Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:17:58 PM
714241 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Danse Macabre « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Danse Macabre  (Read 3618 times)
schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« on: September 11, 2008, 01:19:24 PM »

Something in the "Are you a B-Movie Addict" thread brought this to mind, but I forget what. Being a fan of all things Stephen King, even the bad TV adaptations and his forays into alternate publishing and other kinds of stories... one time I picked up his non-fiction book "Danse Macabre". It's basically a history of the horror genre, books and movies, written by a guy who's obviously a fan of both. He sounds like a guy who'd share a lot of the same tastes as people here. I read this book cover to cover like a novel and enjoyed every word. I'd like to recommend it to the readers of this forum.

BTW, if anyone wants to know, his favorite ghost story seems to be "The Haunting of Hill House" by Shirley Jackson. He raves about the writing, in fact spends a couple of pages raving just about the opening paragraph!

My other main memory from this book is King's description of the movie "Freaks", which I haven't yet seen but if Netflix has it I guess I'll get around to it sometime. Sounds damned scary.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 06:09:48 PM »

I love the book. It even has a chapter devouted to BAD movies-"the Horror Movie as Junk Food.".
  I have to agree with Mr. King on 'the Haunting of Hill House." I t IS IMHO, one of the very BEST novels ever written.. It goes beyond being a horror novel,it is LITATURE. A MUST. The passage with Elenor running through the fields outside of Hill House and encountering...only for a split second-the ghostly picnic-is unreal and truly terrifying.
 He also states that PROPHCY (reviewed here by are fearsome leader Andrew) and TOURIST TRAP (a personal favorite of mine as well) as guilty pleasures! The only thing I DON'T agree with King on his opinion that these bad films should be discarded. I believe in even some of the most insane,ridicoulous films are some true moments of horror. Even in a garbage nudie cutie like The WILD and the NAKED...the scene where the weirdo hermit is doing his disturbing little dance around  the tied up girl....that could be any serial killer nutjob. Reality is MUCH scarier than fiction.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 05:01:39 PM »

I love the book. It even has a chapter devouted to BAD movies-"the Horror Movie as Junk Food.".
  I have to agree with Mr. King on 'the Haunting of Hill House." I t IS IMHO, one of the very BEST novels ever written.. It goes beyond being a horror novel,it is LITATURE. A MUST. The passage with Elenor running through the fields outside of Hill House and encountering...only for a split second-the ghostly picnic-is unreal and truly terrifying.
 He also states that PROPHCY (reviewed here by are fearsome leader Andrew) and TOURIST TRAP (a personal favorite of mine as well) as guilty pleasures! The only thing I DON'T agree with King on his opinion that these bad films should be discarded. I believe in even some of the most insane,ridicoulous films are some true moments of horror. Even in a garbage nudie cutie like The WILD and the NAKED...the scene where the weirdo hermit is doing his disturbing little dance around  the tied up girl....that could be any serial killer nutjob. Reality is MUCH scarier than fiction.
Back in the day, I read all of KING's books.  I stopped after The Tommyknockers or It (I did read Misery, which I think is later.)  Ironically, I never got around to his first, Carrie, but read 'Salem's Lot 3 times (and The Shining 3 times...)  I had a hardback edition of Danse Macabre, but dropped it about half way thru...  and just never got around to finishing it.  I do recall KING was an admirer of SHIRLEY JACKSON.  I need to re-read The Haunting of Hill House, but must recommend another novel of hers, her last, We Have Always Lived In The Castle

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 05:49:34 PM »

Back in the day, I read all of KING's books.  I stopped after The Tommyknockers or It (I did read Misery, which I think is later.)  Ironically, I never got around to his first, Carrie, but read 'Salem's Lot 3 times (and The Shining 3 times...)  I had a hardback edition of Danse Macabre, but dropped it about half way thru...  and just never got around to finishing it.  I do recall KING was an admirer of SHIRLEY JACKSON.  I need to re-read The Haunting of Hill House, but must recommend another novel of hers, her last, We Have Always Lived In The Castle

Iv'e heard of that novel...and do believe I'll hunt it down on ebay!  Smile Thumbup

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 08:47:51 AM »

I always thought that enough time has passed so that King could write a sequel to it. There's loads of horror films these days and Clive Barker has turned up and we could have King's thoughts on him. King could talk about Romero losing the plot completely with Land and Diary of the Dead.
Maybe even that episode of the X Files he co-wrote.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 08:01:07 PM by doggett » Logged

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Brother Ragnarok
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 07:50:34 PM »

How timely.  I just finished this book.  It's mostly really good.  If you have a friend wanting to get into horror, it's a great starter manual.  There's plenty of stuff in it I now have on my list to check out, mostly in the book realm as I've seen just about all the flicks he mentions.
Some things bug me about it, however.  At times he gets a bit self-congratulatory and professor-ish.  He also seems unable to figure out whether he loves or hates things.  He bashes the hell out of TV, says Duel is a great movie, and then later says Duel isn't very good because it was a TV movie.  He keeps saying Lovecraft is the greatest, but later says he couldn't get his ideas across very well.  After the chapter on Harlan Ellison, it seems King derides TV as much as he does simply because Ellison thinks it's crap and King wants to be like the cool kid.  For hating TV so much, though, both of them have done enough of it...
King also apparently has a huge mancrush on Ramsey Campbell.  Rightly so, I feel.  Campbell is one of my top favorite horror writers.  His stuff is every bit as unsettling and perfectly crafted as King says it is.  I've never read anything of Campbell's that didn't make me feel icky and uncomfortable, and not too many things have that effect on me.

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Danse Macabre « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.