Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:12:39 AM
713384 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Frankenhooker (1990) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Frankenhooker (1990)  (Read 6572 times)
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« on: August 26, 2008, 10:33:09 PM »

I recently got this one on DVD, and I still think it is way more fun than it ought to be. The acting is pretty bad overall, but there are quite a few very original touches that put the overall movie firmly into the "good movie" category for me. In case you're not familiar with the movie, the story begins with Jeffrey's (James Lorinz) fiance Elizabeth (Patty Mullen) being killed in a freak remote-control lawn mower accident. Jeffrey, who has been kicked out of three medical schools and is currently employed by the New Jersey Electric Company, is grief stricken and vows to resurrect his love. Since he was only able to salvage her head, a hand, a foot and a big toe, he has to get body parts from somewhere, so he decides to prey on NYC hookers. He comes up with this plan while using a power drill on his own head (also his cure for headaches). He makes some supercrack (which causes the user to explode) and arranges a party with some prostitutes. He has a change of heart and tries to stop them from using the drug, but they ignore him and imbibe anyway. They explode, and Jeffrey takes the parts back to rebuild first Elizabeth and then whatever of the hookers he can. Things don't go quite as planned, however, and Elizabeth comes back to life and is controlled by her body parts: She is a scarred, purple hooking machine whose johns explode. I'll leave the ending out to create a little suspense if you haven't seen the movie.

The plot and acting are enjoyable (if not particularly great), and many of the little touches add to the overall enjoyability of the film. If you watch it (or rewatch it), listen to the lyrics of the song played during the party; they (along with Jeffrey's pleading) are priceless. There are plenty of bare breasts and butts, so if that's all you look for in a movie, you'll be pleased, although director Frank Henenlotter said he cut out the scenes of full frontal nudity because during rushes, he found himself just watching the pubic hair, and he figured that if he couldn't watch his own movie because of that distraction, then audiences would never be able to.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Torgo

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 10:50:47 PM »

I remember the VHS box for this where you would press a button on the front and Frankenhooker's eyes would blink with red lights.

Haven't seen this one for years and I have been meaning to check out the DVD of it.

Is the DVD completely uncut? I thought that Frank Henenlotter had to make cuts for the R rating.   

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 11:06:39 PM »

Oh, this one is a ton of fun.... Cheers

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 01:19:18 AM »

I've got this one, it's fun. I watch it at least once a year. Thumbup

Sister Grace

I found my mind in a brown paper bag...

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 05:38:46 AM »

This is an awesome movie! I've used the 'wanna date' sample for an alert for incoming messages on my computer. I first saw this years ago and to this day whenever I see someone completely wiped out in public or on the streets, I can't help but think of Super Crack...

Society, exactly as it now exists is the ultimate expression of sadomasochism in action.<br />-boyd rice-<br />On the screen, there\\\'s a death and the rustle of cloth; and a sickly voice calling me handsome...<br />-Nick Cave-
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 07:26:47 AM »

I remember the VHS box for this where you would press a button on the front and Frankenhooker's eyes would blink with red lights.

Haven't seen this one for years and I have been meaning to check out the DVD of it.

Is the DVD completely uncut? I thought that Frank Henenlotter had to make cuts for the R rating.   

The box says it is the uncut version. I listened to a bit of the commentary, and Henenlotter said that most of the cuts he had to make were pointless: Cut out one breast here, one bit of violence there, etc. He claims that he had a war going on with the MPAA and that they told him this was the first motion picture ever to receive an "S" rating, "S" standing for Sh!t. They apparently didn't like the movie.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 01:24:04 PM »

I don't know exactly what you'd call it, but I put this in a mini genre with The Stuff and Basket Case.  I guess special effects wackiness b movie
peter johnson

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 01:42:25 PM »

I remember this because it was released at exactly the same time as Robochic -- We thought of all direct-to-video fringe films coming out at that time as the competition -- some reviewers even reviewed 'em both at the same time.  Obviously, we didn't fare as well, but I always think what would've happened had Orion never slapped us with that copyright infringement suit . . .
peter johnson/denny reminicing

I have no idea what this means.
Chainsaw77
New Visitor

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 04:08:02 PM »

Frankenhooker is great. I love the ending of that film. Oh yeah and the "Super Crack"!

The bastards have landed!
WOOF!
New Visitor

It's Mr. Freak to you!

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 04:56:15 PM »

I think The Stuff doesn't even comes close to Frankenhooker or other work by Henenlotter.
The feeling, I wanna laugh, but think I shouldn't, is always apparent in his movies and is his biggest quality. Next to the totally absurd story-lines offcourse.
The Stuff is also absurd and has it funny moments, but lacks the akwardness that is so Henenlotter.
By the way; has anyone got the: "Wanna date?" tape, because I'm your man.

It's Mr. Freak to you!
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 11:44:22 PM »

Haven't met someone yet that doesn't have fond memories of this film. It just wacky fun B-movie goodness.  TeddyR

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Hammock Rider

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2008, 10:06:46 AM »

"My cousin" owned the copy of Penthouse graced by Ms. Mullen. I don't remember much about her centerfold except that yes, she was very distracting.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
WOOF!
New Visitor

It's Mr. Freak to you!

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2008, 05:02:00 AM »

"Jeffrey Franken"?.
A little bit of Re-Animator and Frankenstein?

It's Mr. Freak to you!
TrashFilmChristy
New Visitor

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2008, 07:17:02 PM »

Ahhhh...Frankenhooker!!!
I love this movie...it's just so damn much fun. We showed it at the Trash Film Orgy a few years back  (it's a midnight movie fest I run in Sacramento, CA) and that was a super-fun show. The audience had such a great time!

Everyone I ever knew with the talking VHS box had them break pretty early on unfortunately...I don't think they were meant for years worth of button pushing, unfortunately. I never had it, but we had a King Kong box that roared and he stopped working, too.  Bluesad
Fishasaurus
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2008, 05:55:14 PM »

Definitely my favorite Christmas movie.  What!?

It takes a child to raze a village. -- Jello Biafra
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Frankenhooker (1990) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.