Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:47:04 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Robocop 3 « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Robocop 3  (Read 2346 times)
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: January 14, 2011, 07:41:05 PM »

Plot: Suffering from financial trouble, the OCP is pushing boundaries to finally build Delta City, the megacity that will eventually replace crime-ridden Detroit. Armies of Amazon veterans forcibly relocate entire neighbourhoods while the Splatter Punks make entire zones in the city uninhabitable. Robocop gets gradually involved int fight between OCP mercenaries and the resisting Detroit citizens, while OCP is absorbed by a Japanese Corporation, the Kanemitsu.

Comments: Oh, boy there are no words to describe how disappointed I was when I watched this one when it came out. Fans of the series call it a travesty, and I understand why. Orion Pictures, the studio that had produced the two previous Robocop movies, was in financial trouble itself when it made it, and attempting to lure more viewers they considerably watered down the violence and sarcasm of the series, which was a fatal mistake. In fact, it has its irony. A series of films that critizise the 80s corporate mentality, all while the real execs behind the movies turn the ones in the screen into geniuses by comparison.

Re-watching the film after all these years is an interesting experience. First of all, let me say it all loud and clear, the flaws of the film are still there. The fact that they threw at us a kid as the main character. And a computer genius kid, to boot. The cheaper budget, which results in tacky FX and few extras appearing in mass scenes. The cheap sentimental shots. That half of the actors try to do their best while the other half (Rip Torn being one of the worst offenders here) hams it up as if the were in a kids' movie, which in fact, isn't that far from truth. And specially, action scenes sorely laking in violence and bloodshed.

But despite all this (you knew there was going to be a but, right?) I found myself enjoying the film more than I expected. You have to understand, I'm not among the fans of "Robocop 2". For starters, the script by Frank Miller was a mess. A mess with some terrific ideas, agreed, such as making a 12 year old kid the star of a subplot that poked fun at gangster films, or having him bail out (with drug money!) Detroit's City Hall. But it was still a mess, and not a good one. And Irvin Kershner's direction was awful. No pace to be found elsewhere, and Verhoeven's sense of satire and provocation turned into artless schlock.

Here Frank Miller returns as a screenwriter, but this time the plot is more straightforward, while he keeps throwing interesting ideas and concepts. OCP derailing as it is being absorbed by a Japanese corporation (the bits with suits considering -and carrying out- suicide are hysterical). Robocop's dividing loyalties between law and order and ordinary justice. Detroit's ongoing degeneration turning into an open battle between gangs, OCP mercenaries and neighbors. The villains are also more varied and fun than in the previous film. We have a new OCP president, played by Rip Torn, the OCP mercenaries commanded by McDaggett (some, John Castle, who somehow looks like a dad from a sitcom but with a very bad attitude), the Splatter Punks, a new urban gang, and even a robotic ninja created by Kanemitsu. And Fred Dekker's direction is quite efficient. Sure, many action bits feel emasculated, and there are a number of obvious mistakes all around, but he keeps the pace flowing nicely (something that Irvin Kershner failed to) and he even manages to mount some decent action bits here and there, despite the ridiculous budget. Even composer Basil Poleuduris is back, which means we hear again the Robocop theme when it's time, and not some painful imitation.

But yes, I can understand the violent hatred. As I said, "Robocop 3" has some interesting things going on and it deserves some credit for that, but ultimately the low budget and the suits' determination to transform it into a kiddie film completely ruin it. Take for instance the Robocop vs. McDaggett plot element. It starts well enough, with McDagett proving himself a competent and dangerous (albeit PG-13) villain. Then Robocop finally decides to take action against him. And what does he do? To torch a couple of rooms occupied by his mercs, sending them running away like scared chicken, but completely unharmed. And later he even shoots at a cocky merc's gun instead of filling him with bloody holes. And it's not even a direct shot that leaves the merc with a bloody hand and a scared expression, no. Instead Robo shoots the gun several times, keeping it in the air, while the merc looks at it with an expression more worthy of a soap opera. Not to mention the final battle, where a lot of armed civilians and policemen almost let themselves be overrun by like a dozen Splatter Punks. So, yes, I can understand the hatred.

Indeed, "Robocop 3" well deserves the scorn it received and is, generally speaking, as poor as people say. But still I found it somehow charming. It may be the old school filmmaking and FX, the inherited look it borrows from the previous films, or even the small bits here and there were Dekker and Miller manage to make things work. Or all things combined. It will remain forever as a clear example of wasted potential, naturally. But for plain bad, just check out the "Robocop" live action TV series that followed. Those who greenlighted that abomination instead of another Robocop movie that could have righted the wrongs of "Robocop 3" should eat s**t and die. Plain and simple.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 07:51:52 PM by Neville » Logged

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Couchtr26

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 10:13:11 PM »

Excellent review and well made points Neville.  I can remember being a young kid when the first Robocop came out and being fascinated by it.  Explosions and bad guys getting shot.  I was simple.  The second was alright but I was more interested in that my friends liked it.  Third and I completely lost all faith with the series.  However, now I realize there was a television show.  Question Buggedout Now, I must track it down.  Bad or not, I must see it.  I will watch it remembering the simple phrase, "You just watched it, you can't unwatch it".

Ah, the good old days.
Neville

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 06:37:31 AM »

Please, don't. I mean it.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 02:51:00 PM »

I don't waste emotional energy hating on movies, but I will say that the second one was the most unlikable to me.   I liked the third one for the fact that I could take my at the time 8 year old son to watch it.   I didn't think it was terrible, but  was made for a younger audience.

I own the TV series and I enjoy watching it.     I will tell you this much about it, Robo doesn't kill a single person in 22 episodes.  The show does however have tons of satire.  Good luck trying to find it.  Apparently it was only released in Region 2.  I bought my off ebay from someone in the UK.

I didn't care much for the Prime Directives mini series because how cheaply it was made.

You can check out all the different incarnations of Robocop at the http://robocoparchive.com/

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Couchtr26

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 06:55:48 PM »

I don't waste emotional energy hating on movies, but I will say that the second one was the most unlikable to me.   I liked the third one for the fact that I could take my at the time 8 year old son to watch it.   I didn't think it was terrible, but  was made for a younger audience.

I own the TV series and I enjoy watching it.     I will tell you this much about it, Robo doesn't kill a single person in 22 episodes.  The show does however have tons of satire.  Good luck trying to find it.  Apparently it was only released in Region 2.  I bought my off ebay from someone in the UK.

I didn't care much for the Prime Directives mini series because how cheaply it was made.

You can check out all the different incarnations of Robocop at the http://robocoparchive.com/

I wasn't able to catch whole episodes but I did see a 10 minute preview on Youtube.  It seemed interesting in concept.  I didn't think that not killing anything was bad but was a little off put from the computer interface moment searching for alternatives to deadly force.  I think I had heard about it at the time but was more into video games and such to watch it.  Plus in tracing it down, I noticed it was on FOX.  Not that it was bad, but in the 90's FOX was in that interim period from when it first started and what it is today.  It was just an odd time when I didn't watch much.  I also tracked down JIBAN from Japan in searching.  Why did I not see that coming? 

Ah, the good old days.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Robocop 3 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.