Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:36:29 AM
713399 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Sand Pebbles (1966) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Sand Pebbles (1966)  (Read 4961 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« on: September 15, 2008, 09:42:32 AM »

this is that movie you sometimes see on TCM where there is a little chinese guy fighting a big american sailor in a bar surrounded by other chinese people and sailors cheering them on.  It's long (3 hours )  and some parts are more exciting than others but all in all it's a very good movie.    certainly better than, say, Ice Station Zebra.    I had never seen Steve McQueen before and he was great.  I also liked the chinese actress who's name I don't know as the hostess at the brothel the sailors go to.  She is clearly not cut out for the whore house life style and one of the sailors concern for her drives an interesting sub plot.  Some of the politics are a little heavy handed but the movie itself is not utopian or PC or anything like that.  shows that the communist uprising was stupid but pretty much inevitable.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 09:44:54 AM by lester1/2jr » Logged
peter johnson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 12:13:22 PM »

This is one of several hundred American films that do-it-all Phillippino actor Mako appeared in.  Here he's the "subservient" cabin-boy, ship's launderer -- I was lucky enough to work with him on "Wonderful Wizard of Oz" --
Yes, a very good film indeed.  Try to find the Mad Magazine parody of it in one of their anthologies, as they really nail a lot of the conventions of the day --
peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 04:38:24 PM »

I bought this DVD 2 or 3 years ago and really enjoyed it.  McQueen was good, but I thought his performance would have been better because he got an Oscar nomination.  I suspect it may have partially been a "pity" nomination because he was a box office star for several years but never received an Academy Award.  I sort of feel the same way about John Wayne in TRUE GRIT.  Certainly one of the Duke's best performances, but I'm not 100% convinced it was Oscar worthy.  I think he got somewhat of a break because of his popularity at the box office.  Not to mention Art Carney getting a questionable Oscar for HARRY AND TONTO . . .

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Neville

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 09:56:23 AM »

Very good film, I saw it as a kid and some of its images are deep buried in my mind. I saw it again a few years ago, found it good but with its share of problems. Like the idea od pressenting McQueen's character as somebody who wants to fit in the Sand Peebles, then forget about it, or how, when it comes to the Big Action Scene the film wants it to exploit it both ways, as the Big (and rousing) Action scene and as a monumental f**k up from a captain with a death wish.

And finally (and this is always a problem with Robert Wise films), it wouldn't have hurt to trim the running time just a little bit.

Not that it is a bad movie, it's a rather good one. After all, it does have a bunch of memorable scenes (a personal favourite, McQueen shooting a crew member who has been captured), good performances, wonderful sets and cinematography, and a desire to transform some long forgotten Chinese conflict into a sort of Vietnam allegory. Can't remember the last time I went to the movies and the film had even a subtext that wasn't "try the popcorn". 

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 10:22:16 AM »

Wise made a disaster movie "the hindenberg" that I really liked.
Neville

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 10:25:52 AM »

And a disastrous Star Trek movie too, let's not forget that.  TeddyR

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
peter johnson

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 10:31:46 AM »

Wise also did 3 of the coolest movies of all time, for lovers of this website:  The Haunting, The Day the Earth Stood Still, and, perhaps the best of the bunch: . . . CURSE OF THE CAT PEOPLE!!!

Yeah, he also did Sound of Music & West Side Story, but nobody's perfect . . .

peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
Neville

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 10:50:44 AM »

Alright, "The haunting" rules, I admit it. Thumbup
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 04:45:18 AM by Neville » Logged

trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 11:31:43 AM »

Don't forget  The Andromeda Strain, The Sound of Music, The Body Snatcher, and one of my fave submarine movies Run Silent, Run Deep (Can' beat having Clark Gable and Don Rickles in the same movie).

The man had a lot more hits than misses.  He also has a lot of people to share blame with over STMP. .

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 07:02:10 PM »

I like ROBERT WISE movies, including THE SAND PEBBLES, but have to say I've never liked THE SOUND OF MUSIC very much, but I think that's a matter of taste.  THE HAUNTING is great (but not perfect, though nearly so...)  WEST SIDE STORY still works for me and I really like the music.  He also directed EXECUTIVE SUITE, ODDS AGAINST TOMORROW, and I WANT TO LIVE! three superior films that I love

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 05:20:00 PM »

Based on the novel of the same title by Richard McKenna, which is a somewhat fictionalized retelling of the story of the American gunboat U.S.S. San Pablo, which was sunk by the Japanese, during their invasion of China in the 1930's. The sinking almost leading to war with Japan.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Sand Pebbles (1966) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.