Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 12:14:28 AM
714253 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The War Lord (1965) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The War Lord (1965)  (Read 2797 times)
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: September 03, 2008, 05:40:55 PM »

Just seen this great medieval adventures film starring Charlton Heston. I had heard of it before, but despite the good word of mouth I somehow resisted to watching it because it's not exactly a very well known film, despite involving both Heston and the director of "Planet of the apes", Frankiln Shaffner. Now I wished I had watched it before, it's one of the best of its kind I've ever seen.

The film stars an aging warrior (Heston, of course) who has been fighting the Frisians all his life, half because of duty, as his master is an enemy of the Frisians, half to avenge his father, who was once a hostage of these barbarians. As a reward of sorts for his services he is appointed to guard a coastal village in France, as well as to become the local chieftain.

But as soon as he arrives there, he sees complications at every corner. The Frisians attack the region every now and then, the land is swampish and uninviting, and the villagers themselves are barely Christian and don't trust their new master. And to make things worse, there's this beautiful young woman who keeps popping up at the most unexpected places, and who is to marry one of the villagers.

It's almost a pity that a great deal of the movie's second half is devoted to the siege Heston and his people suffer in their tower, as there is enough substance in here to make the film work without all that. You can tell right from the start that great care has been put in the atmosphere (the swamps, the heathen rituals in which the villagers indulge now and then) and in the depiction of Heston's character. There are many hints here of how unsatisfactory he finds his own existence, as well as his inability to escape the confines of a life suffocated by his personal sense of duty and the love he develops for the girl, and while all this themes andsubplots are very well exploited I felt I could have done without most of the battle scenes, no matter how well shot they are.

You could even say the predictability of the plot works in favour of the film. You can tell right from the start the main plot points, but so can, to a certain extent, Heston's character, but there's nothing he can do about it, and that certainly adds to the sense of incoming tragedy and inevitability that drenches the whole film. I mean, nothing good ever came after a redish sunset, did it?

8'5 / 10

Now, quit saying Ben-Hur was gay or I'm throwing you to my dogs!

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 08:29:18 PM »

It's been a while since I've seen this film, but THE WAR LORD is a solid film. I've always like this genre of film. Like you said the atmosphere makes this film memorable.

Small | Large
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 08:38:17 PM by Wolfgang » Logged

trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 09:34:45 AM »

Not really a comment about the movie, but it's interesting to see Guy Stockwell before he started imitating Orson Welles.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 08:49:43 PM »

A great film, one I've seen many times, with a great cast, which also includes Richard Boone, Rosemary Forsyth, Maurice Evans, Niall MacGinnis, James Farentino, and Henry Wilcoxon.

In his autobiography Heston said how difficult it was to cast the film. Some old actor for which he had nothing but the highest respect would come in, read for the part, and Heston would have to tell the actor that he just wasn't right for the part.

Paul Frees not only is the narrator, but he also dubbed some of the actors in the film. I knew his voice, but not what he looked like, so when I heard that distinctive voice of his in the film, I wondered if that was what he looked like.

And the siege of the tower is one of my favorite action scenes in all the films I've seen.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The War Lord (1965) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.