Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:26:13 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Anybody watching the Olympics? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Anybody watching the Olympics?  (Read 9332 times)
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« on: August 13, 2008, 07:37:43 AM »

I'm usually a big fan, but this year I just can't get into it.  At least they're not doing all the 20 minute long personal interest crap like they have in years past, but what I hate is you never know when a certain sport is going to be on TV.  They have a 12 hour block of coverage, during which sports A, B and C will be shown.  You might have to sit through 4 hours of stuff that you're not the least bit interested in to see 10 minutes of something good.  Men's beach volleyball, professional tennis, Olympic boxing (even the commentators talk about nothing except how lame the whole thing is), etc.  Geez, where's that Aussie women's basketball team in those skin-tight outfits?  Lost somewhere in 9 hours of coverage of horses prancing and water polo. 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 08:47:33 AM »

I'll tape the Aussie's for you Jack, since they're certain to be shown here!  Wink

Personally I'm just hoping Georgia and Russia play each other in the Women's Beach Volleyball, I can't be sure but I think they play each other, and here's hoping it's a firecracker!

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 08:56:05 AM »

Not a big sports fan, and not particularly interested in the Olympics. Last night, I happened to catch about five minutes of Men's Beach Volleyball before putting in a DVD. I watched just long enough to comment on what a ridiculous Olympic sport that was. What's next, Olympic frisbee?

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 04:31:15 PM »

I'll tape the Aussie's for you Jack, since they're certain to be shown here!  Wink

Personally I'm just hoping Georgia and Russia play each other in the Women's Beach Volleyball, I can't be sure but I think they play each other, and here's hoping it's a firecracker!

If you could put that on a DVD+RW for me, that'd be fantastic  Cheers

I guess Russia and Georgia did play each other, and Georgia won.  The Russian's were a bit miffed, but mostly because the Georgian players aren't from Georgia - they're citizens of Brazil and have only been to Georgia twice in their lives.  The Georgian's apparently pay them to play.  Their names are Santanna and Chagas, but they use the names Rtvelo and Saka, apparently too keep people from laughing too hard  Question

Ah, all in the spirit of the Games I guess  TeddyR
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 04:46:28 PM by Jack » Logged

- Paulo Coelho
enemy
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 07:40:32 PM »

I didn't think I'd watch a minute of it, but I've actually been watching it quite a bit.  I liked the road race, but I'm glad it was condensed from 6 1/2 hours. 
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 08:06:41 PM »

I'm catching a few events here and there and I'm finding that staying away from NBC is the best thing for me.  Its almost as if they are giving you the ADD version of the Olympics.  I'd rather have fluid coverage of one event rather than skipping around from gymnastics to swimming to volleyball. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 11:17:49 AM »

Most people I know, (this includes me) only seem to watch the olympics when the Ukrainian gymnasts in spandex are on and when the American runners come out to anihilate everyone else.

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 12:31:59 PM »

We have been watching some.  My daughter likes swimming and gymnastics (doing them...she has little experience watching others do them) and of course horses.

We don't have cable or satellite, so we are locked into NBC.  What gripes me is that NO ONE CARES about beach volleyball, yet that gets the prime time coverage and endless yacking.  I find it bordering on offensive how the commentators are shoving Misty May and what's-her-name down our throats like we are supposed to be in awe of them and worship the sand they play volleyball in.

I love the sport of regular volleyball, but for whatever reason, cannot stand this so-called "beach volleyball."

Now, the real aggravation about this is that little girls all over the country are into gymnastics.  Yet the gymnastics coverage is at 11 pm.  We've been letting our daughter go to bed, get a few hours sleep, then if she wants to get up to watch the gymnastics, she comes back out.  Similar with the swimming if it's not on early.

We've also been using the Olympics as our geography lessons for schoolwork.  She looks up the various countries on a map, for example.  I don't think that's too bad a way for a second grader to learn a bit about other countries.

Mostly, though, I just get tired of the coverage of the same 2-3 sports.  I want to see sailing, archery, shooting and the rowing - most of that is NOT covered, at all (even in synopsis) on NBC.

I also get sick of the "medal count" phenomenon.  To me, it's become more about medal count and which country, through spending and technology, can amass the most "gold," rather than what it used to be: individuals achieving some level of personal greatness.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 04:39:21 AM »

It's been fascinating to see some of the men's swimming races. 

Watching Lezak (american team captain) destroy that smack-talking Alain Bernard in the 4x100 free relay... THAT was priceless.  I hope Alain gets lots of microphones shoved in his face back at home, asking him about "crushing the Americans."    Damn.. I yelled so loud when that race finished.  C'mon, Alain.  Second place is pretty good... isn't it?

And Phelps has just been amazing to see...  Never seen anything quite like his determination.  He's going to win medal #8 on Sunday, you know it, and he's going down in history as the most decorated Olympian.  Bet he even wins a few more medals in four years, if he wants to.

Watching the American beach v-ball team has been fun. =)   What, they have men's beach v-ball?  I never noticed 'em.    TeddyR
Torgo

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 11:45:01 PM »

I always find myself watching more of the winter olympics versus the summer ones.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 07:39:20 AM »

I've been watching the women's indoor volleyball.  Some of those South American teams -  Thumbup

The coverage is just silly.  I was watching women's pole vault:  They show four minutes of it, then an hour later, another five minutes.  Then they cut to commercial just as the final two competitors are going for the gold medal.  Never did see it, wasn't going to wait until midnight for the last one minute.  Same with women's wrestling - they didn't show half of one of the gold medal matches (which last about 3 minutes).  Got commercials instead.  But if it's basketball, we get 15 minutes of the players walking around the court before the game even begins.

All this stuff during the day is pre-recorded, it's the middle of the night in Beijing.  Why the heck can't they tell you when something is going to be on?  Like, sport A, 11:15 - 11:45.  No, just a 12 hour block during which 6 sports will be shown.  Can't even set the DVD recorder.

- Paulo Coelho
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 01:55:07 PM »

I did watch the women's (insert distance) meter race/marathon thing that the romanian woman won. Must admit I did get hooked and it was funny again to see Paula Radcliffe fail after the british media hyped her up again! haha!

Congrats to Michael Phelps and Usain Bolt, awesome, just awesome.

ulthar

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 02:46:18 PM »

it was funny again to see Paula Radcliffe fail after the british media hyped her up again! haha!

Why is someone's 'failure' funny? 

Besides, she did not fail at all in my opinion.  She competed in the Olympic Marathon and completed it.  Do you realize that only 82 (iirc) women started that race and even fewer finished?  In a world of 3 or so BILLION, she is the company of less than 100 people.

Failure?

In addition, she currently holds the world record, and when she set it, she beat her own world record that she had previously won.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marathon_world_best_progression

Her world record time, which of course makes her technically the fastest Marathon runner on record to have ever lived is nearly TEN MINUTES faster than the 2008 Olympic Gold Medal time (which was itself a blow-out).

Failure indeed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--Real Genius
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 02:54:19 PM »

it was funny again to see Paula Radcliffe fail after the british media hyped her up again! haha!

Why is someone's 'failure' funny? 

Besides, she did not fail at all in my opinion.  She competed in the Olympic Marathon and completed it.  Do you realize that only 82 (iirc) women started that race and even fewer finished?  In a world of 3 or so BILLION, she is the company of less than 100 people.

Failure?

In addition, she currently holds the world record, and when she set it, she beat her own world record that she had previously won.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marathon_world_best_progression

Her world record time, which of course makes her technically the fastest Marathon runner on record to have ever lived is nearly TEN MINUTES faster than the 2008 Olympic Gold Medal time (which was itself a blow-out).

Failure indeed.

I'm not bothered, she wasn't ready to compete after her injury and didn't win gold like everyone in the UK press just expects her to. That is the only reason I said what I did. If you had to watch our coverage you'd say the same, stupid slow motion close-ups of her crying all the time, rather than carrying on with coverage of other events. My opinion.

ulthar

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 02:57:08 PM »

I'm not bothered, she wasn't ready to compete after her injury and didn't win gold like everyone in the UK press just expects her to. That is the only reason I said what I did. If you had to watch our coverage you'd say the same, stupid slow motion close-ups of her crying all the time, rather than carrying on with coverage of other events. My opinion.

That's the press' failure, not hers (unless of course she was fueling that type of coverage of herself, which I doubt).

Aggravation with the coverage in particular and the sports press in general seems to be a common theme in this and similar Olympic threads.

--Real Genius
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Anybody watching the Olympics? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.