here) which features James Arness as the vegetable monster.

I'll second that as an "essential" sci-fi b-movie.

And I might as well nominate. . .

22. The Thing (1982)

Cosmic Cinema - SF articles and reviews.

Mise-en-scene Crypt - Rants, reviews, & more! (10% NSFW)
Raffine
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #106 on: August 22, 2008, 03:15:29 PM »

21. INVADERS FROM MARS (1953)

One night, a small boy, David MacLean (Jimmy Hunt), sees a flying saucer land near his home. His scientist father (Leif Erickson) goes to investigate; when he returns, there is an unusual mark on the back of his neck and he behaves in a different, cold and hostile manner. Gradually, David realizes that there is a conspiracy in which the people of the town are one by one becoming cold and inhuman.

With the help of a local astronomer Arthur Franz and health-department physician Helena Carter, he learns that the flying saucer, that has buried itself in a sandpit just behind his home, is the vanguard of an invasion from Mars. The Army is contacted and convinced to investigate, leading to a military penetration of the underground hideout established by the Martians. The troops enter the saucer. Inside they find a Martian, mostly a large head with strange tentacles, encased in a glassy sphere. The Martian mastermind is served by tall, green, silent humanoid "mutants", who use cerebral implants to control the townsfolk in order to sabotage nuclear rocket experiments at a facility just outside of town.

Wikipedia plot summary

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #107 on: August 22, 2008, 09:47:08 PM »

20 - When Worlds Collide

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Kester Pelagius
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Not a Time Lord!

« Reply #108 on: August 23, 2008, 08:56:41 AM »

19. Creature (AKA Titan Find) - An 80s era Alien knock-off taken back to it's Planet of the Vampire roots with an over-the-top performances (as usual) from Klaus Kinski and Diane Salinger.

brooky1969
Dedicated Viewer

Give us a kiss luv.

« Reply #109 on: August 23, 2008, 11:37:33 AM »

18. Starship Troopers

Pays tribute to the old classics but adds some modern effects work and features a couple of cute girls. Michael Ironside is his typical badass character and the bugs are pretty awesome. Good violence and Doogie Howser in space elevate it even further.

I hope this qualifies as a B flicker. If not, then you can replace it with Steel Dawn, which was Patrick Swayze in the modern-ish adaptation of Shane.
Kester Pelagius
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Not a Time Lord!

« Reply #110 on: August 23, 2008, 04:07:10 PM »

17. Wing Commander

While made pre Uwe Boll, pre the rise of the lame sciffy original movies, this was largely a disappointment to fans of the video games the movie at the time.  However when compared to recent movies adapting video game properties WC is actually not all that bad.  Anyway it's better than Starship Troopers 2.   Wink

brooky1969
Dedicated Viewer

Give us a kiss luv.

« Reply #111 on: August 23, 2008, 06:12:26 PM »

16. Screamers

Peter Weller on a distant planet battling self-replicating killing machines that burrow into the ground and destroy all enemies. Of course at some point they decide all humans are enemies and the hunt is on. Also features the lovely Jennifer Rubin.

Wing Commander is headed straight into my netflix queue. Been a while since I've seen that one. Good choice.  Thumbup
JJ80
« Reply #112 on: August 23, 2008, 08:04:33 PM »

No.15 - "Pulse" (1988) - A malevolent form of electricity (whose source is never explained) endangers a newly wed couple and the husband's son from a previous marriage. Cliff De Young gives a nicely dedicated performance as the Dad in this strange mix of "Poltergeist" and "Maximum Overdrive".
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #113 on: August 24, 2008, 09:41:51 AM »

14 - Virus (1999) - A more recent entry, and a movie I'm really quite fond of. Jamie Lee Curtis and Billy Baldwin taking on biomechanical horrors in the middle of a hurricane. Some freaky looking critters in this one. Gotta love it. Worth seeing just to see Donald Sutherland turned into a spidery cyborg sea captain!

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Kester Pelagius
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Not a Time Lord!

« Reply #114 on: August 24, 2008, 11:20:26 AM »

To continue the theme I'll nominate. .

13. Lifeforce

Starring Mathilda May, directed by Tobe Hooper, with guest appearance by Halley's comet.  ;)  A bit dated but campy space-vampire fun.

brooky1969
Dedicated Viewer

Give us a kiss luv.

« Reply #115 on: August 24, 2008, 11:53:53 AM »

12. Barbarella

Fantastic sets, interesting characters, and Jane Fonda in skimpy futuristic fashions. Yummy!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #116 on: August 24, 2008, 11:30:37 PM »

FLASH GORDON ?? (1980)  Watch out for CHEEZEWIZ...

Now this was a Big Budget Movie, that was way "B" for me, I guess camp always lends itself to B-worthiness! 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #117 on: August 25, 2008, 07:59:25 AM »

Leviathan - fairly standard Alien knock-off, but with truly excellent characters and a great setting in an underwater mining rig. 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Dr. Whom
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #118 on: August 25, 2008, 09:09:07 AM »

Did I miss it, or is The Brain from Planet Arous not on this list? If so, I nominate it!

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
Kester Pelagius
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Not a Time Lord!

« Reply #119 on: August 25, 2008, 10:05:45 AM »

8. Inseminoid (AKA Horror Planet)

From director Norman J. Warren comes an not so standard Alien knock-off that starts out similarly to Star Crystal but quickly becomes a LSD nightmare ala Galaxy of Terror as Judy Geeson's character is abducted by an giant phallic E.T. look-a-like space alien and impregnated, soon after to give birth to it's progeny of deadly alien spawn.  This movie is totally mad!

Inseminoid Unrated VHS cover scan (NSFW)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 10:11:46 AM by Kester Pelagius » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  100 essential SF B-movies, as chosen by you! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.