Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:27:18 PM
713370 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Yup...country music. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Yup...country music.  (Read 19479 times)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« on: August 10, 2008, 11:37:30 AM »

Ok...right off the bat...I can't STAND modern so called country music! I DETEST it with a passion! But old time country,bluegrass,and alot of country even into the 70's I enjoyed. Here are more han a few favorites...

.HANK SNOW-A Canadian! Yup. Didn't know that,eh?
.HANK WILLIAMS SR.- His kid comes across as a whiny ass phoney. The real McCoy here!
.PATSY CLINE-I love her. I woulda married this lady...if I had been born,and worthy.
.the OSBOURNE BROS.-No relation to Ozzy. Bluegrass kings.
.JIMMY RODGERS_T for Texas....the Grandpa of modern C+W.
.LORETTA LYNN- This women is an icon. She lived what she sang. No Phoney Chicago, media hyped,American Idol BS here...this woman IS country!

Back when I was a kid...my Dad watched the GREEN VALLY JAMBOREE broadcast outta Decater,Mich.....about 7 miles from Lawton...wether I liked it or not...it has a hold and formed who I am today. I may listen to punk and metal...but I also listen to the old hillbilly (NOT COUNTRY) music of my youth. I live in the boonies...it's a part of who I am.

Loretta Lynn...Everybodys Somebodys Fool

Small | Large

Hank Snow...my favorite..I'm Movin' On...!

Small | Large

Pick some corn,son!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 12:16:34 PM »

I'm with you, RC.  What passes as country in Nashville these days is just pop music with steel guitars.  I like the real stuff from the 1930s-1970s, plus a lot of the current independent alt-country bands that mix rock and country. 

Favorites: Johnny Cash, Bill Monroe, The Cowboy Junkies, Willie Nelson, Patsy Cline, Drive-By Truckers.

Small | Large

"On a Sunday morning sidewalk, I'm wishin' Lord that I was stoned..."

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 01:07:40 PM »

Johnny...that's a great song...and very fitting for me today. Tara Sue is back in the hospital last night...the old time country ...it helps to relax me...

Hank Sr....

Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Patient7
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 01:18:05 PM »

I do enjoy Lynard Skynard and The Allman Brothers, Johnny Cash is pretty good as well, other than that I don't really listen to country.

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 01:26:09 PM »

"Country music" of today is more wretched than "Pop."  I agree Bela that old real Country was great.  HANK WILLIAMS is one of my favorites in any genre.  I also love BOB WILLS & HIS TEXAS PLAYBOYS, and THE CARTER FAMILY (this clip is a later incarnation fronted by MAYBELLE; JUNE is missing, ALVIN and SARAH were long gone from the group):    
Small | Large

I'm also fond of the Country Pop crossover acts like PATSY CLINE and:
THE STATLER BROTHERS
Small | Large

BOBBIE GENTRY:
Small | Large

LYNN ANDERSON :
Small | Large

« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 01:38:10 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 02:31:06 PM »

I do enjoy Lynard Skynard and The Allman Brothers, Johnny Cash is pretty good as well, other than that I don't really listen to country.

If you like Skynyrd...you may enjoy DAVID ALLEN COE....

Small | Large

Hallows...

believe it or not...Bob Willis is the music on the radio in the original TEXAS CAHINSAW MASSACRE!!! Next time you watch it...listen to the old hillbilly music coming off the kids radio in the van....it's them,awright!!!  Thumbup

Another favorite...Granpa Jones...

Many rember him from HEE HAW-

Listen to this....Ol' Rattler!!!

Small | Large

"
Turn the Pups loose now!!!"
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 03:08:19 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 05:05:09 PM »

I only listen to Country music when it's played BACKWARDS, that way your girl comes back, your dog comes back home, the bank gives you a trailer, your truck gets fixed, your kids get out of jail, , ,,

Old joke, I know, , but I had to say it.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 06:41:49 PM »

I like Dolly Parton  TongueOut

Small | Large

Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 06:54:29 PM »

While I agree overall that modern country music is a pale shadow of itself, there are a few that harken back to the golden age, in overall attitude if not in sound. Randy Travis has the voice of a country star of yesteryear, and Travis Tritt has the attitude of an old timer country star.

Randy Travis
Small | Large

Travis Tritt (okay, this one's kinda old, but it's one of my favorites)
Small | Large

Hank, Sr., was the first artist I bought way back when I started switching to cds, and Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, and Roger Miller are perpetual favorites

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
flackbait

The fate of the last door to door salesmen

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 06:56:00 PM »

Could somebody clarify what exactly their definition of country is?
I know its not the modern crap, but i was always under the impression that bands like Lynrd Skinard and the Allman Brothers were southern rock and not really true country.
Personally I think Johhny Cash or Arlo Guthrie would be the best. But if you include the southern rock groups I'd also add Lynrd Skynard and the allman brothers
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008, 09:29:03 PM »

I know its not the modern crap, but i was always under the impression that bands like Lynrd Skinard and the Allman Brothers were southern rock and not really true country.
Personally I think Johhny Cash or Arlo Guthrie would be the best. But if you include the southern rock groups I'd also add Lynrd Skynard and the allman brothers
LYNYRD SKYNYRD and ALLMAN BROTHERS were great, and I agree they're best described as "Southern Rock."   I'd probably call ARLO GUTHRIE Folk, but he's apparently ventured into many types of music (I don't listen to him). 

I like Dolly Parton  TongueOut
DOLLY PARTON is a great singer/songwriter, an important Country artist, who has produced many highly regarded and high selling records.  Though I really like DOLLY, I don't listen to her, either.   Smile
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 09:31:44 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

flackbait

The fate of the last door to door salesmen

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2008, 09:36:11 PM »

LYNYRD SKYNYRD and ALLMAN BROTHERS were great, and I agree they're best described as "Southern Rock."   I'd probably call ARLO GUTHRIE Folk, but he's apparently ventured into many types of music (I don't listen to him). 

Thanks that's kinda what I thought. My mistake putting arlo guthrie down, he really was a folk musician, i just got distracted.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2008, 09:42:28 PM »

Bela: I really like GRANDPA JONES!!! 
Found some footage of HANK WILLIAMS.  This great clip has two songs, HANK followed by HANK and ANITA CARTER singing "I Can't Help It" (probably my favorite HANK song): 
Small | Large

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2008, 09:54:41 PM »

"7 Spanish Angels" by Willie Nelson and Ray Charles.  What can I say?
Small | Large

"I Walk the Line" by Johnny Cash- My favorite of the older country musicians.
Small | Large

"It's Me Again Margaret" by Ray Stevens
Small | Large

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2008, 11:26:42 PM »

Today's country music is manipulative drivel written to push people's buttons by playing to patriotism, religion, the undeniable superiority of simple country folk, etc. There was always some of that, but it has never been done in such a hamfisted fashion. And country has gone pop. It's gotten glamorous.

Growing up, my parents were big fans of Hee-Haw. They had records and later cassettes of Hank Williams, Charley Pride, The Statler Brothers, The Oak Ridge Boys and so forth. Some of that rubbed off on me, although not until later. I got into country in the early 90s, by way of southern rock. Then I got into all of the "new" country that was coming out in the early 90s, at a time when rock and pop were offering nothing I wanted. Travis Tritt, Marty Stewart, Doug Stone, Vince Gill, Brooks & Dunn, Joe Diffy. Those guys and others were offering music that was fun and clever at a time when the choice seemed to be between dreary "alternative" music and mindless dance beats. From there, I graduated to Hank Jr., Waylon Jennings, Jerry Reed, and started to dig into those old memories of my parents' music.

My friends and I also became huge fans of Canadian country legend Stompin' Tom Connors, so named because he stomps his boot to keep time, which has destroyed many a sheet of plywood over the years. This is a rough old guy who launched his career by running away in his teens and hitting the road with a guitar on his back, hitching rides, playing bars and working odd jobs for years before he made a name for himself. He's travelled all over Canada and written loads of songs about people and places, history, legends, politics and everyday stuff. It's fun music, with a lot of humour, and in many cases, a lot of substance too. He's a big supporter of Canadian artists. In the 70s, he gave back his Juno awards (like the Canadian Grammy) and retired in protest at the lack of opportunity for Canadian musicians to find success without leaving their country. He came back in the late 80s, at just the right time for us. I own a bunch of his albums, I've seen him play live on two occasions, and I almost got to interview him once, except that he had contractual obligations that prevented it at the time. His fans come in all ages. My grandmother used to like his music. When I was in elementary school, some of his songs were used to teach history. In discussions of great Canadians, he's included along with scientists, statesmen and heroes.

And here are just a few of his tunes:
Small | Large

Small | Large

Small | Large

Small | Large

Small | Large

Small | Large

Small | Large
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 11:31:29 PM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Yup...country music. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.