Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 01:17:47 AM
714254 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Drive A Stick? « previous next »
Poll
Question: Can you drive a manual transmission car?
Yes - 14 (87.5%)
No - 2 (12.5%)
I've never driven a car - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 15

Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Drive A Stick?  (Read 8297 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2008, 12:55:11 PM »

I tended to avoid driving stick after the two driver ed lessons I had in a manual Dodge Omni in the mid-80s (the rest of the course used an automatic). I couldn't seem to get it into first gear without the car stalling on the first couple of tries. And by stalling, I mean hopping around for about 20 seconds then stalling.

When I met my wife, she had a manual Cavalier. Up until a few years ago, I managed to avoid driving that too. Eventually, however, we found some practical reasons why I should use the small car to commute and leave the minivan at home. My wife's attempts to teach me didn't go much better than the earlier efforts.

What finally did it was just driving the car to work every day. I've come to the conclusion that driving stick is something that can't really be taught. It's done almost entirely by feel, so the only way to learn is to do it for a while, until you develop a feel for it. Today, I can honestly say I can drive a manual transmission almost as easily as an automatic. I have to admit, I like being able to control the shift at those times when I want to accelerate really quickly.

There is only one pitfall. When I do drive the minivan, I sometimes forget I'm driving an automatic. Usually, that means reaching for a shifter that isn't there when approaching a turn, but occasionally, I jam my left foot hard on the brake pedal. Whoopsie.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2008, 01:21:54 PM »

I've come to the conclusion that driving stick is something that can't really be taught. It's done almost entirely by feel, so the only way to learn is to do it for a while, until you develop a feel for it.

I agree.
I've taught two people (male and female friends of mine) how to drive a stick and the best I could do was to give them a broad outline as to how it all works.
Then they put it in 1st gear and killed the engine.   Smile

Once they got the "feel" for it, they had no problems.  We drove around until they felt comfortable going out into heavy traffic.
They did well, except for the couple times they killed the engine again at a stop light or sign.

Someone else mentioned being stopped or parked on a hill when driving a stick. 
I hate when I think I'm gonna back into the car behind me.  Those of us who know how to drive one know that when you give it gas on a hill, the car rolls back a little bit.  It's especially nerve wracking in winter when you're on a slick hill and someone pulls up extra close. 
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 08:08:06 AM by Ash » Logged
Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2008, 10:58:50 PM »

I'm only 16, I can barely drive at all, let alone you're nutty stck shifts.  I do hope to learn how one day, as it may come in handy, maybe after I can get a job I'll be able to find one really cheap and it wont matter if I completley destroy it.

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2008, 07:15:29 AM »

I'm only 16, I can barely drive at all, let alone you're nutty stck shifts.  I do hope to learn how one day, as it may come in handy, maybe after I can get a job I'll be able to find one really cheap and it wont matter if I completley destroy it.

It's just one more pedal. You get so you don't notice it. Of course, the hand that is busy with the stick shift is not going to be available for texting, playing with the CD player, drinking from the open whiskey bottle and flipping through the novel you're reading while you drive. But for some reason driving teachers frown on that stuff anyway.
Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2008, 03:47:27 PM »

It's just one more pedal. You get so you don't notice it. Of course, the hand that is busy with the stick shift is not going to be available for texting, playing with the CD player, drinking from the open whiskey bottle and flipping through the novel you're reading while you drive. But for some reason driving teachers frown on that stuff anyway.

That was my main worry is that I'm not the best multitasker, so I may have trouble focusing on what my hand is doing along with concentrating on the road.

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
Raffine

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2008, 06:07:20 PM »

When I was in college the clutch went out in my Datsun B210. My dad told me that with practice I could drive without the clutch.

It was a bit tricky, but he was right.

I also periodically had ignition trouble so had to learn to start the thing by letting it roll and 'popping' the clutch.

It used to burn through headlight fuses like nothin' so I'd buy them by the box - and could change the fuse when it blew without stopping or even really slowing down.

Mine didn't look quite this good.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 06:17:06 PM by Raffine » Logged

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2008, 06:31:53 PM »

Yeah, I knew guys who could drive without the clutch, back at the age when showing off was reason enough to learn the skill. At my age, I need a better reason to grind the crap out of my gears figuring it out. I did have the fun experience of having a cable come loose, changing the position of my gears. Totally baffling, until I figured out what gear I was in and where the others were.

The Cavalier has actually not been out of the driveway in a little while. Needs front bearings (which I have), and a couple free hours when it's light out and not raining (which I don't have). Decided about a year ago that it just isn't worth the cost of paying a mechanic to work on that thing.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2008, 10:09:45 AM »

What is a "3 on the column manual transmission"? 
I've never heard of one before.

It was/is call "3 on the tree" a floor shift is "4 in the floor" or "4 in the floor and a 5th under the seat"

I never had anything but sticks, mainly because I've never had anything but 4X4's and a automatic 4X4 is just stupid. All my tractor are manuals, trucks manuals, cars manuals, motorcycles manual, the closest thing to a automatic I have the hydrostatic drive on my John Deere lawnmower.

Eyesore
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2008, 01:09:59 PM »

I've always had stick shift 4x4's as a primary vehicle and it was difficult for me to trust anything "new", like when I didn't have to get out of the vehicle and lock the front hubs by hand, etc.. 2 years ago, I bought a Jeep XJ with an auto tranny. I now trust them. I'll be putting ARB lockers on it this winter for rock crawling come spring. I saw no place for an auto either until I had one, and rock-crawled with guys who had auto's in their Rubicon's. It allows you to pick different lines and approaches for obstacles.

Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Drive A Stick? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.