Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:22:50 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  100 essential action/martial arts b movies, as chosen by you « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Author Topic: 100 essential action/martial arts b movies, as chosen by you  (Read 31046 times)
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« on: August 08, 2008, 12:22:48 PM »

Well I guess it's time that I jump on the bandwagon and start my own 100 essential list.  This time for action/martial arts b movies. 

I guess I will start starting from 100 down to number 1.

100. Bloodsport (1988) - One of the few Jean Claude Van Damme films that I can watch without getting sick.  It's got everything that a martial arts movie should have, corny dialogue, excellent and to some extent over the top fight scenes and good looking women.  Plus it also has Forest Whitaker in it, how can you go wrong with him.

Edit: Hopefully we can get to 100.  If not we will try and get as many as we can.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 12:52:21 PM by asimpson2006 » Logged
Patient7
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 12:38:23 PM »

99. MORTAL KOMBAT!  Kung fu, based off video game need I say more.  Oh wait, yes I do

Small | Large

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 12:39:03 PM »

No.98 - Fearless Hyena - The directorial debut of Jackie Chan proved that the man knew what his strengths were and how best to exploit them: comedy kung-fu and elaborate fight scenes that make heavy use of props and set pieces.

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 12:40:38 PM »

I don't know as many of these as I would like, but I'll try to help.

97. MASTER OF THE FLYING GUILLOTINE

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
brooky1969
Dedicated Viewer

Give us a kiss luv.

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 01:09:58 PM »

96. Kung Fu Hustle

Just ridiculously fun from start to finish.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 01:26:54 PM »

95. TO KILL WITH INTRIGUE (1977) (AKA: Jian hua yan yu jiang nan):

Stars Jackie Chan, Feng Hsu, Hei Lou Chen, Ching Hsia Chiang. Directed by Wei Lo.

Source: English Dubbed Region-Free DVD from Media. Extras: None. I actually bought this at a Dollar store for a buck Canadian. I feel I got my money’s worth. Sure, the dubbing is atrocious but hilariously so.

Plot: A young master named Cao Lei (Jackie Chan) drives away his pregnant girlfriend, whose name is  “Chin Chin” (believe it or not, the name is Japanese slang for “penis”), from the family castle because he knows it’s about to be raided by a gang of deadly bandits (named the Killer Bee Gang) determined to kill his family. He charges a new friend with her care and protection. Following the attack on his family by the gang lead by a mysterious veiled woman who possesses tremendous, perhaps even mystical, fighting skills, Cao Lei somehow finds himself spared as the veiled woman seems to take a peculiar interest in him and begins following him around like a shadow. Meanwhile the man Cao Lei had entrusted to care for his girlfriend is not quite the honorable fellow Cao Lei had thought. We soon discover his plans do not mirror those of Cao Lei. (plot description I used in my IMDB comments on the film).

Comments: This one is quite strange, truly bizarre. The attack on Cao Lei’s family led by the veiled woman is truly unusual and like something out of a twisted Horror film. It features one sequence where a man demands his severed hand, sent to the Lei clan as a warning of impending attack be returned to him. It is, he puts it back on and screaming maniacally disappears into the night only for a bunch of mask figures to soon thereafter rise up demanding their lives be returned to them obviously a reference to the Killer Bee Gang members Cao Lei’s father had killed in the past (he says he nearly wiped out the Killer Bee Gang in his past and now regrets he didn’t wipe them out entirely). The veiled woman possesses tremendous, perhaps even supernatural, fighting skills and with the help of a lot of rather well-done wire work seriously kicks Jackie Chan’s butt. The  mystery veiled woman played by Feng Hsu completely steals the show whenever she appears on screen. The overall plot proves most confusing, I wonder if it perhaps made a bit more sense in its original Cantonese,  especially as it involves the veiled woman’s interest in Chan’s Cao Lei who all reason dictates should be sworn enemies yet...that said, this one has more than enough to please me. It delivers some fun kung-fu fighting action and even possesses supernatural elements to boot. Sure it may be a bit on the confusing, unbelievable side in terms of plot but I really had a blast watching it unfold. It may not be considered a genre film but I feel it ought to be.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 02:52:45 PM »

94. Lone Wolf Mcquade (1983)

if you think because you like stuff like the matrix or asian cop movies with chow yun fat you are prepared for Chuck norris, think again. There is no pretense of cleverness here. There's no pretense at all. You get a veritable mountain of cliches. Mcbain from the "simpsons" is Fellini in comparison. But it works. The other actors are fantastic: David carradine and Billy Dee Williams and the beautiful Barbera Carrera. This is better than "Invasion USA". It borrows a bit from bruce lee and from the spaghetti westerns that Bruce lee borrowed alot from and while the action is very good, it doesn't really explode, more just a steady stream of entertaining explosions. it's a prime example of Norris's very straightforward style. I would definately watch this again.
Cult Movie Mania
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 04:13:30 PM »

Action/Kung-Fu isn't really my thing, but I'll contribute The Challenge (1982) at #93, an action-packed martial arts flick with Scott Glenn and Toshiro Mifune, directed by John Frankenheimer from a script co-written by John Sayles.

Memorable scene: Scott Glenn swallowing live swimming eels!

Your weird wide web HQ for the BEST Cult and Horror Movie coverage!
www.cultmoviemania.com
www.filthythemovie.com
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 04:29:28 PM »

#92: FIGHTING OF THE SHAOLIN MONK (1977) (AKA: SHAOLIN MONK/KILLER PRIEST)

Stars Chen Sing, Chuen Yuen, Phillip Ko, Wen Chiang Long and Chia Ling. Directed by Lin Fu Ti.

Plot: A Buddhist monk, Tamo (Chen Sing), has come from India in hope of spreading the word but meets much resistance and little success according to our opening narration. Soon he sets his sights on finding one Chi-Yun (Wen Chiang Long), a young doctor in training who Tamo insists is fated to become his pupil and a monk in the Shaolin temple. The young man’s girlfriend Yen Chi (played with great spirit and gusto by Chia Ling), quite the fighter in her own right, meanwhile protests this idea greatly determined not to lose her man. Soon Tamo, Chi-Yun and a reluctant Yen Chi must join forces to do battle with an evil Taoist priest (Chuen Yuen) who’s managed to take over the town following a murderous game of revenge all thanks to his bizarre, mysterious master and trainer (Phillip Ko).

Comments: This is pretty damn weird. The Buddhist monk Tamo displays extraordinary powers and abilities in this one including powers of levitation, telekinesis, the ability to vanish without a trace and the ability to keep one’s balance on a reed as it floats across a stream. The Taoist trainer played by Phillip Ko also displays unusual abilities having made his fist super strong, powerful enough to strike a blow straight through a tree as well being able to move at faster than usual speeds (personally I’m inclined to think this Kung Fu film is a part of the fantasy genre). It’s their battle at the end that proves this film’s most exciting event, that and the battle between Tamo’s new student Chi-Yun and the evil Taoist priest whose plot caused his father’s disgrace. The rest is surprisingly bland and forgettable aside from the constant protests of Yen Chi against the idea of her man becoming a Shaolin monk and her attempts to ensure it does not happen. Also the evil Taoist priest livens things up with his twisted hijinks, a highlight being his stealing of all the towns’ women.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 08:14:58 PM »

#91 The Buddhist Fist - This film is absolutely awesome when it comes to martial arts.  The choreography is amazing. I haven't seen it in awhile so I figure I'd let a scene speak for itself.

Small | Large

#90 The Devil's Sword - Still one of the most insane films I've ever reviewed.  Nymphomaniac reptile queens, floating warriors but wait...theres more...
Small | Large

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Sister Grace

I found my mind in a brown paper bag...

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2008, 08:19:06 PM »

89. Two Crippled Heros... need i say more?

Society, exactly as it now exists is the ultimate expression of sadomasochism in action.<br />-boyd rice-<br />On the screen, there\\\'s a death and the rustle of cloth; and a sickly voice calling me handsome...<br />-Nick Cave-
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 08:27:14 PM »

No.88 - Tiger on the Beat - A movie introduced to me here on the forum during a post requesting info about movies featuring chainsaw duels last year. Chow Yun Fat starring and Conan Lee chainsaw fighting! Praise Hong Kong! TeddyR

Small | Large

Lesson learned? Paper beast rock, Kryptonite beats Superman, and machine gun beats chainsaw. Wink
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 08:37:23 PM by AnubisVonMojo » Logged

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 08:28:11 PM »

Only if it's "The Crippled Masters" Sis.  Wink

Sister Grace

I found my mind in a brown paper bag...

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2008, 08:50:09 PM »

same movie, my copy was released under two crippled heros

Society, exactly as it now exists is the ultimate expression of sadomasochism in action.<br />-boyd rice-<br />On the screen, there\\\'s a death and the rustle of cloth; and a sickly voice calling me handsome...<br />-Nick Cave-
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2008, 09:15:05 PM »

same movie, my copy was released under two crippled heros

There are indeed two different movies Grace, both done with the same actors. Crippled Masters was a 1979 production and Two Crippled Heroes was a 1980 follow-up. For some reason the latter is only listed on IMDB as "Crippled Heroes", but the VHS copy I have adds the "Two". The pair even made their act into a trilogy with a third movie called Fighting Life in 1981. TeddyR

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  100 essential action/martial arts b movies, as chosen by you « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.