Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 09:16:26 AM
714258 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7737 Members
Latest Member: NannieHime
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Most Overrated and Most Underrated Movies « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: The Most Overrated and Most Underrated Movies  (Read 50592 times)
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2008, 05:17:25 PM »

@D-Man, I admit I do have a short attention span when it comes to films so probably that is not compatible with a film like SHAWSHANK, definitely, but I wil echo what Rev.Powell said really regarding how it could have been different.

btw, agree with you on Pulp Fiction. it seems to have become 'cool' to slate it, I definitely think it is the best Tarantino film (so far) by a long way. every time it's on TV I still watch it all the way through despite countless viewings already...

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2008, 08:39:44 AM »

And how exactly would Shawshank have been handled differently to make it a "better" film?  I've always loved this film, so I have to take issue with some of the comments thrown at it.  I often assume that people who dislike this kind of film has a short attention span and can't appreciate a good drama film, but I want to try not to do that here.

I thought it would have benefitted from a serious injection of subtlety.  I was not surprised by many of the plot turns or the message of redemption; I thought it executed the "feel-good" formula well, but it's still a formula.  I also thought it could do with some trimming, as I found parts uninvolving.  That said, I don't think it's a bad movie at all; I gave it 4/5 stars.  I consider it overrated because it's now listed as the #1 MOVIE OF ALL TIME on imdb, ahead of THE GODFATHER, CASABLANCA, SCHINDLER'S LIST, LA DOLCE VITA, CITIZEN KANE, THE SEVEN SAMURAI... all movies I admire, many dramas that require a long attention span.

I just don't "get" why so many people have fallen in love with this movie.  Perhaps you can explain why you think it deserves to be in that kind of company (if you think it does).

It's been number 1 there for a long while.  Once in a while, Godfather claims it, but eventually it's back to Shawshank.  Personally Shawshank is my favorite 'movie' in the sense of it's a drama, well produced, etc.  Usually I am more interested in horror, comedy, so and so.  B-Movies, etc.  The other movies you named, like Casablanca, Citizen Kane, etc., I have zero interest in.  While I'm not debating they're better (most likely are, I"m just not interested), I do agree with Shawshank being in the top 10 or so of all time. 

I loved Shawshank and felt it was done perfectly.  Didn't feel it dragged at all and had good performances.  And I'm a guy who doesn't like Tim Robbins.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
bladerunnerblues
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2008, 02:22:28 AM »

Overrated:  Any film starring Adam Sandler in a comedy role. Aside from the wedding singer (which I like only for the nostalgic value) I simply don't get why he is considered "funny". 

Can I just say that UHF is easily one of the most underrated comedies of our time.  Sure, a good percentage of people understand that on this board but the general population dare frown upon it.   Fine by me, let them have their "funny" Adam Sandler comedies.   Lookingup  I'll take Weird Al any day.

UHF is such an overlooked movie it's a damn shame.  It's full of wonderful jokes and sight gags.  Unfortunately, the studio felt it'd be a nice summer blockbuster, and decided to open it the same summer weekend against: Honey I Shrunk The Kids, Batman, Lethal Weapon 2, and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.  Pretty much got trampled over, didn't last long, and now when people hear of it, they don't wanna watch "A Weird Al movie."

I'm a Sandler fan though, so, I can't really agree with the other statements.  I can appreciate them, as I can understand why people wouldn't like him.  Plus, I give him some credit.  He's very loyal to his friends, going so far as to give them small roles in his movies, and even producing movies for them.  Not just his former SNL castmates, but old college buddies like Allen Covert (Grandma's Boy).  Plus, he's generally called one of the 'nicest' Hollywood guys.  He'll talk to his fans at a bar and even buy rounds, whereas most guys just say hi and walk away.  Tom Green commented on Sandler: "When I married Drew Barrymore, Sandler was at the wedding.  Of her Hollywood friends, the only one who even bothered talking to me or my 'non famous' friends was Sandler.  He even danced with my mother, who was a fan."  So, his movies might be crap, but he's a nice guy.
The only time I walked alone to a movie theater and back home,is when I went to see UHF.It was worth it.The audience I saw it with laughed a lot,as did I.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Most Overrated and Most Underrated Movies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.