Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:37:26 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Can camp be made? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Can camp be made?  (Read 4977 times)
wanderarbeiter
Dedicated Viewer

« on: September 11, 2008, 09:10:57 PM »

"It is a curious attribute of camp that it can only be found, not made".
                                                                            -Dave Kehr-

What I'm basically asking is whether you can find entertainment in a B-movie that was consciously made to be bad. I personally just find it annoying when the movie just grinds to a stop so the movie can say "We made crap and we know it! Take that fourth wall!"

A Masterpiece of Low Expectations
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 09:42:14 PM »

I'm inclined to agree with the Kehr quote. If a movie sets out to be campy, it seldom works as camp. If a movie advertises itself as "campy fun," I can usually be assured that it will be poorly done crap. A movie can be silly and campy (like the '60s Batman), or it can be a movie that took itself seriously but turned out campy due to the sets or the actors or whatever. But usually a movie that sets out to be campy ends up being just tedious and poorly made. Then again, "camp" has come to basically involve a lot of humor mainly aimed at gay audiences, so I may well be ill-suited to comment, being straight and all.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
wanderarbeiter
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 10:16:10 PM »

What I meant by "camp" was "kitsch" or "so bad its good".

A Masterpiece of Low Expectations
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 11:56:21 PM »

We'll have to hunt down John Waters and ask him if he did all that stuff on purpose or not, as he seems to be the king of camp. .

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 04:26:34 AM »

BATMAN was about the only intentional "camp" I found amusing. Very silly...but very fun.
Waters....not a big fan,myself. I have to admit though...I have never been able to sit threw one of his movies....I just don't find them funny. Gross...yes. But not funny. Not my cup 'o' joe. (I would say "tea",but I don't want to sound gay. Lookingup)

Can't stand ROCKY HORROR.  I sound very homophobic,don't I?  Question I don't  think a person has to be gay to enjoy so called "campy" films. I still find it diffucult understanding the definition of the term...even though it's been defined here on this board before. But to set out to make an intentionally BAD movie kinda defeats the purpose. I f  a filmaker is going to set out to make a bad movie....

Dam. I dunno. How could people like Brad Grinter of BLOOD FREAK fame not think that a turkey head pot smoking monster was not a silly premise? But he takes it so seriously. Or does he? Check out his coughing routine in the end narration....I think it may be a hint that he knew he was making an insane , bizzare pile of sh1t, but had fun with it. Ed Wood....now that guy was so clueless.....it made his  films endearing. I truly believe this guy hadda 'vision'. Warped...lost in his own dream.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 07:17:08 AM »

I think it can be made on purpose, but it takes luck, and the ability to ignore the fact that you are trying to do it intentionally.  That was a major reason that "The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra" did not work for me.  They were trying to hard to parody something being cheap and silly.  If they had gone at it in a completely serious manner, but with the same general plot, I think it might have worked for me.

There's Nothing Out There was intended to be a campy send-up of alien monster films, and it works.  However, everybody plays their part in a completely serious way.  Even Mike, who has some great lines.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 07:32:26 AM »

I think of a campy movie as one that may not achieve its stated "goal", but is entertaining nonetheless.  For instance, a lot of '80s slashers.  They tried to make them scary, but they really weren't, however they were still very entertaining.  Questionable acting, ridiculous plots, lots of gratuitous nudity and gore, fun characters, and the under-13 crowd got a good scare out of them.  They knew they weren't making a "good" movie, but they did the best with what they had, threw in a lot of "camp" value, and made an entertainingly bad one. 

Guys like Jim Wynorski and Charles Band have a talent for that stuff, which is why they're two of my favorite film makers.  Jim's got stuff like Chopping Mall, Curse of the Komodo, Not of this Earth, Sorority House Massacre 2, and Raptor to his credit, while Charles has been involved with stuff like Breeders, Slave Girls from Beyond Infinity, Sorority Babes in the Slime Ball Bowl-O-Rama, Puppet Master, Robot Jox, Hideous, Shrieker, etc.  All movies I enjoy because of the camp value, yet none of them are scary or seriously dramatic.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 07:38:18 AM »

I think of a campy movie as one that may not achieve its stated "goal", but is entertaining nonetheless.  For instance, a lot of '80s slashers.  They tried to make them scary, but they really weren't, however they were still very entertaining.  Questionable acting, ridiculous plots, lots of gratuitous nudity and gore, fun characters, and the under-13 crowd got a good scare out of them.  They knew they weren't making a "good" movie, but they did the best with what they had, threw in a lot of "camp" value, and made an entertainingly bad one. 

Yeah freddy krueger in particular went as camp as row of tents...

inframan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 09:09:04 AM »

one word, TROMA  Thumbdown
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 09:48:46 AM »

Terror Firmer comes to mind, , Fun movie IMO, , but it is what it is. . .

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 10:46:49 AM »

Sorry if I hijacked the thread a bit with the camp=gay comment; that's not what I meant to do. I normally equate camp and kitsch, much as you seem to. I still don't really believe that it can be done intentionally and successfully at the same time. As Andrew said, the makers have to play it straight; if they try to camp it up, it will most often turn out just plain bad. The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra is indeed a prime example. If they had just played it straight, without delving into parody, the movie could have been a lot of campy fun. As it is, it is a mediocre parody, mildly amusing in parts, but ultimately just not up to snuff (although I still like Animala. Dance, Animala, dance!  BounceGiggle Twirling BounceGiggle). There are discussions of this already on this board, though I don't feel like searching for them right now. My opinion is that if low-budget filmmakers don't have the ability to make a good movie, they will often (erroneously) go to the opposite extreme, saying, in effect, "Look at how bad this movie is! And we know it's bad! That means it's campy! Yeah, campy, not crappy!" This is much like someone singing and missing a note, then intentionally missing every note after that, just to show they know they messed up and are trying now to make it funny. It's an amateurish response, all right in small doses, but disaster when removed from a live performance, where the performer can make a real connection with the audience (whether that audience be one person or a large group).

So, basically, I guess I agree with you that made-to-be-bad movies are annoying.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
peter johnson

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 11:35:50 AM »

Yeah, as has been said, we did visit this topic more than once before in the past --

Trying to define "camp" is slippery indeed -- Sort of like trying to peg "Postmodernism", or other vague definitions.

Now, I find "Lost Skeleton of Cadavra" to be highly entertaining.  The wife and I laughed a lot with fond recognition as the film-makers took convention after convention from "Cat Women of The Moon", "Rocketship X-M", "It Conquered the World" and other of our beloved films from the '50's and '60's.  Yes, "Dance, Animalia, dance!" is a catch-phrase around our house.

The word "camp" does in fact come from gay theatre culture, specifically from the French "se camper", which means to put oneself in a bold, provocative pose.  This usage comes from around 1670 or so, but by 1909 had been simply shortened to "camp", which at the time meant "tasteless".  However, it wasn't until Susan Sontag codified it in 1964, in her essay "Notes on Camp", that it started to take on meaning for the non-gay general populace.  There's nothing shameful about calling it a "gay" term any more than noting that educated African-American men and women will still say "ax" instead of "ask" as a linguistic symbol of cultural belonging.  (Once upon a time I was going for my Ph.D in Anthropology & still have my Linguistics notes)  Now, of course, "camp" has drifted off into that shadowy area of "I knows it when I sees it!" that so many languages possess -- eg.  I cannot recall the word itself, but Japanese has a word that used to specifically mean only "The feeling one gets when walking in the woods and seeing a flock of cranes come to alight in a still forest pond" -- this word has now taken on broader connotations of just feeling good.

Can camp be intentional?  Sure.  Can it be successfully pulled off with intent?  Yes, but it is rare and takes a talent for bad taste -- As genuine bad taste is frequently more accidental than intentional, therein lies the tar pit.

peter denny/campy crane

I have no idea what this means.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 01:40:55 PM »

That was a major reason that "The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra" did not work for me.  They were trying to hard to parody something being cheap and silly.  If they had gone at it in a completely serious manner, but with the same general plot, I think it might have worked for me.

Roger Ebert agrees with you.
He gives an amusing example in his review of the Lost Skeleton of Cadavra.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 02:00:09 PM by Ash » Logged
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 01:49:23 PM »

I think I'm agreeing with the majority here.  Intentional camp can work, but it's very tricky.  Most filmmakers who try it tend to overplay their hands badly.  They draw attention to the fact that they know they're making camp, and they want you to be sure you know it too.  They're far too concerned with making sure the audience is laughing with them, instead of at them, and they only end up insuring that no one laughs at all

Two directors that come to mind as masters at making deliberate camp are Russ Meyer and Paul Morrissey.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Cthulhu

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2008, 02:09:41 AM »

Well, some of Quentin Tarantino's an Robert Rodrigez's movies are intentionally campy ( Kill Bill, From dusk 'till dawn).
I guess one can pull it off, but it's not easy.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Can camp be made? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.