Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:08:28 AM
714308 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  MOVIES based on TV SHOWS? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MOVIES based on TV SHOWS?  (Read 4512 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« on: August 20, 2008, 07:13:54 PM »

Last night Chiller channel was showing HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS (1970) a film based upon the great old daytime TV program "Dark Shadows."  I love that movie, and it certainly moves along quickly...

What films based upon TV shows do you like?  Or, there are so many duds, which films based upon TV shows do you dislike?

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 08:53:16 PM »

Tv Show based movies I liked:
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles- Not sure if this counts, as most of the source material comes from the comic, but I went in as a fan of the tv show.
Brady Bunch Movie- granted, a parody, but it was well done.
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie- A self contained story with no Japanese footage (kinda ruined it, but a good idea in the end), a reasonably decent plot (for a kids movie), and some good action.
Tales from the Crypt Presents: Bordello of Blood/Demon Knight- Two separate movies based off of Tales.
The Addams Family- Raul Julia as Gomez, Christopher Lloyd as Fester and Anjelica Huston as Morticia is great casting in my book, plus the script was great.

Didn't like:
Scooby-Doo- Good idea in theory, and enjoyed some of the jokes, but overall it could've been better.
The Ringmaster- I think it's based off of Jerry Springer's book, but it looks like they just tried to adapt the tv show for the big screen.  Didn't work.
Bewitched- Not a Nicole Kidman fan to begin with. 
SNL Movies- Granted, I laugh at some of them, but for the most part, none should even have been made, for example: Superstar, It's Pat, Stuart Saves His Family.  A few others as well. 

One could also maybe discuss Tv Shows based on Movies, and which they liked better, the movie or the tv version.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 09:09:10 PM by HappyGilmore » Logged

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 09:16:35 PM »

I LOVED the HOUSE of DARK SHADOWS....and I may be the only person on Earth who enjoyed the follow up-NIGHT of DARK SHADOWS (1971)...

Small | Large

I also love the first BATMAN movie (the 60's one with Adam West!) ,MUNSTER GO HOME, but don't care for most of the recent big budget make-over stuff. The LOST in SPACE movie almost made me ill...sacrilige!!!!  hot

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 09:22:34 PM »

I LOVED the HOUSE of DARK SHADOWS....and I may be the only person on Earth who enjoyed the follow up-NIGHT of DARK SHADOWS (1971)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqvArjpFLS8

I also love the first BATMAN movie (the 60's one with Adam West!) ,MUNSTER GO HOME, but don't care for most of the recent big budget make-over stuff. The LOST in SPACE movie almost made me ill...sacrilige!!!!  hot

Munster Go Home was a great one.  I was a big Munsters fan.  Still am.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 09:41:56 PM »

Munsterite? Munstriod? Munsterian? What do we call our selves?
...Never the less...I love the car!!!!   And it's one of yhe BEST brainless Saterday afternoon FUN movies ever!

Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 09:42:05 PM »

House of Dark Shadows was excellent - I'm a huge Dark Shadows fan and seeing it with a much larger budget was sweet.  Haven't seen Night of Dark Shadows yet, but hopefully it'll make it to DVD soon.

Babylon 5 had several movies, I really like Thirdspace, and In The Beginning.  Call to Arms was pretty good too.

Star Trek The Motion Picture and Wrath of Khan were good.

Serenity, the Firefly movie was very good.

The first Batman movie was good.

Ones that sucked:
Dukes of Hazzard
The Flintstones.  Oh god, somebody just kill me please...
Those Mission Impossible movies.  

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Ozzymandias
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 11:03:39 PM »

Ozzymandias speaks: I think we should try to distinguish between the kind of TV show films.

1. Big budget remakes featuring different actors (i.e: Mission:Impossible, Get Smart, Lost in Space, Wild Wild West).
2. Movies made featuring the same cast, usually to cash in on the characters popularity (i.e: Batman, Munsters Go Home, House/Night of Dark Shadows, the Lone Ranger & the City of Gold, the Monkees' Head, the Star Trek movies & the SNL stuff)
3. Movies compiled from two part episodes or random episodes to either sell the show overseas (ie. Ron Ely in Tarzan, Danial Boone, Man from U.N.C.L.E, the Virginian) or to cash in on the death or sudden popularity of a star or both (i.e: Green Hornet)

Ozzymandias has spoken!!! 
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 03:26:30 AM by Ozzymandias » Logged
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 11:24:03 PM »

I LOVED the HOUSE of DARK SHADOWS....and I may be the only person on Earth who enjoyed the follow up-NIGHT of DARK SHADOWS (1971)...I also love the first BATMAN movie (the 60's one with Adam West!) ,MUNSTER GO HOME, but don't care for most of the recent big budget make-over stuff. The LOST in SPACE movie almost made me ill...sacrilige!!!!  hot
I like NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS... and MUNSTER GO HOME!  The LOST IN SPACE movie made me ill too.  Hated it. 
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 11:27:21 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 06:08:05 AM »

MIAMI VICE - My all time favourite TV show was made into a movie 20 years too late and re-hashed & butchered, with all it's style and colour sucked out!  I hate colin farrell too, still can't get over the fact that they picked him to be Crockett! Hatred

You can't beat the series. No sir.

Small | Large

*Drools* at the greatness.  TeddyR

Underbelly
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 08:48:35 AM »

Although I liked House of the Long Shadows, I really am sick and tired of the lack of creativity of the Hollywood system that they keep recycling old idea. Sometimes these movies take of the shows name only, just to capitalize on the name. One such instance in the incredibly horrible "Mission Impossible" series. These movies had nothing to do with the TV show, or the idea of the TV show, and in fact was nothing more that a Tom Cruise ego trip.

peter johnson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 01:20:13 PM »

I have the 2 Raul Julia Addams Family movies on VHS tape, and watch them at least twice a year -- To my mind, these were an improvement on the TV show & I wish they had made at least 2 more sequels.

I love Colin Farrel, but didn't get the Miami Vice movie either.  I actually enjoyed the Wild Wild West movie, but accepted it as a thing-in-itself & didn't get upset that it had very little to do with the TV show.

I have avoided the Avengers movie, despite loving all the stars in it, as I've heard terrible things, and my adoration of the TV series must remain intact . . .

I understand there was a big-screen Danger Man/Secret Agent Patrick McGoohan movie, but that it never showed in the US -- this I'd like to see.  I think they could've done a big-screen Prisoner, and still wish they would.  I liked the first big-screen X-Files movie -- haven't seen the new one.

peter johnson/denny recycled

I have no idea what this means.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 08:33:01 PM »

Munsterite? Munstriod? Munsterian? What do we call our selves?
...Never the less...I love the car!!!!   And it's one of yhe BEST brainless Saterday afternoon FUN movies ever!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf2v5uvt-Hk

Which car did you like? The Munster Koach, or this one:

"Dragula"
Rob Zombie liked the Dragula enough to name a song after it. Wink
Small | Large

Ozzymandias
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 03:42:21 AM »

I understand there was a big-screen Danger Man/Secret Agent Patrick McGoohan movie, but that it never showed in the US -- this I'd like to see. 
peter johnson/denny recycled
Ozzymandias speaks: Actually, it that film has aired on late night TV over here. It is called Koroshihttp://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060605/. There were also some Saint films (The Fiction Makers and Vendetta for the Saint) as well as a Champions movie that turns up on TV over here. I guess it is the opposite of what American companies did with Man From UNCLE and Danial Boone.

Ozzymandias has spoken!!!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  MOVIES based on TV SHOWS? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.