Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:58:48 AM
713332 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Most Overrated and Most Underrated Movies « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: The Most Overrated and Most Underrated Movies  (Read 50376 times)
schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2008, 11:30:49 AM »

Not only do I think there are a number of movies that are underrated, I think there are a number of directors out there whose entire body of work tends to be underrated. They include . . .

Ralph Bakshi
Roger Corman
Sam Fuller
Spike Lee
George Pal
Alan Parker
Ken Russell

one producer

Val Lewton

And I use to think that Martin Scorsese's body of work was underrated, but with his recognition by the Academy with an Oscar, I finally think he's getting the attention he deserves.

What do you like about Ralph Bakshi? I was in college when Fritz the Cat came out. That made Bakshi pretty popular with the college set. It's a cartoon! And it has sex in it! Wow! I never saw it then, but rented it a couple of years ago to see if I could figure out what all the fuss was about. Not much to it.

But he was making a name for himself as an innovator in animation. So people were really excited when his version of Lord of the Rings came out, which did feature an innovative technique (something involving drawing over live actors, I think, sort of like A Scanner Darkly). But that movie was a flop, even though Tolkien was ridiculously popular. I had just finished reading the trilogy, so I could sort of follow some parts of it. But it was incoherent, and just ended abruptly in the middle of the story.

I don't remember hearing anything about Bakshi after that.
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2008, 12:03:28 PM »

But he was making a name for himself as an innovator in animation. So people were really excited when his version of Lord of the Rings came out, which did feature an innovative technique (something involving drawing over live actors, I think, sort of like A Scanner Darkly). But that movie was a flop, even though Tolkien was ridiculously popular. I had just finished reading the trilogy, so I could sort of follow some parts of it. But it was incoherent, and just ended abruptly in the middle of the story.

Rotoscoping.

Wizards came out just before "Lord of the Rings" and I think its a much better film.  It mixes Bakshi's strong points, and it's probably my favorite quirky cartoon.  He also made "Fire and Ice" after "Lord of the Rings" and that is a much better fantasy attempt.

He had an opportunity to turn it all around in 1992 with "Cool World," but that film turned out just horrible.  Ugh.

On one of the DVDs I have, I think it might be "Wizards," there is a little feature about him.  He comes off as horribly self-absorbed.  "I was doing this.  I was doing that.  It was all awesome.  I was awesome." - that sort of thing.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2008, 01:10:10 PM »

I've already posted on this topic but you know maybe I should have put ET as the most overrated instead of Citizen Kane. I think ET is probably the first movie I can actually remember seeing in a theater, and even back then in my single digit days it failed to hold my attention. I saw it again on VHS in high school and again didn't think much of it. Well, just the other day I sat in on it again and once more, I didn't feel the love. It seemed by the numbers manipulative and so hokey it made me laugh for the wrong reasons. And this was once a cultural phenom that topped best of lists, achieved instant classic status, and held the top spot on highest grossing film for something like eleven years? Yep, I change my vote to ET.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2008, 09:00:14 PM »

Wizards came out just before "Lord of the Rings" and I think its a much better film.  It mixes Bakshi's strong points, and it's probably my favorite quirky cartoon.  He also made "Fire and Ice" after "Lord of the Rings" and that is a much better fantasy attempt.

He had an opportunity to turn it all around in 1992 with "Cool World," but that film turned out just horrible.  Ugh.

On one of the DVDs I have, I think it might be "Wizards," there is a little feature about him.  He comes off as horribly self-absorbed.  "I was doing this.  I was doing that.  It was all awesome.  I was awesome." - that sort of thing.

It is the Wizards DVD that features the great, the awesome, the magnificent Bakshi documentary. I enjoyed Wizards, but I have found little else to enjoy in Bakshi's work. Cool World was horrible. Lord of the Rings featured one of the most annoying songs ever written ("Frodo of the Nine Fingers"). But that documentary about how awesomely magnificent and original he is was a real piece of work.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2008, 10:21:13 PM »

Overrated:  Any film starring Adam Sandler in a comedy role. Aside from the wedding singer (which I like only for the nostalgic value) I simply don't get why he is considered "funny". 

Can I just say that UHF is easily one of the most underrated comedies of our time.  Sure, a good percentage of people understand that on this board but the general population dare frown upon it.   Fine by me, let them have their "funny" Adam Sandler comedies.   Lookingup  I'll take Weird Al any day.

That s**t makes me laugh...        That f*ckin' dumbass movme bowlee...

Quote from: The DarkSider on October 05, 2008, 05:39:46 PM
Then theres that f*cking awful Celine Dion song... ...
I kind of like that song, it's sad and dreamy and the very ending of the film is lovely and happy/sad...   
Repeat: Les Demoiselles d'Avignon did not sink with the Titanic...  !!!
Man I could tear that film apart.  Speaking of paintings, I love the brief part where Jack sees them and starts wooing over them.   He says something like, "see the color he uses in there" which I suppose shows even further the connection Rose has with him.   Lookingup  The dude is a street rat, I doubt a guy who draws naked prostitutes would care of fine art.  Then again maybe I'm wrong.  I know for sure the film sucks. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2008, 08:22:09 AM »

Overrated:  Any film starring Adam Sandler in a comedy role. Aside from the wedding singer (which I like only for the nostalgic value) I simply don't get why he is considered "funny". 

Can I just say that UHF is easily one of the most underrated comedies of our time.  Sure, a good percentage of people understand that on this board but the general population dare frown upon it.   Fine by me, let them have their "funny" Adam Sandler comedies.   Lookingup  I'll take Weird Al any day.

UHF is such an overlooked movie it's a damn shame.  It's full of wonderful jokes and sight gags.  Unfortunately, the studio felt it'd be a nice summer blockbuster, and decided to open it the same summer weekend against: Honey I Shrunk The Kids, Batman, Lethal Weapon 2, and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.  Pretty much got trampled over, didn't last long, and now when people hear of it, they don't wanna watch "A Weird Al movie."

I'm a Sandler fan though, so, I can't really agree with the other statements.  I can appreciate them, as I can understand why people wouldn't like him.  Plus, I give him some credit.  He's very loyal to his friends, going so far as to give them small roles in his movies, and even producing movies for them.  Not just his former SNL castmates, but old college buddies like Allen Covert (Grandma's Boy).  Plus, he's generally called one of the 'nicest' Hollywood guys.  He'll talk to his fans at a bar and even buy rounds, whereas most guys just say hi and walk away.  Tom Green commented on Sandler: "When I married Drew Barrymore, Sandler was at the wedding.  Of her Hollywood friends, the only one who even bothered talking to me or my 'non famous' friends was Sandler.  He even danced with my mother, who was a fan."  So, his movies might be crap, but he's a nice guy.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Underbelly
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2008, 01:42:27 PM »

First, I can't believe Godfather is one this list. Calling it “pointless” shows a total lack of understanding of the film. But everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, like the opinions I’m about to share with you.

Most overrated film? Independence Day. The worse two hours in the theater I’ve ever spent.

Underrated? Mystery Men! After reading so many reviews about how bad this film was, I actually enjoyed it very much

zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2008, 06:57:24 PM »

overrated : SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION
- can't believe I'm the first person to mention this mind-numbingly boring, bloated 'epic'. (sorry if I missed it and someone mentioned it, I didn't see it in the thread anywhere.)

underrated : A MIGHTY WIND.
- most reviews I've read say "well it's good but it's no SPINAL TAP or BEST IN SHOW". in my opinion it's way better than both of those...attention to detail, the songs, and the comedy is 10/10 first class

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2008, 07:15:07 PM »

- can't believe I'm the first person to mention this mind-numbingly boring, bloated 'epic'. (sorry if I missed it and someone mentioned it, I didn't see it in the thread anywhere.)

I agree--I didn't think it was exactly bad, but I have no idea why it's so many people's favorite movie.  I thought it was rather average, a bit sappy, and way too long.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2008, 07:59:10 PM »

I agree--I didn't think it was exactly bad, but I have no idea why it's so many people's favorite movie.  I thought it was rather average, a bit sappy, and way too long.

yeah I mean it's potentially a decent film, if it was handled differently. but the whole thing seems to be head-over-heels in love with how 'profound' it is...zzzz

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
D-Man
Bad Movie Lover

Only my head is tiny...

« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2008, 09:32:14 AM »

And how exactly would Shawshank have been handled differently to make it a "better" film?  I've always loved this film, so I have to take issue with some of the comments thrown at it.  I often assume that people who dislike this kind of film has a short attention span and can't appreciate a good drama film, but I want to try not to do that here.

Overrated: THIS IS SPINAL TAP

This one isn't terrible, but I definitely prefer "Best in Show", "Waiting for Guffman" and "A Mighty Wind" over this.  I really just didn't laugh at most of the "funny" moments, and it also got pretty dull and slow near the end. 
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2008, 09:48:03 AM »

Other overrated films:

Once upon a time in the West - Too long for it's own good.  Still a decent film to watch but way, way too long.

National Lampoons European Vacation - All of all the NL Vacations that were released not counting the Christmas Vacation 2 Direct to DVD release which I haven't seen this film is not that great.  I found it to be way too dependent on European Stereotypes.  I mean now and then it's okay to have a stereotype in there for the sake of a joke or the sake of a character, but having the whole film based on most is what bogged down this film. 

Underrated films:

Showgirls - It's a far better film that most give it out to be.  While yes it's campy and way over the top at times, that's what makes it such a great film to watch and enjoy.

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2008, 09:58:46 AM »

Underrated: So I Married An Axe Murderer- Mike Myers flick from around 1993.  Coming out after his ultra successful Wayne's World turn, and a few years before his 'success' with Austin Powers.  A lot of people still talk about Wayne's World (wonderful film, don't get me wrong), but seem to ignore this gem.  Austin Powers was an okay movie, but I much preferred the Dr. Evil character and really felt they didn't need 3 movies or the upcoming 4th, although, I read that Austin 4 focuses on Dr. Evil. 

First, I can't believe Godfather is one this list. Calling it “pointless” shows a total lack of understanding of the film. But everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, like the opinions I’m about to share with you.

Most overrated film? Independence Day. The worse two hours in the theater I’ve ever spent.

Underrated? Mystery Men! After reading so many reviews about how bad this film was, I actually enjoyed it very much

Mystery Men is very underrated.  Great cast, good writing and performances.  Wish it did more box-office. 

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2008, 11:09:47 AM »

And how exactly would Shawshank have been handled differently to make it a "better" film?  I've always loved this film, so I have to take issue with some of the comments thrown at it.  I often assume that people who dislike this kind of film has a short attention span and can't appreciate a good drama film, but I want to try not to do that here.

I thought it would have benefitted from a serious injection of subtlety.  I was not surprised by many of the plot turns or the message of redemption; I thought it executed the "feel-good" formula well, but it's still a formula.  I also thought it could do with some trimming, as I found parts uninvolving.  That said, I don't think it's a bad movie at all; I gave it 4/5 stars.  I consider it overrated because it's now listed as the #1 MOVIE OF ALL TIME on imdb, ahead of THE GODFATHER, CASABLANCA, SCHINDLER'S LIST, LA DOLCE VITA, CITIZEN KANE, THE SEVEN SAMURAI... all movies I admire, many dramas that require a long attention span.

I just don't "get" why so many people have fallen in love with this movie.  Perhaps you can explain why you think it deserves to be in that kind of company (if you think it does).

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
D-Man
Bad Movie Lover

Only my head is tiny...

« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2008, 11:48:55 AM »

No, I don't think it needs to be placed THAT high.  Those are all valid points you make, now that I think about it.  I guess I was just in a bit of a testy mood earlier.  Sorry for that.  Wink

Underrated: PULP FICTION

Why am I making this underrated?  Because every I go now, people just seem to love tearing this film apart, and saying that it sucks.  At the same time though, they put Reservoir Dogs up on the pedestal as some untouchable classic. 

Personally, I've always preferred Pulp Fiction, as a funny, brutal, and all around entertaining film.  Reservoir Dogs is a little too Nihilistic for my taste.   
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Most Overrated and Most Underrated Movies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.