Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:00:25 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Gunhed « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gunhed  (Read 24881 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: August 31, 2008, 07:57:49 AM »

A plucky mechanic repairs a military Gunhed robot, and sets out to destroy the computer overlord Kyron5.  The movie is a decent attempt at a cyberpunk story, but I was constantly distracted by Nim, the demure female Texas Air Ranger with the skin tight pants.  Mmmmm...Nim...

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 08:22:03 AM »

There was a trailer for this on a tape I had of Destroy All Monsters, I thought it looked pretty cool, but eventually, after watching it several times ...I became scared of the music... Lookingup I was relieved some months later when my sister ended up trashing the tape beyond repair...

When I got a bit older I became very curious about the film again. I luckily found it at my closest Blockbuster, and enjoyed it very much despite being quite confused at my still young age.

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 12:03:52 PM »

I don’t know why, but this movie makes me think of Transformers, Stealth Fighter, and The Terminator for some reason.  Question

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 12:14:19 PM »

I remember seeing that movie and didn't like it at all.  The whole thing was such a jumbled mess I couldn't make heads or tails out of it.  People would start shooting, I didn't know if that was our characters shooting at each other, or somebody else, or what.  Characters would just drop out of the story with no explanation.  And they were constantly saying and doing things that were completely nonsensical, from that quote "go for it gunhed and don't get drunk" (Huh, WTF?) to that woman dropping unconscious for no apparent reason.  Blah  Question

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 09:50:34 PM »

GUNHED!   This movie had a disproportionately huge effect on my life, for all that it ws a mess.  I first heard about it in William Gibson's book "Virtual Light" where it had a passing mention.  That caused me to track down the movie, which I, in an impressionable state of mind.  I named my next car Gunhed in honor. 
Yow, I really needed a girlfriend in those days.
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Predseda
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 05:50:30 AM »

I really don't know why, but there is some reason why I like this movie. Maabe because it is so weird? Could be, I think.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 08:53:30 AM »

Random act of violence against.....um.....some random piece of junk!

TeddyR TeddyR BounceGiggle Virtual karma to Andrew for the smile!

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Racist Melon Farmer
Dedicated Viewer

Got Sodium?

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 04:43:11 PM »

Interesting concept, a robot that runs on alcoholic beverages.  Cheers  Was Gunhed a predecessor of the Bender unit?

Foolish Earthlings! Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!
akiratubo

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 07:33:37 PM »

Boring, unforgivably padded movie.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
DavidFullam
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 08:44:36 PM »

An anime version was made around the same time. Have no idea if it was an improvement.
Flangepart

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 10:29:12 AM »

Interesting concept, a robot that runs on alcoholic beverages.  Cheers  Was Gunhed a predecessor of the Bender unit?
Now I'm thinking of the next FUTURAMA flick, and Bender gets all gunned up and aims to misbehave. Thumbup

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 10:07:06 PM »

I think that the film's promise is shown in those first few minutes, when it relies on all atmosphere and some very good model work to show the Gunhed battalion's doomed attack on Kyron5.  If the film had been about that, vice Brooklyn and his buddies, then it might well have been a great cyberpunk film.

Of course, then we would have missed out on Nim, and that would be a shame.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
WilliamWeird1313
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Bad taste is just an acquired taste!!!

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 09:31:55 AM »

I remember seeing this movie for the first time years upon years ago, thanks to a late, late, late night showing on the Sci-Fi Channel. I thought it was a hoot, and then I thought I'd never see it again. Maybe a year and a half after that I saw it again on another late, late, late night showing on the Sci-Fi Channel, and this time... I taped it.

I find it endlessly entertaining to watch the opening credits, which are made up pretty much entirely of Japanese names, and then seeing "Directed By Alan Smithee" pop up.

"On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil." - Vigo (former Carpathian warlord and one-time Slayer lyric-writer)
Sitting Duck
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2008, 10:53:19 AM »

It would have been cool if at some point Gunhed would utter, "Bite my shiny, metal arse."  Cheers
Trekkie313
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2010, 02:24:25 PM »

I gotta see this movie, awesome soundtrack.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Gunhed « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.