Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 10:37:47 PM
714192 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7733 Members
Latest Member: Mamie94489
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Help Installing a Router « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Help Installing a Router  (Read 4763 times)
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« on: September 09, 2008, 07:41:17 PM »

I got a router over the weekend. I've never messed with one of these things before, because I only have one computer.
I can't get the darn thing to install.

What I got was a LYNKSYS EtherFast Cable/DSL Router with 4-Port Switch, which I have connected to a Linksys ethernet card.

The problem I keep running into, is that the setup wizard keeps saying it can't find the router.
Sometimes, it does this when I first start the setup software, but a couple of times, I've managed to get to the second step, configuring my internet connection, but either way, I keep getting the same "router not found" message.

Anybody know how these thing work?

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 08:28:18 PM »

There are a lot of possibilities.  Something you might want to check is to make sure that your ethernet card is pulling a DHCP (dynamic, given out by the router) IP address.  That can cause problems.

Also, was the ethernet card working correctly with your old router?

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
LilCerberus

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 10:24:10 PM »

There are a lot of possibilities.  Something you might want to check is to make sure that your ethernet card is pulling a DHCP (dynamic, given out by the router) IP address.  That can cause problems.

Also, was the ethernet card working correctly with your old router?

The setup I've been using is the ethernet card, connected to a Westell 6100 DSL modem from Verizon.
I think the problem is that both the modem & the router are fighting over the IP address, 192.168.1.1

The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 11:33:19 PM »

Connect the computer to the router without connecting it to the modem, and see if you can configure the router to use 192.160.1.2

If you can do THAT, connect it to the modem and you might be in business.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 12:36:32 AM »

Wow, like Andrew says, there are lots of possibilities.

First of all, the router needs TWO IP addresses.  That's what a router is...a device to connect two networks.

Chances are, your DSL modem is configured to act as a router and also a DHCP server, assigning your computer's IP address when you log on.  If you are using a separate router, you need to make sure the DSL modem is in "bridge" mode...not necessary, but MUCH easier to get things configured (that is, why deal with three networks when you can deal with two).

This is why your LinkSys router and Westel modem are fighting over the same private net address...if you go to bridge mode on your modem, you won't have that problem anymore.

Once the modem is in bridge mode, you need to know whether the modem was pulling an IP address via DHCP from ITS upstream server.  If you are not paying for a static IP address, chances are that this is the case.  If so, the router OUTSIDE IP address configuration needs to be set to DHCP or something equivalent (I think PPPoE does it this way, but with username and pw authentication).  Verizon probably gave you a username and pw to enter into your modem...with it in bridge mode, you won't need it there.  You will need it on the router, however.

Then you'll probably want to use the router's default internal IP address and set it to be DHCP server for whatever computers connect.  This is the least hands-on approach to setting up your internal network.

Hope this helps.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
LilCerberus

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 12:45:19 AM »

When I use the setup wizard, I seem to be able to get into the router without the modem, however, the next step requires I plug the modem back in to verify internet connectivity. That's when I get the "router not found" message.

According to Verizon's help pages, I need to reconfigure the modem first, from PPPoE to Bridged.
http://www22.verizon.com/NROneRetail/NR/rdonlyres/D50F2DA0-1AB1-4DD8-BD82-B6660C9B8DA8/0/Case21508WiredLinksys6100.pdf

However, when I try to access the modem, I'm prompted for a username & password, which I assume means my Verizon account, but I keep getting redirected to the 401 Not Authorized page. I've tried this with several addresses.

Here's what I've been able to find so far:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : none-bzoopmw7ur
        Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
        Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
        IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
        WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : myhome.westell.com

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 6:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : myhome.westell.com
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Linksys NC100 Fast Ethernet Adapter
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1A-70-15-C1-CF
        Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
        Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::21a:70ff:fe15:c1cf%4
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
        DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
        DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
                                            fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
                                            fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
                                            fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
        Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, September 10, 2008 1:13:5
6 AM
        Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, September 12, 2008 1:13:56 A
M

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 80-00-3A-4E-B8-09-6E-A8
        Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e50:8000:3a4e:b809:6ea8

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::ffff:ffff:fffd%5
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
        NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : myhome.westell.com
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : C0-A8-01-64
        Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.1.100%2
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
        DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
                                            fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
                                            fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
        NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 08:19:33 AM »

According to Verizon's help pages, I need to reconfigure the modem first, from PPPoE to Bridged.
http://www22.verizon.com/NROneRetail/NR/rdonlyres/D50F2DA0-1AB1-4DD8-BD82-B6660C9B8DA8/0/Case21508WiredLinksys6100.pdf

Sounds familiar.   BounceGiggle

However, when I try to access the modem, I'm prompted for a username & password, which I assume means my Verizon account, but I keep getting redirected to the 401 Not Authorized page. I've tried this with several addresses.

Okay, I'm assuming that you are trying to access your modem with the router still in the stream.  Is this the case?

If so, disconnect the router from both your computer and the modem and connect the modem directly to your computer.  Go back to square one, in other words.  See if you can log into your modem and change it to bridge mode.

If you are already at this stage and are still having trouble making changes to your modem configuration, the username and password you need for this are the 'admin' username and password for modem itself, no the Verizon network username and password.

If you've never set those, they are set to some default settings - probably something like "admin" and "password" or even "admin" and leave the password blank.  I've configured your model modem for a client, but unfortunately, I don't recall the default username and password.  Google can help you, IF you can get on the 'Net.

Once you've got the modem being a bridge instead of a router, then put the router inline between the computer and the modem.  Things should work hunky dory, after you enter the Verizon username and password.

Hope this helps.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
LilCerberus

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 07:22:30 PM »

Yup! That was the whole problem right there!
Once I managed to change the admin settings, the rest went according to the instructions!  TeddyR
Thanks, everybody

If you are already at this stage and are still having trouble making changes to your modem configuration, the username and password you need for this are the 'admin' username and password for modem itself, no the Verizon network username and password.

If you've never set those, they are set to some default settings - probably something like "admin" and "password" or even "admin" and leave the password blank.  I've configured your model modem for a client, but unfortunately, I don't recall the default username and password.  Google can help you, IF you can get on the 'Net.

Once you've got the modem being a bridge instead of a router, then put the router inline between the computer and the modem.  Things should work hunky dory, after you enter the Verizon username and password.

Hope this helps.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Help Installing a Router « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.