Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:17:00 AM
713394 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Green Lantern (2011) « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Green Lantern (2011)  (Read 6078 times)
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2011, 10:10:29 AM »

I think my worst problem with the movie is the sequel setup.

"The power of fear turned one of our fellow cosmic Guardians into a planet-consuming eldritch abomination that scares us juiceless, and you want us to put it into a ring for you? Okay."

"Slugs?  He created slugs? I would have started with lasers, six o'clock, day one!" -- Evil, Time Bandits
Hammock Rider
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2011, 10:51:09 AM »

Green Lantern wasn't as good as Thor or First Class abd part of that was the acting, sure. But I think it also has to do with the studio committment. You had Kenneth Branaugh directing Thor. With his Shakespearean backround he was a great choice for this movie.  Marvel obviously wanted a top notch production when they hired him. The same applies to First Class. Matthew Vaughn directed Layer Cake and it starred Michael Fassbender, James McAvoy and a surprisingly good Kevin Bacon.

Green Lantern had a lesser cast and crew. . Martin Campbell directed a few James Bond movies so he's ok for action. Ryan Reynolds was a good choice but didn't really seemed that into the part. Blake Lively was ok. Peter Sarsgaard and Mark Strong were good in their smaller roles. I also liked Anglea Bassett as Amanda Waller. The problem is that the best actors had the shortest screen time and the director as fair to middling. The writers have mostly done tv and video games. I think Warner Brothers wanted to make a top tier mocie with this one. They put together some competant people and gave the audience a competant film.

Sure they missed plenty of opportunites, but unfortunately that's true of the Green Lantern comic as well.  The potential for good stories based on the most elite law enforcement unit in the universe is limitless. Rarely do the books live up to the possibilities.  I'm not saying Green Lantern was at the top of the class, but it wasn't a bad movie either.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2011, 08:35:13 PM »

A sequel is planned and now that a lot of stuff is taken care of they can do more cool things.

*Spoiler* (and suggestions)
During the credits there is a scene with Sinestro taking the Yellow ring and it creating his Sinestro Corps outfit.  For the sequel, I say have him trying to be both Green Lantern and Sinestro Corp.  Trying to juggle will and fear as he starts to go too far and imposing his will on others.  Hal could be working beside him trying to keep him good as well as seeing Sinestro's intentions are noble (misguded and going to far-but still noble).  All while fighting some space based Green Lantern rogue like Legion, the manhunters,  Lord Malvolo (an considering he's an evil GL-that could serve as a warning as too what could happen when power is taken too far.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2011, 04:33:56 PM »

I haven't seen "Thor" and/or "X-men," so I can't comment on them in relation to this one, but I did think this one was not bad . . . not bad. Which may be damning with faint praise, but it did turn out better than I expected. But, still . . .

Maybe because of being p.c., they missed an opportunity to include one of the most unique and great comic book characters (IMHO) of all time. That crack jet mechanic and Eskimo Pieface.

I didn't like also Peter Sarsgaard's external transformation, as it gave away, what I thought was his strongest secret, if you did not know it, which would be his internal transformation.

But the main problem I had with the film was that the filmmakers seemed to be trying to tell two stories in one film. A story set here on earth and a second story set in outer space. Both good stories, but I'd think it'd have been better if they had decided on just one of the two stories and saved the second story for the sequel.

Still, there were several things I liked about the film.

I liked the final battle with Parallax. Though, perhaps for budgetary reasons, it should have gone on longer to build up some sense of suspense.

I liked the fact that the writers seemingly did not take an easy way out. It could have been so simple to make some of the characters unlikable, such as the senator and the doctor, but if they did not make them totally likable, they did make them likable in some ways.

And I liked the fact, that at least for this film, they made Sinestro a hero instead of a villain. As I think he comes off much better as a hero than a villain.
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2011, 04:53:20 PM »

Maybe because of being p.c., they missed an opportunity to include one of the most unique and great comic book characters (IMHO) of all time. That crack jet mechanic and Eskimo Pieface.

He was in the movie. They just used his real name: Tom Kalmaku. 
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0169806/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Kalmaku

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2011, 07:35:41 PM »

He was in the movie. They just used his real name: Tom Kalmaku. 

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0169806/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Kalmaku

Thank-you for correcting my mistake. There's a karma in it for you. Though, I must admit, I find the character far more memorable in the comic book than he was in the film.
Thank-you again for correcting my mistake.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Green Lantern (2011) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.