Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:56:09 AM
713386 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Cartoon Time with the kid... « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Cartoon Time with the kid...  (Read 24274 times)
Sister Grace
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I found my mind in a brown paper bag...

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2008, 06:24:07 PM »

Revealing my age: my kids are grown and out of the house now. But they (mostly) had pretty good taste in cartoons and TV shows, shows that were really well written, a lot better than most network sitcoms. Doug, Rugrats, Garfield, Kablam!, Rocko's Modern Life, Angry Beavers, Hey Arnold were all shows they loved that I enjoyed watching over their shoulders. I think almost all of that was Nickolodeon. Our TV spent a lot of time on Nick, and then later on Nick at Night as my younger daughter rediscovered *my* past. Daria and "Beavis and Butthead" on MTV when they got older. I loved Daria, hated B & B though I was tricked into a laugh sometimes.

Ah, I miss Rocko's Modern Life and the Adventures of Pete and Pete also...

Society, exactly as it now exists is the ultimate expression of sadomasochism in action.<br />-boyd rice-<br />On the screen, there\\\'s a death and the rustle of cloth; and a sickly voice calling me handsome...<br />-Nick Cave-
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2008, 06:53:32 PM »

Happy-I don't think it was the Beetle Borgs themselves....I disliked so much as it was the idiotic blue guy....the comic relief thing....gave me the willies...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XdoMP23EKE

....ugh....nah my memory has been kind....after seeing that clip it all seems yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew....insufferable!

If you don't mind, how old were you when you watched it?  I was young then, probably like, 10ish or so, so Flabber (the blue guys name), fit right in with me then.  But, I was a kid.  Nowadays, I would say yeah, he was pretty annoying. 

I more or less liked the monsters more, the Frankenstein, the WOlf man, etc. who lived in the house with him.

Power Rangers was the better show of those live action/Japanese transfers that happened at the time.  Especially the first 5-6 years, when it was an overall plot that held the seasons together.  Nowadays each season is self contained, which detracts from it becoming a phenomenon again, I feel. 

Well...I was 35. I'm 46 now.  My kids were 5 and 3. They liked the VR Troopers too. The one with the dog. And the very irritating theme song..."WE ARE! WE ARE VR VR VR !!!" ACK! the horror...the horror...

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2008, 08:24:49 PM »

Happy-I don't think it was the Beetle Borgs themselves....I disliked so much as it was the idiotic blue guy....the comic relief thing....gave me the willies...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XdoMP23EKE

....ugh....nah my memory has been kind....after seeing that clip it all seems yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew....insufferable!

If you don't mind, how old were you when you watched it?  I was young then, probably like, 10ish or so, so Flabber (the blue guys name), fit right in with me then.  But, I was a kid.  Nowadays, I would say yeah, he was pretty annoying. 

I more or less liked the monsters more, the Frankenstein, the WOlf man, etc. who lived in the house with him.

Power Rangers was the better show of those live action/Japanese transfers that happened at the time.  Especially the first 5-6 years, when it was an overall plot that held the seasons together.  Nowadays each season is self contained, which detracts from it becoming a phenomenon again, I feel. 

Well...I was 35. I'm 46 now.  My kids were 5 and 3. They liked the VR Troopers too. The one with the dog. And the very irritating theme song..."WE ARE! WE ARE VR VR VR !!!" ACK! the horror...the horror...

VR Troopers had a dog?  I didn't like that show as much, although the video game was excellent.  I know Masked Rider had a thing called Ferbie, which was played by Verne Troyer.

Revealing my age: my kids are grown and out of the house now. But they (mostly) had pretty good taste in cartoons and TV shows, shows that were really well written, a lot better than most network sitcoms. Doug, Rugrats, Garfield, Kablam!, Rocko's Modern Life, Angry Beavers, Hey Arnold were all shows they loved that I enjoyed watching over their shoulders. I think almost all of that was Nickolodeon. Our TV spent a lot of time on Nick, and then later on Nick at Night as my younger daughter rediscovered *my* past. Daria and "Beavis and Butthead" on MTV when they got older. I loved Daria, hated B & B though I was tricked into a laugh sometimes.

Nickelodeon was a very good network for a long time.  I spent many a days watching: Ren and Stimpy, Clarissa Explains it All, Hey Dude, Salute Your Shorts, Space Cases, Doug, Rugrats, and All That, amongst others. 

Shame it's kinda gone downhill, save for a couple of shows.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
AllisonSNLKid
Dedicated Viewer

Your Saturday Night Live Guru since 1996!

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2008, 09:21:21 PM »

Not a parent myself (though I'm 25 years old), but I babysat until August 1997 for two different groups of kids - one group was 3 boys, ages (in 1997) 11, 10, and 8.  We watched alot of Kids WB and Fox Kids - they were Power Ranger fanatics (which I loathed - I was 12 in 1995 when I started watching them, and they were obsessed with it!), but we also watched the Superman cartoon that started in 1996 on WB (the one with Tim Daly - which was the only way I liked Superman back then (and the way I still do now), and not b/c it was Tim Daly's voice - I loved the animation), Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain (which I watched at home as well), and usually, I could entice them to watch Nickelodeon cartoons after Fox Kids and Kids WB was over.

The other kids I sat for were a brother and sister, in 1996, they were 10 and 11 years old.  These kids were my favorites, because they LOVED The Simpsons, and we watched it when I was there on weeknights (they lived a few houses down from me, and I watched them on weeknights from 5 until about 8 or 9 a few nights a week during school, and then from about 10 am until 4 or 5 during the summer) - they were old enough to be alone during the day, but their mom wanted someone who could hang out with them - at night, I just watched TV and did homework with them. (during school).  They were alot of fun - we always watched The Simpsons together in the boy's bedroom.  We also watched Rocko's Modern Life on Nickelodeon.

As a child of the 80s and 90s myself, having been born in 1982, I watched ALOT of cartoons.  I watched Nickelodeon until I was almost 15 years old (my brother did too - we are twins and really liked Rocko's Modern Life), but Nick was still showing GUTS and Legends of the Hidden Temple until 1997 - shows we watched a few years ago on digital cable as twenty-somethings, usually together.

My mom said while much of the stuff we liked was non-threatening and not annoying as kids, I remember her cringing every time "Legend of Zelda" was on - which was every Friday instead of Super Mario Bros., because she HATED Link.  She also did not like The Smurfs (which we weren't big on) and My Little Pony.

Our cartoon choices were not as bad as our sitcom choices - she still hates Perfect Strangers, which we loved as kids.

It's like people only do things because they get paid.  And that's just really sad.
BTM

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2008, 11:12:48 PM »

I don't have kids, but if I did, I think I'd try to steer them towards cartoons I like.  In addition to all the ones already mentioned that are cool (TMNT, Batman, etc), I'd try to get him to watch Avatar the Last AirBender, watched a few eps of that and that is a pretty freaking GOOD show, for anyone, not just kids.  Been toying around with the idea of getting the DVDs on my Netflix cue so I can watch the whole story in order. 

(That's the only drawback, the series is one huge story, so it's kind of hard to pick it up in the middle.)

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2008, 05:50:03 AM »

I watch the Family Guy and my son will ocassionally come in the room.  He's two so he doesn't understand a lot of what is going on in the show.  Still, he'll laugh at a few things.  Usually the stuff I'm laughing at.  As he gets a full vocabulary, I don't think I'll be watching the show with him around. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Sister Grace

I found my mind in a brown paper bag...

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2008, 07:15:47 AM »

I watch the Family Guy and my son will ocassionally come in the room.  He's two so he doesn't understand a lot of what is going on in the show.  Still, he'll laugh at a few things.  Usually the stuff I'm laughing at.  As he gets a full vocabulary, I don't think I'll be watching the show with him around. 

Trust me, take my advice and don't let him watch a whole lot of the History Channel when he gets a few more years on him. Teachers tend not to like it when a kid starts calling others communists on the playground...geez, of all the notes I've got sent home, that will always be my favorite... BounceGiggle

Society, exactly as it now exists is the ultimate expression of sadomasochism in action.<br />-boyd rice-<br />On the screen, there\\\'s a death and the rustle of cloth; and a sickly voice calling me handsome...<br />-Nick Cave-
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2008, 07:49:45 AM »

Im not a parent BUT,

Ben 10 kicks ass.
Flapjack is an effing riot.
Courage the Cowardly Dog is great.
Billy and Mandy is hilarious.
Spoungebob is cool, and Fairly odd parants is funny.

Other than that, i have to turn to dvds and internet downloads to watch good cartoons that I grew up with like Rocko's Modern Life.

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2008, 08:26:12 AM »

Not a parent myself (though I'm 25 years old), but I babysat until August 1997 for two different groups of kids - one group was 3 boys, ages (in 1997) 11, 10, and 8.  We watched alot of Kids WB and Fox Kids - they were Power Ranger fanatics (which I loathed - I was 12 in 1995 when I started watching them, and they were obsessed with it!), but we also watched the Superman cartoon that started in 1996 on WB (the one with Tim Daly - which was the only way I liked Superman back then (and the way I still do now), and not b/c it was Tim Daly's voice - I loved the animation), Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain (which I watched at home as well), and usually, I could entice them to watch Nickelodeon cartoons after Fox Kids and Kids WB was over.

The other kids I sat for were a brother and sister, in 1996, they were 10 and 11 years old.  These kids were my favorites, because they LOVED The Simpsons, and we watched it when I was there on weeknights (they lived a few houses down from me, and I watched them on weeknights from 5 until about 8 or 9 a few nights a week during school, and then from about 10 am until 4 or 5 during the summer) - they were old enough to be alone during the day, but their mom wanted someone who could hang out with them - at night, I just watched TV and did homework with them. (during school).  They were alot of fun - we always watched The Simpsons together in the boy's bedroom.  We also watched Rocko's Modern Life on Nickelodeon.

As a child of the 80s and 90s myself, having been born in 1982, I watched ALOT of cartoons.  I watched Nickelodeon until I was almost 15 years old (my brother did too - we are twins and really liked Rocko's Modern Life), but Nick was still showing GUTS and Legends of the Hidden Temple until 1997 - shows we watched a few years ago on digital cable as twenty-somethings, usually together.

My mom said while much of the stuff we liked was non-threatening and not annoying as kids, I remember her cringing every time "Legend of Zelda" was on - which was every Friday instead of Super Mario Bros., because she HATED Link.  She also did not like The Smurfs (which we weren't big on) and My Little Pony.

Our cartoon choices were not as bad as our sitcom choices - she still hates Perfect Strangers, which we loved as kids.
Pinky and The Brain was such a wonderful show.  I think there were a lot of jokes on it that worked for adults as well.  Same with Rocko's Modern Life, in fact.  Lots of smart humor and double entendre.

AllisonSNLKid
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2008, 11:06:15 PM »

My mom likes Family Guy, especially Stewie (she also had a soft spot for Montgomery Burns on The Simpsons - why, I have NO IDEA!).  The funny thing is how many 50-somethings like it.  The accounting supervisor at my job watches it almost every night, and says she laughs pretty hard at some of the weirder, more bizarre jokes.

I worked for a video store until May 2005, and a parent with a nine-year old son asked me if Family Guy was OK for her kid...I told her no, because even though alot of the jokes would go over her kid's head, alot of it is just not appropriate for younger kids (nudity, Quagmire, yadda yadda).  I was 16 when I started watching in 1999, and for some reason, my brother and I understood all of the jokes, including the esoteric references.

My parents never really had to worry about what me and my brother watched, though we've always had this habit of quoting every movie we watched, even the inappropriate lines, and not really knowing what we were talking about (The "ribbed for her pleasure" line in Wayne's World comes to mind - it just sounded funny when I was nine, but I figured out the reference when I was 11 and watching the movie with a friend).

It's like people only do things because they get paid.  And that's just really sad.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2008, 08:27:16 AM »

My mom likes Family Guy, especially Stewie (she also had a soft spot for Montgomery Burns on The Simpsons - why, I have NO IDEA!).  The funny thing is how many 50-somethings like it.  The accounting supervisor at my job watches it almost every night, and says she laughs pretty hard at some of the weirder, more bizarre jokes.

I worked for a video store until May 2005, and a parent with a nine-year old son asked me if Family Guy was OK for her kid...I told her no, because even though alot of the jokes would go over her kid's head, alot of it is just not appropriate for younger kids (nudity, Quagmire, yadda yadda).  I was 16 when I started watching in 1999, and for some reason, my brother and I understood all of the jokes, including the esoteric references.

My parents never really had to worry about what me and my brother watched, though we've always had this habit of quoting every movie we watched, even the inappropriate lines, and not really knowing what we were talking about (The "ribbed for her pleasure" line in Wayne's World comes to mind - it just sounded funny when I was nine, but I figured out the reference when I was 11 and watching the movie with a friend).
Montgomery Burns is hilarious.  Who wouldn't love that character?  Hell, it's my mom's favorite character.

Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2008, 08:34:22 AM »

Small | Large

AllisonSNLKid
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2008, 10:18:30 PM »

Montgomery Burns is hilarious.  Who wouldn't love that character?  Hell, it's my mom's favorite character.

My mom likes his dumb quotes - me and my brother do the "Smithers, I really like this iced cream," quote alot.

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2008, 08:24:05 AM »

My mom likes his dumb quotes - me and my brother do the "Smithers, I really like this iced cream," quote alot.
I love a lot of the characters on The Simpsons, but lately the focus of my favorite characters have shifted from the Simpson family to the other people, such as Burns, Ralphie, Martin, etc.

ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2008, 03:56:20 PM »

I like "Fairly Oddparents", I think that one's hilarious, and I quote it often, and we watch some Spongebob. OTHERWISE, I'm all about Metalocalypse, and I love Venture Bros and Squidbillies. My all-time favorite though is "Sealab 2021" (Not the ORIGINAL Sealab 2020, hated that one). Metalocalypse has some VERY good music, if you don't take it too seriously, as it doesn't that itself too seriously. They have a song caller "Murmaider", and it's totally Deth Metal, but all in all, , it's about MERMAIDS, or at least MURDERING, and being murdered BY Mermaids.

If anyone is interested in checking out Sealab 2021, I would for starters suggest the episodes "Craptastic Voyage", "Dearly Beloved Seed", "Feast of Alvis", "Der Dieb", "Shrabster", "Monkey Banana Raffle", "Neptunati", or "Moby Sick". For Metalocalypse, check out "Dethclown" or "The Metalocalypse Has Begun" aka "It has Begun".

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Cartoon Time with the kid... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.