Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:46:04 PM
713370 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Most Overrated and Most Underrated Movies « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: The Most Overrated and Most Underrated Movies  (Read 50396 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2008, 03:54:30 PM »

I wonder how Rose's husband, who she apparently was married to for many happy years and raised a familly with, felt when she died and went to heaven rather than see him again she wanted to be with some girly himbo she knew for a couple of weeks!
Try 4 days... Oh!  And "Hmmm... Picasso somebody's..." painting Les Demoiselles d'Avignon did not sink with the Titanic...  Lookingup
image deleted
(Okay, okay, my sister the painter advised me that PICASSO created many studies before the finished canvas...) 
I still think that scene near the beginning is dumb. 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 04:50:52 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Tim
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2008, 09:00:52 PM »

I will keep the movies I compare to be very similar in nature and in every case they seem to come out about the same time.  In each case the better movie was swept under the carpet because the studios pushed the overrated movie with a higher advertising budget.  If you have not seen any of these underrated movies... do yourself a big phat favor and watch it ASAP.

Overrated: Armageddon
Underrated: Deep Impact

Overrated: Sixth Sense
Underrated: Stir of Echoes

Overrated: Volcano
Underrated: Dante’s Peek
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2008, 10:52:48 PM »

in that vein . . . .

OVERRATED . . . . SHAKESPEARE INLOVE

UNDERRATED . . . ELIZABETH

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Justy
Bad Movie Lover

Oh the humanity!

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2008, 11:50:25 AM »

I certainly agree on Woody Allen films, Titanic and the Matrix as overrated.

I totally disagree on Bladerunner. That movie kicked off the cyberpunk genre. Yes the genre existed in Neuromancer, but Bladerunner made it a phenomena. I truly loved that movie.

There are a number of movies which may be overrated, but they don't really pique my interest. I'd just knock them down a notch.

Overrated:
Dogma (When that movie is brought up I just want to start hitting people.)
The Blair Witch Project (Shakey cam be damned!)

Underrated:
Tron (Doesn't deserve the crap it gets.)
Bubba Ho-Tep (That is a cult classic.)

-----------------------------------------
"Hey that's great, but who're the Chefs?"
-----------------------------------------
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2008, 12:19:27 PM »

Overrated: Scream - I can't stand to watch this film at all and have never understood why it was so popular or how it is even considered a "horror" movie. All the characters are painfully irritating, it goes from one ludicrous scene to the next at about 1000mph. How in hell people say it "saved the horror genre" I do not know, it has spawned a whole host of copycat teen "horror" films with cheap scares, stupid plots, annoying teens that won't die, obvious plot twists, annoying plot twists where every single person is "the killer" and they all get stabbed and no-one really dies!" Aarrghh!  Hatred ....and breathe....

Underrated: I could list 100's, some have already been mentioned. Special mention though to, "Harley Davidson & the Marlboro Man". I have no-idea why people think it's a bad film, yeah it's not great, but it's alot of fun and really different to alot of similar "buddy" action movies.

bladerunnerblues
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2008, 07:09:09 PM »

Can not really think of underrated ones right now.
But..
Over rated:
LESS THAN ZERO:Is this the correct title?I think Edie Falco is in it..something or other about gangs.
Not only is it just absolutely full of unneccesary profanities(F**k is said what seems like every 10 seconds)but I can not think of a movie with more unlikable characters.I hated every single one of them  Hatred and was hoping that it would end with them all killing one another.
FARGO:For this Frances McDormand won an Oscar???  Lookingup
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2008, 08:02:48 PM »

Over rated:
FARGO:For this Frances McDormand won an Oscar???  Lookingup

Can't agree with you there.  McDormand played a character that hadn't been seen on the screen before, and pretty much nailed it.  I think her Oscar was well deserved.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2008, 04:39:46 PM »

Though I do think it's fun and entertaining, I also think it's Overrated: TITANIC (1997) A Romantic Action-Adventure Disaster Drama.   Lookingup
LEONARDO DiCAPRIO as "Jack" and KATE WINSLET as young "Rose" are on a 900 foot vessel that sleeps 2500 but like true American teens the only place they can find to have sex is in a car... !!! Question

At the very end, GLORIA STUART, as old Rose, is in her bunk on the ship, and beside her bed has several large ornately framed photographs of herself (young Rose) climbing into the cockpit of a plane, on a horse, a glamour shot...  Lookingup Well JIM CAMERON wanted us to know that Rose had had a good life.  She certainly took care of herself.  Of course, before snuggling up to her dreams and candid collection, Rose quite selfishly discards the blue diamond "Heart of the Ocean" that BILL PAXTON and his crew have spent years searching for, and does the deed from the very deck of her host's ship... 
Hatred  I don't care how old she is!  Punch face! BIATCH!!  BounceGiggle  Hatred
I hated this movie.  Perhaps "hated" is too weak for my feelings on it.  I felt it was a slap in the face to all the real people who died on the ship.  Basically Cameron took one of the worst disasters in history and exploited it for a mindlessly written love story that teenagers and lonely 40 something housewives ate up.

As for the "Heart Of The Ocean", perhaps Rose would have thought of her numerous kids/grandkids.  Perhaps they could have used a few extra million or so.  I was hoping her shaky old ass would fall over the railing at the end of the film.  Perhaps I was the only one who laughed when Rose kept telling Jack "I won't let go" as she let his dead body fall into the abyss. 

Then theres that f*cking awful Celine Dion song... Hatred

On a positive note, Billy Zane rocked in that movie.  I cheered for him.   Thumbup

Most Underrated:  I've said it before and I'll say it again, Josie And The p***ycats 
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 04:41:24 PM by The DarkSider » Logged

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
bladerunnerblues
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2008, 02:21:58 AM »

Overrated(but probably not by you):
PIRATES OF THE CARRIBEAN
I wanted to see T3 but we ended up seeing this instead.The pirate ghosts were kinda' cool but the rest..zzzzzzz
underrated
STUART SAVES HIS FAMILY
For once,an SNL movie with a realistic and not so happy ending.I can't stand listening to Al Franken speak about politics,but I thank him for making this movie.
D-Man
Bad Movie Lover

Only my head is tiny...

« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2008, 07:12:56 AM »

Overrated:

A Christmas Story:  I actually like this movie, but the non-stop showings on TNT killed my taste for it.

Scarface: A few exciting sequences barely make up for a very dull film, that owes its reputation to rap stars and their lemming fans. 

Underrated:

Charlie and The Chocolate Factory:  I loved the fact that Tim Burton took a more twisted take on this story.  Everyone holds up the original film as some sort of untouchable classic, when it's really just an OK early 70's pitch for a chocolate bar that lasted only a few weeks on shelves.

The Fisher King:  Terry Gilliam actually made a movie that made people who watched it feel good, and all the Brazil-loving purists out there hated him for it.  But I will always appreciate this wonderfully quirky film, which has just the right touches of darkness to it. 

BTM
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2008, 01:37:13 PM »

Overrated: Chicago.

Yeah, it had some good songs, but come on!  There's hardly ANY likable people in this movie, and I'm supposed to feel for the main character like she's a hero or something cause she was cheating on her husband and shot some guy.  Gee, wonder how well that would work had the genders been reversed. 

Personally, I would have it end like this: the husband (Mr Cellophane, as he calls himself) ends up killing his wife in a fit of jealous rage, and ends up finally getting the attention he's sought all his life.

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2008, 02:58:11 PM »

Overrated:

Scarface: A few exciting sequences barely make up for a very dull film, that owes its reputation to rap stars and their lemming fans. 

Sorry, I disagree with everybody on this one. One of the best films I have ever seen, every shot is perfection and Al Pacino gives one of the best performances of his career. It was slated when it came out because critics couldn't seen past the profanity and violence, but has not got it's reputation solely from "rappers" at all. Yes, lots of rappers cite it as an influence, but that's due to Tony Montana's determination to make a better life and his rise to power - it's a great story of triumphing in the face of adversity and that you can lose sight of youself at the hands of immense greed. I love it, I will never accpet it as overrated - Scarface is a masterpiece IMO.

Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2008, 08:41:12 AM »

The Fisher King:  Terry Gilliam actually made a movie that made people who watched it feel good, and all the Brazil-loving purists out there hated him for it.  But I will always appreciate this wonderfully quirky film, which has just the right touches of darkness to it. 

I guess I fall into the "Brazil-loving purist" category, but only barely. I didn't care for The Fisher King as much as for other Gilliam movies only because it didn't feel like a Gilliam movie except in small sections. It just felt more like Gilliam tried to make a mainstream film to gain a little commercial success. There's nothing wrong with that; it just didn't work as well for me as most of his other films. And incidentally, I'm more of a Time Bandits and The Adventures of Baron Munchausen lover than a Brazil lover. I like Brazil, but it is difficult to watch because it is extremely bitter; even Gilliam admits that. Munchausen is horrifically underrated, mostly because so few people have seen it, and it is definitely a "feel good" movie.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2008, 10:44:10 PM »

A college roommate of mine once finished reading _Ghost_ (Piers Anthony) and threw it across the room.  I saw him do it.

I wanted to throw 'Brazil' across the room, in much the same way.

I am in no way comparing the artistic integrity of the two works.  I am comparing my reaction to my roommate's reaction.

Pfagh!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2008, 12:30:06 AM »

Though I do think it's fun and entertaining, I also think it's Overrated: TITANIC (1997) A Romantic Action-Adventure Disaster Drama.   Lookingup ...At the very end, GLORIA STUART, as old Rose, is in her bunk on the ship, and beside her bed has several large ornately framed photographs of herself (young Rose) climbing into the cockpit of a plane, on a horse, a glamour shot...  Lookingup Well JIM CAMERON wanted us to know that Rose had had a good life. 
She certainly took care of herself.  ...Punch face! BIATCH!!  BounceGiggle  Hatred
I hated this movie.  Perhaps "hated" is too weak for my feelings on it.  I felt it was a slap in the face to all the real people who died on the ship.  Basically Cameron took one of the worst disasters in history and exploited it for a mindlessly written love story that teenagers and lonely 40 something housewives ate up.
As for the "Heart Of The Ocean", perhaps Rose would have thought of her numerous kids/grandkids.  Perhaps they could have used a few extra million or so.  I was hoping her shaky old ass would fall over the railing at the end of the film.  Perhaps I was the only one who laughed when Rose kept telling Jack "I won't let go" as she let his dead body fall into the abyss. 
That s**t makes me laugh...  BounceGiggle  BounceGiggle  Lookingup  That f*ckin' dumbass movme bowlee...
Then theres that f*cking awful Celine Dion song... Hatred...
I kind of like that song, it's sad and dreamy and the very ending of the film is lovely and happy/sad...  Lookingup 
Repeat: Les Demoiselles d'Avignon did not sink with the Titanic...  !!!

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Most Overrated and Most Underrated Movies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.