Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:58:40 PM
713365 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Blow-back from Bear Baiting « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Blow-back from Bear Baiting  (Read 2864 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« on: August 15, 2008, 12:51:47 PM »

you mess with the bull you get the horns .   if you manage to p**s off a country of a zillion people filled to the brim with oil money and pent up nationalism you get much the same link

Blowback From Bear-Baiting

by Patrick J. Buchanan
Mikheil Saakashvili's decision to use the opening of the Olympic Games to cover Georgia's invasion of its breakaway province of South Ossetia must rank in stupidity with Gamal Abdel-Nasser's decision to close the Straits of Tiran to Israeli ships.

Nasser's blunder cost him the Sinai in the Six-Day War. Saakashvili's blunder probably means permanent loss of South Ossetia and Abkhazia.

After shelling and attacking what he claims is his own country, killing scores of his own Ossetian citizens and sending tens of thousands fleeing into Russia, Saakashvili's army was whipped back into Georgia in 48 hours.

Vladimir Putin took the opportunity to kick the Georgian army out of Abkhazia, as well, to bomb Tbilisi, and to seize Gori, birthplace of Stalin.

Reveling in his status as an intimate of George Bush, Dick Cheney, and John McCain, and America's lone democratic ally in the Caucasus, Saakashvili thought he could get away with a lightning coup and present the world with a fait accompli.

Mikheil did not reckon on the rage or resolve of the Bear.

American charges of Russian aggression ring hollow. Georgia started this fight – Russia finished it. People who start wars don't get to decide how and when they end.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 12:53:47 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 02:29:19 PM »

No doubt in my mind that Saakashvili made a terrible miscalculation and strategic blunder.  Buchanan's sympathies constantly amaze me, though.  He appears to be against US involvement in WWII.  Ossetian's may be ethnically Russian, but Russia agreed to the current borders; it's not like they were taken away from them by conquest.  Buchanan seems not to care whether Russia rebuilds its empire; but then, he wouldn't have been concerned about Germany annexing Austria, either.  None of our affair, and besides, we're being hypocrites, after what we did in the Spanish-American war.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Dave M
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 10:03:46 PM »

How the hell do you "invade" your own province? If the National Guard is ever called in to deal with rioting in New Orleans, I suppose that means we're "starting" something with France. Buchanan is a throwback to the days before nation-states, he can only think in ethnic terms.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 01:09:19 AM »

Patrick Buchanan used to make sense about some things.  But more and more, he has just become another fringe isolationist whiner.  It's a shame, by all accounts he is a pretty nice guy in person.  But his political and diplomatic perspective is mired in the 1930's.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 08:41:21 AM »

I think  this is more about

1.putins ego vs saakashvilli's ego

2. one nationalism vs  another nationalism

than any resurrected USSR vs "the west".

I don't know why saakashvilli thought that befriending george bush, one of the worlds least popular figures, would help him in any way.  tying yourself to that anchor is...like tying yourself to an anchor!!

also, looks like the georgian opposition is getting it's groove on.

having your opponents locked up for treason can come back to haunt you
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 08:47:52 AM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 12:22:20 PM »

Buchanan is no longer a liberal or a conservative.  He's built his own personal political philosophy from the ground up, with dogmatic isolationism as its centerpiece.

Here's what I think is more balanced article on the complexities of the situation by Michael Dobbs.  The problem I have with this kind of backward-looking analysis, though, is it doesn't say much about how we should proceed in the immediate future.  For example, it's true that the US shamefully supported and armed Saddam Hussein in the 1980s; does that mean we couldn't take action when he invaded Kuwait becasue we would be hypocrites?

Lester:  It is about one nationalism vs. another nationalism.  But Russian nationalism extends accross the entire region.  Ukraine, Poland, and Russia's other neighbors don't seem to view this as just an isolated Georgian-Russian conflict, but as a very worrisome indicator of "the Bear's" willingness to send tanks across other nation's borders when it doesn't like what's going on inside them. 

(Of course, it's true that the US does the same thing on occasion--but that doesn't mean we shouldn't oppose others when they do it.  Better to be a hypocrite than a fool.)

And lets hope Putin's lcoking up his political enemies coes back to haunt him, but I don't think it will.  He locks them up tight---sometimes in a crypt.

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 02:49:57 PM »

so not being an isolationist means you ALWAYS have to favor intervention?

so any war is justified?

i mean, were people who were against vietnam isolationists?  because i think on ti's merits you could argue it was a bad idea without getting into any sort of philosphy relating to OTHER conflicts.

"For example, it's true that the US shamefully supported and armed Saddam Hussein in the 1980s; does that mean we couldn't take action when he invaded Kuwait becasue we would be hypocrites?"

I think we shouldn't have supported him and we also should not have stopped him from invading kuwait.  look at the can of worms that opened up.  we are still in iraq trying to "finish it" today!!  at the cost of trillions and thousands dead.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 05:18:21 PM »

Nope, Lester, I think every geopolitical question is different and you can't have a one size fits all approach, neither to intervene every time or to refuse to ever intervene on principle.

We know the can of worms we have today after Kuwait, but we don't know the can of worms we would have if Saddam had kept Kuwait.  My suspicion is things would be much worse. 

If history has taught us anything, I think it's taught us that stomping on expansionist fascists and autocrats early in the game can save you a lot of headaches down the road, whereas appeasing them never makes them go away--it just delays the point at which they cause you trouble. 

But obviously we don't have the resources to take out every world despot, nor should we.  Picking your battles is the tough decision.  Isolationism is tempting because it lets us avoid making those decisions, and if followed we'd avoid some major boondoggles.  But I'd rather that we (and here I mean the international community, not just the US)  accept that we'll make the occasional mistake than let the world's evilest men know that their guns and tanks will be met only with stern words and disapproving looks. 

I'm against the Vietnam War and for WWII, but I have the benefit of hindsight. 

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Blow-back from Bear Baiting « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.