Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:14:52 AM
713326 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What B movie started it all for you? « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: What B movie started it all for you?  (Read 20390 times)
hellbilly
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2008, 01:23:55 PM »

I guess Black Samurai (1977) started it all for me. The unintentional humor mixed with crappy violence-fu and bad acting left me hungry for more.

Scott123
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2008, 02:08:00 AM »

It was actually the first B-movie that I ever saw, an obscure one but, The Creeps!  A mix of absurd plot, midgets, and a guy in a hat making jokes the whole way through just got me.
I would love to see that .. in fact I did an imdb.com search and there was no exact match. Do you have more info?
Sister Grace
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I found my mind in a brown paper bag...

« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2008, 05:42:08 AM »

It would be hard to pin it down on just one movie. My dad and my brother had a lot to do with my influencing of tastes when i was young. I have very fond memories of watching Empire of the Ants with my dad at a young age along with flash gordon, dr who and Transyvania 6500.
When my brother was a little older and finally entrusted to watch ourselves (he's almost eight years older than me) he turned me on to a variety of bad and good movies such as Trick or Treat, Slumber Party Massacre, Cronenberg's Rabid, and Psychomania. I think a true turning point is when we sat down on night when I was about eight years old and watched Andy Warhol's Dracula.

Some of the best times of my life has been revolving around sharing films with either my dad or my brother. I can remember standing out front of the theatre waiting for our parents to pick us up and clint whispering in my ear "Remember, we saw the disney movie."

Its a shame that we grow older and life happens.

Society, exactly as it now exists is the ultimate expression of sadomasochism in action.<br />-boyd rice-<br />On the screen, there\\\'s a death and the rustle of cloth; and a sickly voice calling me handsome...<br />-Nick Cave-
Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2008, 04:17:04 PM »

It was actually the first B-movie that I ever saw, an obscure one but, The Creeps!  A mix of absurd plot, midgets, and a guy in a hat making jokes the whole way through just got me.

I would love to see that .. in fact I did an imdb.com search and there was no exact match. Do you have more info?

The Creeps

It's about this guy who tries to rule the world by creating all the Universal monsters from their original literary basis (even though I believe The Wolf Man wasn't a book).  Any way, the procedure goes wrong and the monsters are all midgits.  They need this one woman to become normal sized so she's running away from them the whole time.  For the record, the guy in the hat was the host of a local T.V. show that shows bad movies (kind of like Mystery Science Theater).

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2008, 04:23:38 PM »

also have to give a shout out to the live action Spider man on "the electric company".  I wasn't that in to sesame street or any of those shows and electric co wasn't much better, but when they had spiderman it was on, son!
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2008, 06:22:38 PM »

I recall watching tons of b-movies with my grandfather as a child.  One day I remember watching both Food Of The Gods and Empire Of The Ants with him.  I was about five or so at the time, and was enthralled.  He died when I was about 10, so  I didn't get to share my love of the films with him for long.

The film that truly got me into b-movies was Evil Dead.  It was a revelation.  I never had seen something just so violent, unique and strange.  After that, I was hooked.  I was 15 at the time.  A local video store had a deal where you could rent 7 older VHS tapes for seven days for seven dollars.  I went through the horror section, which took up nearly a fourth of the huge store, and dove right in. 

I found some truly amazing films that way.  I learned that just because a film has no budget, is badly acted and all around a b-film, it can still hold more imagination and entertainment than a big budget film.  I still to this day love bad films, horror in particular. 

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2008, 09:07:13 PM »

I was hooked on "B" movies the first time I was allowed to walk to the Tumbleweed Theater, I was 6 years old and my dad decided that since I walked the mile or so to kindergarten by myself I could be trusted to walk the mile to the show. He did have one proviso, I had to get the money all by myself too.
I collected soda bottles during the week, they had a 3 cent deposit on them, only needed 12 to go to the Saturday matinee. 15 cents admission, 10 cents for a soda (only had 1 size), 5 cents for candy bars, and 5 cents for popcorn, saved the extra pennies in a jar. This sum of money entitled me to see 2 movies, usually horror/ sci-fi but also the occasional western, a short or serial,  2 to 4 cartoons, and previews of the next Saturday matinee. I believe the movies I saw that first time were "Earth vs the Spider" and "The Beginning of the End" but I wouldn't swear to it. These films struck a chord with me, no matter how ineptly filmed or how silly the idea, being chased by some slobbering monstrosity from beyond always made my problems seem pretty small.
I shared this with my daughter when she was the same age, when the wife worked late we would walk to the video store and rent cheesy monster movies. On the way home we'd stop at the market and pick up sodas and sandwiches, come home and watch the movies sitting on the floor in the dark. Watching those movies with Kari are times I will always remember. In a way it could be said "B" movies helped me be a better father, kind of nice in a strange sort of way.   

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
ToyMan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2008, 09:18:38 PM »

i've been aware of horror movies and exploitation cinema as far back as i can remember. literally, my earliest memory is watching bits of the twilight zone movie at a drive in from the back of a station wagon.

however, the b-movie that really started my fixation was hellraiser, which i saw on home video when i was 8 or 9.

JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2008, 11:02:13 PM »

Aside from what I already mentioned, at a local youth club we were actually showed Bruce Lee films via a film projector when I was very young, probably not too long after watching THE BLACK HOLE. I absolutely loved them and adore Kung Fu films, good and bad, to this day. Also have to give a tip of the hat to "The Incredible Hulk" and the Nicholas Hammond "Spider-Man" series too.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
AllisonSNLKid
Dedicated Viewer

Your Saturday Night Live Guru since 1996!

« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2008, 11:06:02 PM »

My local New York/Philadelphia stations always showed the Creme de la Creme of bad movies when I was growing up - especially WPVI, ABC's station in Philadelphia, PA, which showed the Six Million Dollar Movie (Still does - I stayed up on Sunday nights during my temporary work layoff this past winter watching these awful movies).  The movies looked to cost around six dollars, and were usually really bad dramas. - I don't even remember what the movies were, but I do remember one that claimed it was a true story, but apparently it was some fictional Canadian film starring Ally Sheedy as a screechy, hysterical mommy.  I saw it last winter.

I think the New York ABC station, WABC, had an equivalent programming block late on Saturday night (usually after 1 am), though until 2006, I was watching "ER Theater" on Saturday nights after "SNL" was over on NBC, while filling the gap between a current SNL ep and a classic ep, which usually started on WCAU (NBC's Philadelphia station) at 2:00 or 2:30 am (this time changes frequently between 1998 and 2006).

Getting stations out of both Philly and NY meant plenty of ops to watch bad movies late at night.

It's like people only do things because they get paid.  And that's just really sad.
diamondwaspvenom

« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2009, 03:04:19 PM »

It would definitely be Reptilicus. Back when I was a kid, that movie used to scare the living crap outta me. I would've never thought that it would become the start of an eventual long term love of horrible movies.
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2009, 03:42:35 PM »

Probably Rodan.  I nearly peed myself laughing at the ridiculously dated FX and goofs.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
SPazzo

My kinda toy...

« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2009, 04:00:14 PM »

It was THEM.  THEM started it for me. TeddyR

After I saw THEM, I watched the Tim Burton film Ed Wood, which, in turn, made me go and watch Plan 9.  After that, I just loved B-Movies.  Also, MST3K helped.
Javakoala
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2009, 04:36:51 PM »

Growing up, I watched horror movies with my brother who was ten years older than me. They scared the hell out of me but I wanted to watch them because he liked them. They were awful, but they had monsters and stuff and they scared me. I never really understood why my brother laughed at these films.

I think the movie that made the ultimate connection for me was "Night Of The Lepus". It was so ridiculous, giant killer bunnies. I just kept laughing and laughing and laughing at what, if it had been a bug-eyed monster, would have normally scared me witless. I couldn't wrap my brain around it. Who in their right mind thought bunnies were scary, even if they were the size of trucks?

I haven't stopped laughing since, but I'm still looking for the movie that scares me so bad that I swear off of horror movies for life.  Never gonna happen, I don't think. Or, on the flipside, a gore film so disgusting it makes me puke. Haven't found one yet.

Although I have found films that made me feel sad to be a human being, but...oh well.
Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2009, 05:51:57 PM »

Teenagers from outer space, it came with the game destroy all humans and you unlocked it after you beat the game, and now my film viewing life has never been the same.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What B movie started it all for you? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.