Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:03:31 AM
713382 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Alien 3 « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Alien 3  (Read 65051 times)
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2008, 01:45:27 PM »

While I will admit that Alien 3 is weaker compared to Alien and Aliens it's still not that bad of a film.  I will agree with Torgo that the Assembly Cut (Which is what the Director's cut in a way is called) is better than the original as some scenes were removed or changed.  I won't say what they are to give the changes away but it is better in a way.  It's been a while since I have seen the original Alien 3 so I may have to watch it here in a few weeks to remember all the changes and what I may have forgotten.
LadyLLawliet
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2008, 06:01:21 AM »

The problems with Alien 3 IS due to production problems and multiple script re-writes--not totally the fault of the director--and like someone suggested, if you go and read the wikipedia article you can see this. Actually, when I found out that there was another, longer version of this movie I really wanted to watch it, and I plan on buying the Alien Quadrilogy just for Alien 3. I love Aliens and it's one of my favorite movies (I really liked Hicks, too), but I agree with what someone said in that it's good if you look at it as though it were a standalone film.

And that idea of Newt facing aliens on the Earth would be so awesome...they should do that.  Smile
droidguy1119
New Visitor

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2009, 07:40:38 PM »

I think this movie is remarkably underrated. One of the best of the series. Not following the happy ending set up by Aliens and going in such a stark new direction was ballsy. However, the DVD in the Alien Quadrilogy set has a version of the movie that is closer to what David Fincher was intending when he made it. The DVD also has the theatrical version, but I have never watched it. The workprint version may be much better than the theatrical, I don't know, but I think Alien 3 gets a lot of flak it doesn't deserve.
na
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2009, 05:22:26 PM »

This review is so obviously biased, so wrong in everything  it is ridiculous.

Alien 3
is a great film, which *could have* been better certainly, but is really already very good. This is the only one in the whole series that can be compared to the original Alien movie.
It is the real sequel to Alien actually. Aliens (number 2) is just not up to par, although it is from J. Cameron. He just didn't get the idea and make an action movie, when Alien's purpose was far beyond that. With Alien 3, we return to the original idea, but reworked in a very clever way. It explores the religious ideas behind the first movie.

In Alien,  we 'discovered' that the monsters weren't these unexplained and wild creatures but human beings, ready to sacrifice other human beings to their greedy projects - the so-called 'company'. Placing this sequel in a custody takes the idea a bit higher : what is worth living for ? dying for ? Ripley replaces that false religion of the prisoners (since they do not really believe in it themselves) by a new idea. Mankind, meaning the sepcies  is more important than individual interest. She teaches them sacrifice. This is quite obvious in the final scene when she jumps and opens up her arms in a very symbolic gesture. But there are many hints of this all along the movie.

Goldenthal's music was also a really good part of this film. It just hints from time to time to the original musical score, but it is mainly a very new, very original creation, with great strange sounds that fit really well the plot (and the place).

As for your criticism of the storyline, well, what's the point of watching a sci-fi movie if you're not ready to accept unnatural things? That's the deal, even in Ridley Scott's masterpiece. Take it or leave it. You leave it, okay. That doesn't mean the movie isn't good!. It is your peronal point of view, your personal taste, nothing more.

There *are* flaws in this movie, like in many good films. But it is visually stunnig, very cleverly shot. it IS a good movie.
AlienFan1979
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2009, 01:56:56 PM »

Well I rather enjoyed Alien3 not a bad film as it turned out. Okay so it had re-writes re-shots every film has its problems ion dealing with the final look?

Saw Alien3 at UCI Tower Park Poole UK, presented in Dolby stereo SR on its theatrical release 1992.

One thing about the story is Ripley is screwed! If she had made it out of prison alive she’d be screwed by the company as psychotic mental person?

With very little evidence to hold water as the final bodies where cremated the planet or part of it atomized leaving very little evidence of an alien creature.

She would be buried by the company as crack pot!         

Which also leaves very little evidence at the end of the film except for a small blood sample that we all, know was birth to her resurrection in Alien Resurrection but its not all Ripley only half.

Still I’d rate Alien3
8/10
Alien Resurrection
7/10
Aliens
10/10
Alien
10/10
toddword
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2011, 01:37:08 AM »

Lookingup I am constantly amazed at how...passionate people become when discussing a film. Why insult each other? Isn't film a communal art form? Geeeee...........
Anyway,this debate must have begun before the "assembly cut"( or whatever it's called these days) was made public. First of all,in Fincher's version of the film(which the studio butchered),
the alien was birthed from an ox,so it makes much more sense that it was as large as it was so immediately. Second, it made more fiscal sense to keep the convicts there,away from home,keeping the Company's interests on the cheap(much like a sweat shop in a 3rd world country,perhaps?). Third, Golic really threw a wrench in the mix when he insisted(as an insane dolt might possibly)on getting a look at the trapped alien. They all might have made a go of it if he hadn't let the damned thing out.
     Fans of the first two always seem incensed that Newt and Hicks were taken out. Remember,however,that this series is reknowned for portraying the future as a grimy,dirty place,NOT the
sanitized world of,say,"2001". Death is a real possibility EVERY DAY, no matter how much we love someone. Ripley has to deal with death and loss continually in the first two films-why should this one be different? Dorothy from "OZ" she is not,coming home to a happy ending. Look at it as a realist tract,as opposed to the stupid comic book that was "Resurrection", and you might see the film with different eyes.......
monster93
New Visitor

« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2011, 05:50:23 PM »

In my opinion this movie wasn't bad BounceGiggle I like it. The beginning with the fanfare was amazing and also the ending was different to many films. For me is very original.  hot If you don't enjoy it is because you don't have an open mind LOL
DinoGeekProductions
New Visitor

« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2012, 12:30:19 AM »

"Molten lead cannot kill an Alien, only p**s it off. Cold water, on the other hand, is devastating."  Forgive me now if this has already been addressed, but this is somewhat justified.  Remember that the Alien is biomechanical in nature, meaning that the molten led would've heated its carapace. The sudden application fo water, and therefore the rapid cooling of its carapace, is what allegedly caused it to explode.

Still a pretty bad movie, though.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Alien 3 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.