Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:50:13 AM
712925 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Alien 3 « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Alien 3  (Read 64962 times)
Ken Hart
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2008, 12:00:04 AM »

The Dog-Alien thing makes sense to me. Considering all the xenomorphs previously had been pretty much exclusively human-born, it isn't a stretch to assume that it is possible   for the host genetics to play a part. I mean, this is the same creature that grows from the size of an egg, to the size of a house python in several hours, then grows to what, like 6 or 7 feet tall in days or less.

Still, I have been p**sed about Hicks dying since I was like 8.
Intangible Skeleton
Dedicated Viewer

Rip your flesh.

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2008, 07:20:18 PM »

Alien 3 has a charm to me, and even though it can be called bad (I call it bold choices), the real stinker of the Aliens franchise is Ressurection. AR is an absolute abomination - there is not a single good scene, where as Alien 3 has quite a few.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2008, 09:50:46 PM »

Alien 3 has a charm to me, and even though it can be called bad (I call it bold choices), the real stinker of the Aliens franchise is Ressurection. AR is an absolute abomination - there is not a single good scene, where as Alien 3 has quite a few.

Funny, I kind of thought Resurrection had some good characters and good scenes, although I agree it was the crappiest overall.

Alien 3, I agree, had a number of faults, but was an entertaining movie overall.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Scoldog
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2008, 06:38:26 AM »

You know the crazy thing?  Since 3, the quality of the Alien franchise of films has steadily gone down, and yet they still keep churning them out.  I mean, WTF are they planning for AvP3 (Yes, they are actually making it). 

AvP2 has got to be a fairly rare movie, in the sense there was no point making or releasing it, and also the fact that it actually sucks much worse than AvP (That's got to be hard to do, even deliberately). God knows what the film studio who made it was on. How many people from that company not only believed it was OK, but that it could actually be released the way it was?
Panic_Attack
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2008, 01:37:13 PM »

A SKULL? Seriously?

I like Alien 3 quite a bit.

The reviewer doesn't seem to even know what he's talking about. First off, it's not Bishop II, it's a human, and second, the alien died from thermal shock, not just a sprinkler.

And...other garbage like that all over.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 01:39:27 PM by Panic_Attack » Logged
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2008, 09:55:11 AM »

AvP2 has got to be a fairly rare movie, in the sense there was no point making or releasing it, and also the fact that it actually sucks much worse than AvP (That's got to be hard to do, even deliberately). God knows what the film studio who made it was on. How many people from that company not only believed it was OK, but that it could actually be released the way it was?

Alien 3 is a veritable masterpiece compared to the AvP movies.

I rented AvP2 a while ago, just to check it out. I was amazed. I expected it to be bad, but how can a movie with Aliens and a Predator loose in a small town actually manage to be so utterly boring for most of its length? I didn't much care for AvP, but it at least held my attention. Didn't help that much of AvP2 was so dark I couldn't tell what was going on.

The story seemed like it was just pulled out of somebody's butt. When things actually started to happen, the characters, including the highly-advanced Predator, were dumb as rocks and did things that made absolutely no sense. Nobody in the entire movie even entertained the thought that the Predator might be a potential ally, nor did the very intelligent Predator seem to consider that. Pretty obvious they both had the same enemy, but they kept blasting away at each other at every encounter, in spite of the circumstances.

And perhaps the worst thing about AvP2 was that once the action started, it seemed to make up for its initial slowness by going too far in places. For example, Aliens in the maternity ward were something I didn't need to see.

About the only thing I liked was the nuking at the end. It looked cool and it made sense. A shame they had to follow it up with the captured alien technology cliche, or the movie might have at least ended on a good note.

They might not measure up to the first two, but I'll take Alien3 or Alien Resurrection over the steaming crap that has come out since.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 09:25:12 AM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
J.D.
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2008, 02:48:05 AM »

I hated Alien 3 when I saw it the first time and I swear it ruined my year.   Wink 
I don't think Weaver wanted to do anymore, which is fine. But the fans wanted more. The torch should have been passed to Newt like another poster suggested and Cpl. Hicks be her mentor. Maybe even making her a Colonial Marine! I think creators of Alien 4 got the ugliest cast they could find (and the worst except for Wincot) for some strange artistic reason. Everything about Alien 3 and 4 IMO just sucks. Now everyone for at least a decade wanted to see an Alien vs Predator movie. But that presented some problems. In all logic it would have to be in the future, but if it's in the future around the era of Aliens then humanity has taken to the Stars. They would have run into these "Predators" at some point in inter-galatic travels. Seeing as how they seem to spend almost all the waking hours hunting. The AvP concept of them coming to earth hunting for Aliens in rites of passage is stupid.
The big fear in the movie was the Aliens getting to Earth. Or Terra as I like to say. But wait! Now they're already on Earth? Opps scratch that. Why hunt something as dangerous as an Alien for a rite of passage then settle for hunting humans? The cast of AvP sucked worse than Alien 4! It was so Politically Correct it made me want to retch! Though I'm glad Lance Hendricksen was in Alien 3. In all the efforts to salvage something from the fallout of Alien 3 they only made it worse each movie.
The adoption of that woman by the Predator was such a corny idea I could not believe what I was watching! I don't even bother watching the rest. I just stick to the first and second movies.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2008, 07:35:02 AM »

AvP was like a Sci-Fi original.  They must have spent the first half hour of the movie talking about how enormously important it was to get this woman to lead them "across the ice", then as it turned out it didn't make a damned bit of difference - they just got in some trucks and it was a two minute drive.  And she's talking about how nobody needs guns in the Antarctic - yeah.  The label on the DVD box said "Alien vs. Predator" and now I've gotta listen to somebody talk about how they won't be needing guns.  And then everything was ripped off from some other movie.  The alien queen chasing them at the end looked exactly like the T Rex from Jurassic Park chasing the SUV, the pyramid thing moved around like Cube, the AvP fights looked like Robocop vs. Robocop 2, and we got so much Slo-mo cam crap that Ewe Boll would have been proud.  And what was with the predator using X-ray vision to see that Bishop was dying?  Like, huh?  And it was stupid  - after the predator takes some alien acid blood and etches something on its helmet, we then have to be told that this is some right of passage.  Oh gee, thanks, my IQ is borderline retarded, and I couldn't figure out what was going on.

Oddly enough I haven't bothered watching the second one.  TeddyR

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
TheSam
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2008, 12:54:56 PM »

What the hell? Whoever wrote this review should get a smacking. It's just hate and hate and hate piled on with a bunch of nitpicks.

Man, this brings me back to the Firefly reviews on Sadhoo, or that Call of Cthulhu on that one site. Anyway. I found this review as bad as its score, far to spiteful and hating to actually be entertaining, and also... well incorrect. Ok, granted the scoring is subjective, and Alien 3 might not be the next coming, but it sure as hell don't deserve a skull. I liked it. It was the first Alien movie I saw, and it was entertaining. And scary. And well made. Again, perhaps not the flawless perfection of some fanboy's wet dream, or simply not what he expected out of it, but. Well made.

Ps, being able to respond without having to register? *loveloveloveloveonwhoevercameupwiththis*
TheSam
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2008, 12:59:15 PM »

PPS AvP is awesome. If you get a couple of friends over and maybe something to eat and then proceed to MST3K the crap outta it. The keyword here is not SciFi/Horror But Classical Romantic Comedy.  Thumbup
Dogsledder
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2008, 10:44:55 PM »

If you think this was crap, wait for Alien Resurection. This excrutiating crap beggers belief. How was it funded ? And why give the 'fund finding' secret to whoever made Starship Troopers 3?
Floyd
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2008, 12:49:45 AM »

The review is entertaining in the badmovies.org style, but so wrong. Alien 3 was terrific. Yes, I know it seems unlikely that the Queen Alien had time to leave an egg on the ship, but that didn't wreck the movie for me the way it did for you. For me, Aliens was an old style war movie only with Aliens instead of Nazis up against the cliched assembly cast of wimpy officer who finds his guts under pressure, macho dork who goes to pieces, plucky kid who just can't be killed by aliens and so on (maybe not all of those elements were found in old style war movies, but you know what I mean). 
  After the disapointment of Aliens, I loved Alien 3 - so depressing, so British (who do depressing and squalor very well)

cheers,

Floyd
J.D.
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2008, 02:52:40 AM »

Yeah just the usual lies of the Left. The Leopard Seal is notorious for attacking people. Only one recorded death. But they have been known to stalk and hunt people. Breaking through the ice to snap at feet and attacking divers. Also the Killer Whale gets it name for a reason. It has been known to attack people.

Reply #22. Posted on August 23, 2008, 08:35:02 AM by Jack
AvP was like a Sci-Fi original.  They must have spent the first half hour of the movie talking about how enormously important it was to get this woman to lead them "across the ice", then as it turned out it didn't make a damned bit of difference - they just got in some trucks and it was a two minute drive.  And she's talking about how nobody needs guns in the Antarctic - yeah. 
frankenbelial
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2008, 03:40:25 PM »

Dude at the top where it gives the title and rating of the film it says it's rated PG-13. This is incorrect it is rated R. Not that it matters because this movie sucks balls. Good job on the review. I laughed my ass off. I remember seeing this when it first came out and I feel asleep during it. I watched it again and realized I had missed nothing, although I do like the special fx in it.
J.D.
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2008, 04:27:26 AM »

Great point dude!     Thumbup   You could make a new song to it with the music from: Monkey vs Robot!  AlIEEEEEeeen VErsUs PredATOR!     TeddyR   

PPS AvP is awesome. If you get a couple of friends over and maybe something to eat and then proceed to MST3K the crap outta it. The keyword here is not SciFi/Horror But Classical Romantic Comedy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Alien 3 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.